Architecture
Farmers State Bank Building
The Merchants and Farmers Bank began in 1898 and incorporated as Farmers State Bank in 1905. In 1910, bank officers contracted for the building of a new bank onto existing commercial property at this site. Construction was finished in 1912.
History
First Christian Church of Taylor
Founded Dec. 9, 1877, with 22 charter members from churches in "old home" states. Gen. R. M. Gano of Dallas preached daily during ensuing week, and 20 others joined the church. The initial meeting was in an Odd Fellows hall. In 1878, a church building was erected. Present Gothic Revival church was built in 1891. Architect: E. B. Mackin.
History
First National Bank of Bartlett
Jesse L. Bailey (1848-1926) and his son Charles C. Bailey (1871-1947) opened a private bank in conjunction with a mercantile business in Bartlett in 1898. J. L. Bailey and Son, Bankers, was replaced by the First National Bank of Bartlett in 1900. The institution was located on Clark Street downtown in a building that straddled the Williamson-Bell county line.
History
First Presbyterian Church
The Rev. William Mumford Baker presided over this congregation's organization in 1854 at the Round Rock home of Richard and Mary Agnes (Cooper) Sansom. By 1856, the church was meeting in Georgetown, where C.A.D. Clamp deeded a site (at 4th and Myrtle streets) for a sanctuary and one of the town's first schools.
History
First Presbyterian Church of Bartlett
Built for congregation originally called Nazareth Church of the Central Texas Presbytery, and constituted on Indian Creek in June 1875. Reorganized here in 1897. Sanctuary erected in 1899. Victorian architecture. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
History
First United Methodist Church of Georgetown
Founded in 1849 as Georgetown Mission, organized 1874 but still served then by circuit riders, this church acquired a resident pastor in 1879. Original building was erected in 1881-82 on the Southwestern University campus. The present church structure was built in 1891-93, of native limestone, hand-cut at this site. Physics professor Robert S. Hyer was the supervising architect.
History
Fore Cemetery
Wiley Fore and his family came to this area from Alabama in 1883. The Baker community had been started two years earlier by Fore's nephew, Robert Baker, and his family. Soon after his arrival Fore organized the Bethel Cumberland Presbyterian Church and the local chapter of the Grange. In 1884 he donated a one-acre plot of land for use as a free community cemetery, known as the Fore Graveyard.
History
Founding of Georgetown
According to local tradition Williamson County's first six commissioners met here under a stately oak tree in May 1848 to decide where the county seat should be located. Prominent local landowner George Washington Glasscock, Sr., later joined them and offered to donate an area of land bounded by the tree at one corner and the San Gabriel River to the north and west as a site for the county seat.
History
Friendship Community
Beneath the waters of Granger Lake, constructed by the U.S. Corps of Engineers in the 1970s, lies the site of an early agricultural settlement known as Allison and later as Friendship. Brothers Elihu Creswell Allison and James A. Allison began ranching here in 1847, in what was then Milam County. A post office named Conel operated 1878-80, and in 1892 a new post office opened for Allison.
History
Gabriel Mills
Samuel Mather settled here in 1849, building a gristmill on the North San Gabriel in 1852. John G. Stewart opened a store near the mill. A small log cabin was in use by 1854 for church, school and lodge meetings. A post office was established in 1858, Mather being postmaster. W. L. Brizendine owned the mill by 1865, adding a cotton gin.
History
George Irvine House
Scottish native George Irvine (1841-1936) built this two-story frame home for his family in 1886. The founder of the Irvine Brothers Lumber Co. (later the Belford Lumber Co.), Irvine was a civic leader who served on the school board, the city council, and the vestry of Grace Episcopal Church. In 1922 he sold the house to postmaster Simon J.
History
Georgetown Fire House and Old City Hall
Designed by C.I. Belford and constructed in 1892 by C.W. Schell, this building originally housed the mayor's office, city council chambers, city jail, fire department, and the Georgetown Water Co. Over the years, it also has served as a meeting place for the Second Baptist Church and as chamber of commerce offices.
Architecture
Georgetown High School Building
Built in 1923-24 on the original site of Southwestern University, this structure served as Georgetown High School for over fifty years. Designed by Austin architect Charles H. Page and exhibiting influences of the Spanish Colonial Revival style of architecture, the building features a Baroque entryway with cast stone detailing that includes motifs of shells, flowers, urns, and garlands.
History
Granger Brethren Church
Czech Protestant immigrants began settling in this area in the early 1880s. Many of them established family farms in the rich farmland surrounding Granger. The Czechs' first organized worship service was held in a schoolhouse east of town in the early 1880s. Services were held sporadically whenever a traveling minister was available to preach. The Rev.
Architecture
Granger City Hall (Farmers State Bank)
Erected in 1908-09, this building originally housed Farmers State Bank, the second banking institution founded in Granger. The bank closed in 1926 and the building became the Granger City Hall in 1929. An architectural hybrid of the late 19th century Victorian era, it exhibits influences of Italianate, Moorish, and Romanesque design styles.
Architecture
Granger High School
Established in 1887, the Granger Common School District built three earlier school buildings (1887, 1906 and 1914) on this site before this structure was erected in 1924-25. A good example of institutional design of the period, the building features ornamentation of the Spanish Colonial Revival style, as exhibited in its "Alamotif" parapet, tile panels, cast-stone detailing at the parapet and…
History
Granite for the State Capitol
In the 1880s, the arrival of the railroad helped develop western Williamson County and contributed to the construction of a new state capitol. When quarried limestone proved deficient for the new statehouse, contractors chose granite from Burnet County outcroppings.
History
H.C. Craig Building
Built in 1903, this ornate Victorian structure originally housed the furniture store of Hugh Clifford Craig (1850-1938). Craig sold his business to local competitor W.H. Davis in 1906, but retained ownership of the building. In 1936, after the Davis Furniture Company moved, Craig sold the structure to S.W. Henderson, who ran a variety store here for many years.
History
Hall Named for Laura L. Kuykendall
(1883-1935) Southwestern University dean of women, 1918-1935. Descendant of pre-1820 Texas settlers. An artist and teacher of dramatic interpretation. In tribute to her exemplary Christian life, her influence on students, and her love for Southwestern, the board of trustees in 1935 named this women's building in her honor. (1968)
History
Harrell Cemetery
Jacob M. and Mary McCutcheon Harrell came to Texas from Tennessee with Robertson's Nashville colony in 1833. Jacob's brother and sister-in-law James G. and Catherine Harrell and other family members soon followed. Both brothers served in the Texas Army.
History
Heinatz Homestead
Built in fall of 1850, along with adjoining store and post office, all of native stone, by John Frederick Heinatz (1822-91), a settler from Germany. He was for many years postmaster of Bagdad, a public school trustee, superintendent of Sunday School, banker, and practical advisor to his neighbors.
History
Here Sleep the Victims of the "Webster Massacre"
Here sleep the victims of the "Webster Massacre" of August 27, 1839. About thirty homeseekers headed by John Webster en route to what is now Burnet County, were attacked by a band of Comanche Indians. After attempting to flee under cover of darkness, they were trapped in this vicinity. Mrs. Webster and her two children were captured and later released. All the others were killed.
Architecture
Home of A. J. Nelson
Home of A. J. Nelson, rancher-banker from Sweden. Swedish masons, paying voyage costs, built this house, 1860. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Hopewell Cemetery
Pioneers who settled here in the 1840s and established the town of Hopewell faced many hardships, including Indian raids. Wofford and Mary Johnson and their daughter were killed by Comanches nearby in 1863. They were buried at this site near the grave of Cornelia Johnson, whose burial is the first recorded here.
History
Howard Bland, Sr.
(1848-1933) Born in Zanesville, Ohio, Howard Bland, Sr., came to Texas in 1878 and began raising sheep on his homestead near this site. An annual sheep shearing contest evolved into a community fair, and Bland donated land for the annual event.