History
100th Anniversary Brenham "Banner-Press"
(1866-1966) Founded Jan. 1, 1866, as weekly "Southern Banner", by Dan McGary and John C. Rankin, Confederate veterans. For his independent policies, editor McGary was jailed that year; shop and nearby businesses burned. But paper survived; became a daily in 1876. "Banner" was merged with "Press" in 1912 by George Neu. Mrs.
History
Andrew Robinson Sr.
First settler of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colonists to arrive in Texas. Came November 1821 with his wife Nancy and 2 children. In 1824 he received title to over 9,000 acres of land and was made a captain in the colonial militia. The town of Washington was surveyed on his grant and he became a co-founder of it.
Architecture
Applewhite House
Built 1852 by minister, lawyer and teacher, Isaac Applewhite, whose hobby was carpentry. Hand-hewn native cedar construction. Typical Victorian architecture. Builder also operated a steam saw mill and grist mill with F. J. Cooke. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
History
Asa Brigham
Alcalde of Brazoria municipality, 1835; signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, 1836; auditor of the Republic, 1836; treasurer of the Republic 1836-1840 and 1841-44. Born in Massachusetts 1790; died in Washington, Texas July 2, 1844.
History
Atkinson Cemetery
Name honors 1857 mayor of Chappell Hill, Jethro Atkinson, whose plantation was nearby. In 1844, date of earliest marked grave, site was owned by Robert Wooding Chappell, for whom city was named. Formed in 1957, Atkinson Cemetery Association provides perpetual care. 1966
History
Barrington Plantation
Anson Jones, the last president of the Republic of Texas, bought 1,107 acres here from M. Austin Bryan in 1844. This site, named "Barrington" for Jones' birthplace in Massachusetts, was the "White House of Texas" from 1844-46. By 1845 Jones had built two dwellings, a kitchen, office, smokehouse, and stables. After Jones' leadership in the annexation of Texas to the U.S.
Architecture
Bassett and Bassett Banking House
Benjamin H. and Thomas J. Bassett opened their newly-created bank and located their law office in this building soon after its completion in 1873. Built with bricks manufactured by the local Wild & Co. Brickyard, the Italianate structure housed the bank until it closed in 1884. An important Brenham landmark, the building features round arches and stucco hood moldings at door and window openings.
History
Baylor University for Boys
On this site stood one of the early buildings of Baylor University erected for boys in 1851, and torn down in 1934; The institution was incorporated February 1, 1845 under the laws of the Republic of Texas; named for Robert Emmett Bledsoe Baylor who with Reverend William M. Tryon secured the charter; Henry L.
History
Baylor University on Windmill Hill
In 1845, the Republic of Texas chartered Baylor University at Independence, and it began on the west side of town on Academy Hill. Shortly, work on a second campus began here at Windmill Hill (Allen's Hill). James Huckins developed a site plan and a nearby quarry provided "superior building rock." Initially, Academy Hill served as the preparatory campus and Windmill Hill as the academic campus.
History
Bethlehem Cemetery
Located on land granted to Josiah Lester by the Mexican government prior to Texas independence, this cemetery began in the 1850s after subsequent land-owner Erwin Brown set aside land for a school and church. The site also served as a community burial ground, and the earliest documented grave is that of Susan J. Burdett, who died in 1854 at age 39.
History
Blinn College
Founded as "Mission Institute", March 28, 1883. Methodist affiliated. 1887 gift of Rev. Christian Blinn of New York built main hall. Name was changed 1889 to Blinn Memorial. This main building erected 1906. Became junior college, 1927. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
Industry & Science
Blue Bell Creameries
In August 1907, the Brenham Creamery Company formed to purchase excess dairy products from farmers and produce butter local sales. In 1911, the creamery began making ice cream, producing a maximum of two gallons each day. E.F. Kruse, who managed the creamery from 1919 to 1951, changed the company's name to Blue Bell Creameries in 1930.
History
Brenham
Founded 1843. Named for Richard Fox Brenham (1810-1843), Republic of Texas patriot. Railhead and supply center in Civil War. Blinn Memorial College founded here, 1883. Center for farming, trade and manufacturing. Home of famous annual Maifest, colorful folk tradition. Historical sites marked.
History
Brenham Fire Department
Two volunteer organizations, Brenham Hook and Ladder Co. and the Fire Protection Co., were started May 28, 1867, ostensibly to fight fires. In reality they were also military companies to suppress lawlessness until in 1874 Reconstruction ended. In 1875 a fire alarm bell and in 1880 a 50-gallon cistern were installed on courthouse square. The second steam fire engine in Texas was purchased in 1878.
History
Brenham Normal and Industrial College
Brenham's African American and Anglo community leaders first discussed the Brenham Normal and Industrial College (BNIC) in a public meeting in March 1905, when Daniel Porter (1863-1916) came to the area seeking land and a building to create a school for African Americans. The college was legally established on April 17, 1906, when it purchased acreage for their campus. Alonzo (A.L.
Civic & Local
Brenham Public Library
First in county. Founded 1901 and still maintained by Fortnightly Literary Club, with county and city support. All housing has been donated. First call for books brought 1,000 volumes. In 1934 occupied present quarters built by the city. (1966)
Civic & Local
Burton Cafe
Built in 1937 by Edward Whitener and Quintus Zwernemann, this cafe has been a popular feature of downtown Burton through the years. Serving as both a cafe and social center for generations, it also included a liquor store at one time. Outdoor bathroom facilities were replaced in 1984.
History
Burton Community
John M. Burton (1806-77) of Georgia came to Texas in the 1820s, and to this area in 1834. When the Houston & Texas Central Railroad was being built in 1869, he sold land for townsite. Post office opened Sept. 23, 1870, with Charles Huberich as postmaster. Early businesses included a mercantile store, lumber yard, blacksmith, tin shop, cotton gin, oil mill, drugstore, and leather shop.
Transport
Burton Depot
Burton began as a terminal on the Houston & Texas Central Railroad in 1870. A depot, built that year, burned in 1898 and was replaced by this structure. Built according to standard plans of the Southern Pacific Railroad (which absorbed the Houston & Texas Central), it exhibits elements of the Queen Anne and Italianate styles.
Industry & Science
Burton Farmers Gin
In December 1913 a group of local farmers met to organize the Burton Farmers Gin Association. This two-story corrugated metal-clad gin building was constructed in 1914. The gin's machinery was steam-powered until 1925, when an oil engine was installed. The only cotton gin in town after 1948, it continued operations through 1974.
Architecture
Burton High School
Burton Public Schools opened in 1874, and by 1926 nine grades were offered. In 1938, construction on Burton's first high school began. Funded through the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA), the building was completed in 1940. Designed by architect Travis Broesche and built by local contractor will Weeren, the school exhibits international and rustic architectural style.
History
Burton State Bank
Chartered in 1906, the Burton State Bank was founded by C. W. Homeyer (1855-1932), who also served as first bank president. Members of the first Board of Directors included Thomas Watson, H. Knittel, Ed Schatz, I. N. Carmean, W. Bauer, and O. A. Schatz. The Burton State Bank was closed during the Great Depression of the 1930s for three days, was found solvent, and reopened.
History
Camptown Cemetery
This burial ground is the oldest predominantly African American cemetery in Brenham. It dates from the 1860s and historically has been associated with the nearby Mount Rose Missionary Baptist Church. After the Civil War former Washington County slaves, many of whom also organized Mount Rose and St. John A. M. E. Churches, relocated to the wooded area of what became known as the Camptown addition.
History
Cedar Creek Community
CEDAR CREEK COMMUNITY Located halfway between San Felipe de Austin and the town of Washington, Cedar Creek existed from the mid-1830s to the early 1850s. Cedar creek was inhabited by Methodists and became the center for the Texas Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1849, Chappell Hill was founded by the Cedar Creek Community. Chappell Hill M.E. Church became the hub of Methodism in central Texas.
History
Chappell Hill
Founded 1847. Named for Robert Chappell, an 1841 settler. Early education center, with Chappell Hill Male and Female Institute, 1852, and Soule University, 1850. Male students marched away to Civil War in 1861. C.S.A. Quartermaster Depot located here.