History
Hutto
Located near Shiloh, one of the earliest villages in Williamson County, this area was settled in 1855 by J. E. Hutto (1824-1914) and Adam Orgain, a former slave. Hutto sold land for this townsite to the International & Great Northern Railroad in 1876. A post office was established in 1877 with Hutto as postmaster. By 1882, the town had a school and a Baptist church.
History
Hutto Cemetery
T.A. Boatright buried a family child and her husband, E.B., here in the late 1880s when the site was known as Elmwood Cemetery. In 1889, she bought land here from C.P. and Julia Crews. Several graves already existed in addition to those of her family, and many were unmarked. Today, the earliest marked grave is that of Joseph Metcalfe (d. 1887).
History
Hutto Evangelical Lutheran Church
Lutheran church services in Hutto can be traced to 1890, when ministers M. Noyd and Gustav Berglund of the Palm Valley Lutheran Church at Brushy (now Round Rock) conducted occasional services for the area's rapidly growing Swedish population. In 1892 August Swenson led a successful effort to organize the Hutto Evangelical Lutheran Church.
History
Hutto Lutheran Cemetery
In 1892, several Swedish immigrants who had settled in the Hutto area established the Swedish Lutheran Evangelical Church. In 1894 a tornado destroyed the first sanctuary, built by members on Short Street. After utilizing a second church building for several years, the congregation moved to East Live Oak and Church Streets in 1902.
History
Immanuel Lutheran Church
German immigrants began settling in the new railroad town of Taylor in the 1880s. Lutheran worship services were held as early as 1885, and the Rev. I. J. Glatzle and fourteen families formally organized this congregation in 1888. The Rev. Gus Szillat became the church's first resident pastor when a parsonage was built in 1892.
History
In Memory of George Washington Glasscock, Sr.
For whom the city of Georgetown and the county of Glasscock, Texas are named. Born in Kentucky April 11, 1810. Participated in the Black Hawk War, 1832. Came to Texas in 1834 amd fought for its independence from Mexico 1835-1836. Surveyor, soldier, legislator, helped to organize Williamson County and donated 172 acres of land for the county site. Died at Austin, Texas February 28, 1868.
History
In Memory of Robert Jones Rivers
Pioneer patriot, lawyer and orator. Born in Virginia in 1806. Died in Georgetown, December 14, 1854. His eloquence protected the helpless, his wit charmed all. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
In Memory of The Pioneer Builders
In memory of the pioneer builders of the Greenwood Masonic Institute, 1867-1881, one quarter mile west and Round Rock Institute, one half mile south, 1881-1891, under auspices Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 1881-1887, and the Southern Presbyterian Church, 1887-1891, "Built for the People by the People" of Round Rock and vicinity. Erected by the State of Texas - 1936
Nature
Inner Space Cavern (Laubach Cave)
Discovered in 1963 on land of W. W. Laubach by core-drilling team, Texas Highway Department. Exploration begain in November 1963 and continues to present. Carved by water from Edwards limestone, cave lies along the Balcones Fault and is estimated to be 100 million years old. 95 percent of formations are still growing.
History
J. A. McDougle Home
One of the many fine structures erected by C. S. Belford Lumber Co., this house was built in 1895 for grocer J. A. McDougle (d. 1939). the Victorian styling included ornate stained glass windows. The home was bought in 1901 by John R. Allen and in 1910 by W. J. Flanagan, who was county treasurer for several terms. His family lived here until Mr. and Mrs. Halsell P. Armstrong became owners (1945).
History
James B. Williams
(1821-1891) A pioneer of this region. Born in Madison County, KY. With bride, Sarah Coffey, came to Texas in wagon train led by his father, Isaac, and including brothers David, John R., Kelse, and other kin. Moved to Berry's Creek area on Dec. 24, 1848. Served in Texas Rangers company of his uncle, Capt. John Williams, 1854-1862. Lived in San Saba County, 1850s.
Military
James O. Rice
(1815 - about 1875) South Carolina-born James O. Rice migrated to Texas by 1835 and served in the Texas Army during the War for Independence. In early days of the Republic of Texas, he protected frontier settlements as part of a Texas Ranger company.
History
Jarrell
During the early 1900s, plans were made for the construction of the Bartlett and Western Railway to run from Bartlet to Florence. The line was to serve as a feeder to the MK&T (Katy) Railroad, which passed daily through Bartlett. Temple real estate developer Orlando D.
History
Jessie Daniel Ames
(1883-1972) A native of Palestine, Texas, Jessie Daniel came to Georgetown in 1893. She graduated from Southwestern University in 1902. In 1904 she moved to Laredo, where she married Roger Post Ames (d. 1914), and Army surgeon. They were the parents of three children.
History
John Berry, Frontiersman
(1786-1866) A native of Kentucky and veteran of the War of 1812, John Berry moved in 1816 to Indiana. In 1827 he brought his family to the Atascosito District of Texas. Mexico awarded him lots in Liberty and Mina (Bastrop) when those towns were founded. Berry's oldest sons, Joseph (1811-1842), John Bate (1813-1891), and Andrew Jackson (1816-1899), served in the Republic of Texas Army.
History
John G. Matthews
(March 3, 1874-November 4, 1903) Tennessee native John Giles Matthews came to Texas with his parents in 1839 and settled in the new town of Austin. A Ranger for the Republic of Texas, Matthews served in the Mexican War and the Civil War before moving to Williamson County in 1870. Here he was a farmer and was active in church, school and civic activities.
History
John G. Matthews House
After coming to Texas with his parents in 1840, John G. Matthews (1824-1903) joined a Ranger company and fought in the Mexican War (1846-48). He married Nancy Leanorah Carothers (1838-93) and in 1872 built this hand-hewn native limestone house, which his family occupied until about 1885.
History
Jolly Cemetery
This pioneer burial ground is a reminder of the area's earliest settlers. It was formally set aside by John Grey Jolly (1825-99) and his wife, Nancy Isabel (Eskew) (1825-1921) -- both buried here -- for whom Jollyville community was named. The earliest marked grave is that of Margaret Evergreen Robinson, who died in 1872.
History
Jollyville Community and School
This area was first settled in the 1840s by Henry Rhodes. He was soon joined by such pioneers as Elisha Prewitt, who fought in the Battle of San Jacinto, and Civil War veterans Elisha Rhodes, J. Bryon Jenkins, and William H. Thompson, whose home at this site served as a stage stop. In 1866 Confederate veteran John G. Jolly established the Jollyville community.
History
Judge Greenleaf Fisk
(May 19, 1807 - Jan. 26, 1888) Born in Albany, New York, Greenleaf Fisk was the son of a Presbyterian minister. He began preparation for the ministry himself but left his studies to migrate to the Texas frontier. In 1834 he settled in Bastrop. There he joined a company of volunteers and fought at the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. Later he was elected to the Republic of Texas Senate.
History
Judge Harry N. Graves
Born April 4, 1877 in La Vernia (Wilson County), Harry Graves attended Southwestern University in Georgetown and later served three terms as city attorney. As Williamson County attorney, he aided the prosecution in a landmark trial against the Ku Klux Klan, 1923-24 (he lived at this site at the time). District attorney and future governor Dan Moody led the team.
History
Kimbro Family Cemetery
This small family cemetery contains the graves of members of a pioneer Williamson County family. Named for Daniel Kimbro, who was buried here in 1882, the plot remained in family ownership for over one hundred years. Daniel Kimbro arrived in the Republic of Texas in 1836, the year independence from Mexico was declared.
History
Land Cemetery
THIS BURIAL GROUND ORIGINALLY SERVED THE CORN HILL COMMUNITY, AN EARLY WILLIAMSON COUNTY SETTLEMENT NAMED BY COUNTY JUDGE JOHN E. KING FOR THE FIELDS OF CORN SURROUNDING HIS HOME. BY THE 1880s, CORN HILL HAD A POST OFFICE, BUSINESSES, CHURCHES, FRATERNAL LODGES, COTTON GINS, MILLS, A NEWSPAPER AND A SCHOOL. LAND CEMETERY IS ON PROPERTY OWNED BY SETTLERS NICHOLAS (d.
History
Lawler Community
Founded before mid-1800s. Named for early settler L. T. "Uncle Lee" Lawler. Beloved by citizens, for years he leased land free to community for school, church, and cemetery. First school, named for Edward Stevenson (land donor) began before 1872. Now farm and ranch area.
History
Lawrence Chapel Cemetery
Adam Lawrence (1799-1878), pioneer farmer and cattle raiser, donated this tract in 1840. Born in Kentucky, he received a Texas land grant, 1822. Fought in Texas Revolution (1836) and many Indian battles. Once jumped horse 20 feet into river below to evade war party.