History
1931 Free Bridge Controversy
As a result of late 1920s legislation in Texas and Oklahoma, the two states cooperated on a project to build free highway bridges spanning the Red River to accommodate rapidly increasing highway traffic. One of these bridges was near Colbert Bridge, a toll bridge descended from the mid-19th century Colbert's Ferry.
History
Aaron S. Mangum
(September 3, 1812 - August 10, 1884) South Carolinian Aaron Mangum came to Texas with a Georgia battalion in 1835 and served under Colonel James Fannin at Goliad. Mangum took ill during an expeditionary mission and fatefully avoided death at the Goliad Massacre. He married Leonora Snively in 1836 and together they lived in Mississippi and Georgia before moving here to Grayson County about 1869.
History
Andrew Hanson
(1855-1940) Owned Sherman's first bakery for 35 years. Born in Schleswigholstein, Denmark. Came to United States, 1872, and to Texas, 1878. With F. W. Boedeker (whose interest he soon bought) started the Star Bakery, 1879. Had first delivery service, first commercially made ice cream in town. Built family residences at two midtown sites. Married (1880) Anna Lundorf; had 4 children.
History
Andrew L. Randell
(Aug. 15, 1880 - Mar. 14, 1931) A native of Denison, Andrew Randell graduated from Princeton University and the University of Texas. He opened a law practice in Sherman nad was active in civic and church affairs. He and his wife Vera (Harrison) had two daughters.
History
Austin College
Oldest college in Texas operating under original charter. Founded in 1849 by the Presbytery of Brazos under leadership of Daniel Baker. Named for Stephen F. Austin, father of Texas. Opened in Huntsville with Sam Houston, Anson Jones, and Henderson Yoakum-- Texas statesmen-- among original trustees. Bell donated by Houston hangs in present chapel.
History
Barron Cemetery
Named for John Barron (1831-87), a Civil War veteran who came here from Virginia and bought a good farm in 1870. Married first to Delilah Ward (d. 1860s), then to Margaret McElroy, he had fifteen children. About 1875 he gave land for a church-school building and this community cemetery, where he and some other members of his family were later buried.
Architecture
Barron-Veazey House
Influenced by the Prairie School of architecture in its form and its large, overhanging eaves, this home was built in 1905 for the family of Walter and Pearl Barron. A local merchant and banker, Barron sold the house in 1920 to hardware merchant R. Lee Veazey, in whose family it remained until 1965.
Architecture
Bennett-Richardson House
This residence was built in 1902 for the family of local business leader Bland Bennett and Grace (Dunlap) Bennett. Exhibiting Victorian and classical revival detailing, its prominent features include a 1-story wraparound porch with a pedimented primary entrance, a hipped roof, and corbelled chimneys. Its transitional floor plan is reminiscent of both center passage and American foursquare plans.
History
Binion Homestead
Georgia natives Thomas Noel Binion (1827-1900) and Pauline Walker Binion (1829-1915) migrated to Texas after the Civil War. They moved to the Oxford community in Grayson County where they purchased this 107-acre farm in 1871. Thomas and Pauline reared four children here: Zeph (1856-1928), Homer (1865-1926), Robert E. Lee "Eddie" (1869-1945), and Sarah (1872-1955).
History
Birthplace of Dwight D. Eisenhower
Thirty-fourth president of the United States; born here Oct. 14, 1890, third son of David J. and Ida Elizabeth Stover Eisenhower. Dwight Eisenhower graduated from the U. S. Military Academy, 1915; in 1943, during World War II, was appointed commanding general of Allied Forces in Europe; served as president of Columbia University, 1948-1952; was President of U. S.
History
Boy Scout Troop 1 (Troop 44)
Boy Scout Troop 1 (Troop 44) The U.S. Congress chartered the Boy Scouts of America organization in 1910. Just two years later, three Van Alstyne boys, Rowland Barnett, Otis White and Rae Nunnallee, received a Boy Scout storybook. Barnett made a Christmas wish and, in March 1913, the Van Alstyne troop received its charter--one of the first in the state. W.F.
History
Butterfield Overland Mail Route Through Grayson County
In the mid-19th century, mail traffic between the eastern United States and the western states and territories was accomplished via Panama and Cape Horn. In 1857, Congress authorized the postmaster to contract a new overland mail service. The successful bidder for the southern route was John Butterfield, who agreed to convey mail twice weekly in 25 days per run. The "Oxbow Trail" originated at St.
History
Cannon Cemetery
Elijah Cannon, his eleven sons, and slaves moved from South Carolina to Texas in 1852 and settled nearby. In 1874 the family graveyard was included in land deeded by O. M. Cannon as a community burial place. The oldest documented grave is that of ten-year-old Nancy J. Bowen in 1857.
History
Capt. John Henry LeTellier
(January 21, 1842 - July 18, 1913) Born in Virginia. Educated at Bethany College. In 1861 he joined Confederate army, serving in Co. K, 24th Va. Inf. Fought in Battles of Manassas, Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Gettysburg and others. Received several wounds, one serious (at Plymouth). Resumed teaching at end of war. Came to Texas and operated the Sherman Private School, 1871-1913.
History
Captain N. A. Birge House
Connecticut native Noble Allan Birge (1832-1902) came to Texas prior to the Civil War. Settling in Jefferson with his wife and children, he was the first elected sheriff of Marion County in 1860. Following his service as a captain in the Confederate army, Birge became a leading businessman in Jefferson.
Transport
Carpenters Bluff Bridge
Originally built as a railroad bridge for the Missouri, Oklahoma and Gulf (MO&G) Line, this landmark structure across the Red River continues to provide a transportation route between Grayson County, Texas, and Bryan County, Oklahoma.
Architecture
Carr-Taliaferro House
Prosperous farmer-landowner Richard Bell Carr (1855-1918) and wife Susan (1858-1940) moved into town from cedar community. They employed highly-regarded contractor J. R. Barrow to design and build this dignified family residence in 1902. Their daughter Susiebel married John Cecil Taliaferro in the front parlor in 1915.
History
City of Sherman
Settled in 1846. Named in honor of General Sidney Sherman 1805-1873. Commander of the left wing of the Texas Army at the Battle of San Jacinto. Member of Congress of the Republic of Texas 1842-1843. Rapid growth and prosperity followed its incorporation May 12, 1873.
History
City of Tom Bean
Thomas Bean, a wealthy Bonham landowner and surveyor, donated fifty acres of land in southeast Grayson County to be used for a branch railroad line from Sherman to Commerce. Bean died in 1887; in that year the city of Tom Bean was established. Nearby Whitemound, which was bypassed by the railroad, lost its post office to Tom Bean's city in 1888; many Whitemound settlers moved to the new town. Mr.
History
Coffman Cemetery
While David Harman Coffman (1827-1888) served in the Confederate army during the Civil War (1861-1865), his wife Harriet (Jones) and four sons came to North Texas from Missouri. After the war David joined the family and they bought this land. Although the earliest marked grave was dated 1867, the Coffmans deeded the one-acre plot to the county for a public burial ground in 1878.
History
Colbert's Ferry
Established about 1853 by Benjamin F. Colbert. Across it came thousands of immigrants into Texas in the fifties. The stages of the Southern Overland Mail Line, which provided mail and passenger service between St. Louis and San Francisco, crossed there, 1858 to 1861. Abandoned in 1931 when a highway bridge spanned the Red River.
History
Cold Springs Log Cabin School
Pioneers, who were camped near a spring on property of William S. Reeves (1794-1879) while waiting for their land grants, built this one-room schoolhouse about 1855. The leader of the group was William L. Holder (1820-1876), who migrated to Grayson County from Missouri. His son Clinton L. (1845-1897) later used the cabin as a residence.
History
Courthouses of Grayson County
From pioneer log cabins to a native Texas limestone structure, Grayson County courthouses have taken many shapes and sizes since the county's establishment in 1846. The first courthouse, a frame building on bald prairie a few miles west of the current county seat, was completed in 1847 for a cost of $232.
History
Dannel Funeral Home
After training in the mortuary sciences in Chicago, John C. Dannel moved with his new wife, Flossie Louella Wade, to Sherman, Texas, where he purchased the Sherman Undertaking Company. John's father had owned and operated an undertaking parlor in Illinois, where John was born, and he followed his father into the business.
History
Davis-Ansley Log Cabin Home
Blacksmith Micajah C. Davis (1790-1860), one of the founders of Grayson County, erected this cabin about 1840 at Iron Ore Creek settlement near present Denison. The pioneer home was built of hand-hewn oak logs with a plank floor. Sold in 1870 to Josephus R. Ansley (1826-1873) and his wife Gilley (1826-1915), the cabin was later occupied by their son Will (1861-1952). Mr. and Mrs.