History
Absalom H. Chivers Cemetery
This cemetery was established for the family of Absalom H. Chivers, a prosperous farmer and stockman who came here from Mississippi about 1852. With the help of his five slaves, he operated a farm along Dove Creek until his death in 1856. Chivers' grave is thought to be the first in this burial ground, located on his original homestead.
History
Administration Building
Erected by old Polytechnic College, a coeducational school organized 1890 by Bishop J. S. Key, on site given by A. S. and W. D. Hall and George Tandy. This hall, of Texas limestone, was built 1902 in presidential term of Bishop Hiram A. Boaz. Has continued in use while institution was Texas Woman's College, 1914-1934, and since it became Texas Wesleyan College. Modernized in 1963.
History
Ahavath Sholom Hebrew Cemetery
Wishing to have their own cemetery, congregation Ahavath Sholom, the first Jewish congregation in Fort Worth, purchased a six-acre tract from the Greenwood Cemetery Association at this location and dedicated Ahavath Sholom Hebrew Cemetery in 1909. A Ladies Cemetery Society was formed in that year to oversee the upkeep of the graveyard; Rebecca Goldstein served as its initial president.
History
Alexander Dobkins Family Cemetery
Pioneer area settlers Alexander Dobkins (1815-1869) and his wife Mary (1818-1880) migrated to Texas from Tennessee in 1852. Ordained as a minister in the nearby Bear Creek Baptist Church, Alexander also served as postmaster for the local community of Estill's Station during the Civil War. His grave is the earliest marked at this site, originally part of his 200-acre farm.
History
Alfred Madison Hightower
Alfred M. Hightower came to Smithfield from Illinois with his family in 1858 and became a rancher. When the debate over secession arose, Hightower opposed it, but when the Civil War began, he sided with the South. As a mounted rifleman in the Confederate Army, Hightower fought in many battles, including Elkhorn Tavern (Pea Ridge) in Arkansas, one of the biggest battles west of the Mississippi.
Architecture
Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church
This Tudor Gothic Revival sanctuary was constructed between 1912 and 1914, during the pastorate of the Rev. R.S. Jenkins, for the congregation of Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church. Designed by black architect William Sidney Pittman, who was a son-in-law of Booker T. Washington, the church building is representative of those erected by large black congregations in southern urban areas.
History
Amon Carter Riverside High School and Riverside ISD
A community school system known as Trinity Bend existed as early as 1876 in what is now the Riverside neighborhood of Fort Worth. Classes were held in a one-room schoolhouse built by Dr. Eagle, a retired physician. The Pendleton District was created for this area in 1884, and the name Riverside was adopted fifteen years later.
History
Amon G. Carter
Born in Wise County, Texas, on December 11, 1879, Amon Giles Carter left home at an early age and worked at a variety of odd jobs around the country before his arrival in Fort Worth in 1905. Carter became the advertising manager of the "Fort Worth Star", which published its first issue on February 1, 1906.
History
Andrew Hayter
Reverend Andrew Shannon Hayter (1818-1900) was one of the earliest settlers in this area, and is considered by many to be the "Father of Arlington." A native of Tennessee, Hayter left Alabama with his family in late 1850 and arrived in Texas shortly after, settling first in Nacogdoches. Over the next forty-nine years Hayter would establish or serve sixteen Cumberland Presbyterian churches.
History
Archibald Franklin Leonard
A native of Pennsylvania, Archibald Franklin Leonard (1816-1876) moved to Missouri in the 1830s where he married Mary Ann Foster (1822-1904) in 1839. In 1845, along with many of their neighbors, the Leonards migrated to Texas. Leonard was awarded land in the Peters Colony and settled near present-day Grapevine. Much of Grapevine's business and residential areas are sited on land once owned by him.
History
Arlington Cemetery
Encompassing more than ten acres of land, Arlington Cemetery includes within its borders several small historic graveyards, including the original old cemetery of Arlington, the W. W. McNatt Cemetery addition, the Masonic Cemetery, and the Old City Cemetery. William W. McNatt, who brought his family here from Arkansas in 1872, was a retail merchant and large scale farmer in this area.
Architecture
Arlington Heights Lodge No. 1184, A.F. and A.M
Chartered on December 9, 1921, Arlington Heights Lodge No. 1184 is located on land donated by Lodge members W.C. Stonestreet and F.H. Sparrow. This building, designed by Lodge member John C. Davies (1885-1963), was dedicated January 3, 1923.
Industry & Science
Armour and Company
In 1901, local business leaders G. W. Simpson and L. V. Niles began negotiating with Armour & Co. one of the nation' four largest meatpacking firms, to encourage establishment of a branch plant in Fort Worth. The Fort Worth Stock Yards Co. offered land and other incentives and by 1902, construction of a plant just north of this site was underway.
History
Arwine Cemetery
Pioneer Daniel Arwine (1830-1887) migrated to Texas from Indiana in 1865. A deputy U.S. Marshall, Arwine deeded six acres for a school, church and cemetery in 1879. The schoolhouse served for worship services and gatherings. First burial in this cemetery was Arwine's daughter Katy (d. 1879). The grave of Enoch Sexton (d. 1890), an uncle of Arwin, has the oldest stone.
History
Ash Creek Cemetery
The oldest known graves in this community burial ground are those of Dave Morrison (1849-1874) and W. P. Gregg (1833-1874). Dr. James Azle Stewart, for whom Azle is named, and John Giles Reynolds, early grist mill operator, each donated an acre of land to establish the cemetery. Both Stewart and Reynolds are buried here.
Architecture
Atelier Building
Developer Thomas S. Weaver had this structure built about 1905. Named "Atelier", the French word for an artist's studio, it has housed the offices of architects and contractors, a restaurant, and financial institutions, including the banking firm of W.R. Edrington, a noted Fort Worth benefactor. In 1936 the building served as the temporary location of the Carnegie Library.
History
Ayres Cemetery
In 1861 Benjamin Patton Ayres (ca. 1801-62) and his wife, Emily (Cozart) (ca. 1811-63), bought a 320-acre farm and set aside two acres on this hillside as a family cemetery. Ayres, who had served as the second Tarrant County clerk and who helped organize the Fort Worth First Christian Church, was the first buried here.
History
Azle Schools
According to local tradition, pioneer settler J.G. Reynolds started the first area school in the 1850s. Early classes were held in log cabins and in the Ash Creek Baptist Church building. Despite interruptions caused by Indian attacks and the Civil War, the Azle Schools grew through consolidation with such nearby schools as Promised Land, Steele, Slover, Sabathany, Liberty, Briar, Bluff Springs…
History
Baker Funeral Home
After working as a Pullman porter for the Santa Fe Railroad, James Nathan Baker, Sr. decided to open a funeral home in 1917 for Cleburne's African American Community. Licensed as an embalmer in 1922, he operated a funeral home with his mother-in-law, Mattie Gaston Barnes, in their home.
Architecture
Baldridge House
This property was part of the original Chamerlain-Arlington Heights development of the 1890s. Earl and Florence Baldridge built this elegant residence in 1910-13. Designed by the architectural firm of Sanguinet & Staats, it was a showplace of the time. Massive limestone columns line of the line facade. Carved oak woodwork decorates the interior. The home was occupied for many years by W.C.
Transport
Bankhead Highway Through Arlington
THE BANKHEAD HIGHWAY, OFTEN REFERRED TO LOCALLY AS THE 'DALLAS PIKE' EAST OF CENTER STREET AND THE 'FORT WORTH PIKE' WEST OF THAT ROAD, PLAYED AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN ARLINGTON'S FUTURE BY CONNECTING IT TO DALLAS, FORT WORTH, AND THE REST OF THE U.S. THE PIKE, FORMERLY KNOWN AS THE OLD DALLAS-FORT WORTH ROAD, WAS ACTUALLY IN USE AS A WAGON ROAD LONG BEFORE ARLINGTON WAS PLATTED.
Military
Barron Field
One of three World War I fight training centers in the Ft. Worth area, Taliaferro Field No. 2 was built on this site in Nov. 1917. First used by Canadian cadets, it was occupied in April 1918 by American military units. In May, the facility was renamed Barron Field for Cadet Robert J. Barron, who was killed at another flying school.
History
Bear Creek Cemetery
This cemetery was developed adjacent to the site of the Bear Creek Missionary Baptist Church, which was organized in 1853. The earliest marked grave is that of Hiram Jackson Farris (d. 1858), the infant son of G.W. and Mary Farris. Isham Crowley (1798-1878), who came to Texas as a member of Peters Colony, donated the burial ground and deeded it to church trustees in 1876.
History
Bedford Cemetery
Pioneers probably began using this graveyard during the 1860s. Earliest marked grave is that of Elizabeth White Bobo (1866-1871), whose parents came here in 1870 from Bedford County, Tenn. In 1877 Milton Moore deeded a five-acre tract, including this cemetery, to New Hope Church of Christ, now Bedford Church of Christ. The Bedford Church Old Settlers Reunion met here annually for over 50 years. W.
History
Bedford Church of Christ
Founded about 1874 by members of Spring Garden Church of Christ, this congregation was originally called New Hope Church of Christ. The first meetinghouse was built here on Milton Moore's farm near a small cemetery about 1874. The church has worshiped continually at this site since its beginning. Moore deeded this five acres to the congregation in 1877.