History
Chief Justice John Edward Hickman
(1883-1962) A distinguished chief justice of the Texas Supreme Court, and a native of Williamson County. Descendant of 1849 settlers from Alabama, he was a son of Nathaniel Franklin and Mary J. Porterfield Hickman. He attended the Liberty Hill Normal and Commercial College, and (with interruptions to teach school) earned a law degree at the University of Texas in 1910.
History
Christ Lutheran Church
In the mid-1880s, Lutheran families living at the Wendish settlement, Hochkirk, met in homes for church services. Local Pastor Gotthilf Birkmann began to officiate these meetings. Peter Zieschang, founder of Hochkirk, donated three acres of land for the site of a church. In 1891, at the cost of $200, the community dedicated a newly built church.
History
Citizens Memorial Garden Cemetery
Referred to historically as Oak Hill Cemetery, Georgetown Negro Cemetery, Colored Cemetery, Georgetown Citizens Cemetery, and Masonic Cemetery, Citizens Memorial Garden Cemetery is a historic burial ground in Georgetown.
History
City of Taylor
When the International & Great Northern Railroad built across Williamson County in 1876, one of the towns created along its route was "Taylorsville", named for railroad executive Moses Taylor. Lots were sold in June, and the post office opened on August 9, 1876. the earliest settlers included railroad officials such as I.&G.N. president John R.
History
City of Weir
Tenessee-native Thomas Calvin Weir (1826-1901) came to Williamson County in 1856. He bought land in this area and became a prosperous farmer. Alabaman James Francis Towns (1850-1937) came in 1870 and settled nearby on the San Gabriel River. He and his brother, Robert W. Towns (1848-1938), operated a gin and blacksmith shop, as well as Towns' Mill.
History
Community of Jonah
On 1820s land grant to Nashville Colony. Settled 1851 by wagon train from Arkansas, and called Water Valley. In 1884, repeated ill-luck in selecting an acceptable name for post office led to renaming the town Jonah. This was site of famed grist mill, 1865 - 1912. (1970)
History
Community of Theon
Attracted to the rich farm land, immigrants from Austria, Bohemia, Germany, Moravia and Silesia came here in the 1880s-90s. This community grew around a cotton gin built about 1883. A Catholic church and school operated at nearby Corn Hill. A post office, named "Theon" for the Greek "to God", opened in 1890. A rifle club sponsored dances, rifle contests and other socials.
History
Confederate Chaplains Rev. Edward Hudson_Rev. John Hudson
Brothers, teachers, Presbyterian ministers. Came to Texas from Arkansas, 1856. Worked and lived in this county. Both are buried in Round Rock Cemetery. In the Civil War, Rev. Edward Hudson in March 1862 joined Co. G, 6th Regiment, Confederate army. Wounded Oct. 1862 in battle of Corinth, was made chaplain afterwards, to succeed man killed in that same battle. In Aug.
History
Connell Cemetery
Alabama native Sampson Connell, Jr. (b. 1822) came to Texas with his family in 1834. Sampson, his father, and his brother participated at the Battle of San Jacinto in 1836. For his efforts, Sampson received a land grant in Washington County. He moved to Milam COunty where he helped found the San Gabriel Christian Church, later settling in Willaimson County as a farmer and stockman.
History
Corn Hill Community
Settled primarily by settlers from Texas and southern states, Corn Hill was one of the earliest communities in Williamson County. John E. King, county judge from 1858 to 1860, named it for the home he built on a hill and nearby cornfield in 1852. The dispersed agricultural community was the first stop on the stage line running from Georgetown to Fort Gates (Coryell County).
History
Cornhill Cemetery
Established in 1886 on a two-acre site deeded to Cornhill Masonic Lodge No. 567 by Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Bridges. Interred here are community leaders, three Civil War soldiers, and veterans of other wars. Maintained by Cornhill Cemetery Association since 1953. Area now six acres. (1970)
History
Cypress School
Neighbors living in a scattered settlement along Cypress Creek known as Cypress neighborhood joined together to establish a school for their children in the 1860s. A small log schoolhouse was built on a hilltop above the creek. By 1877 the students had outgrown the first school, and a new one-story wood frame building was erected on the same site.
History
Daniel Harrison
Tennessee native Daniel Harrison (1816-1870) migrated to Texas in 1835. He served with Texan forces during the Texas Revolution, and as a volunteer for the Republic's militia. He was in the 1839 Battle of the Neches. In 1840, Harrison married Nancy Robbins and soon moved his family to present-day Williamson County and what would be the Corn Hill community.
Architecture
David H. and Jerusha Dyches McFadin House
Built 1850 by David H. and Jerusha Dyches McFadin. Mr. McFadin, born in Tennessee, came to Texas 1828; fought in Battle of San Jacinto. House has 27" native stone walls. By its cool, perpetual spring, Confederates camped on way to Civil War. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
David Hutcheson McFadin
Served in the Texas War for Independence. Soldier at San Jacinto. Erected by the State of Texas 1962
History
David Love Store
South Carolina native David M. Love (1821-1892) was an early settler of Williamson County. He was engaged in farming and ranching before moving to Georgetown in the 1860s. A prominent local business leader, he had this Victorian commercial structure built for his mercantile business in the mid-1880s.
History
Doak Home
Built in 1860s. Ranch style forerunner. Since 1878 in the family of A. V. Doak, Taylor's first doctor, organizer of mule-drawn streetcar line, civic leader. Son, Dr. Edmond Doak, b. 1878, had spend lifetime in this house. Grandson is Dr. E. K. Doak of Houston. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Doak Pavilion Site
Built 1891 by Dr. A. V. Doak, early settler and civic leader, at end of his street car line, which operated three mule-drawn cars. Used for plays, dances, other amusements. Held crowds of 1,000. In 1900 the pavilion was sold and dismantled.
History
Dr. James Lee Dickey
Physician, humanitarian, civil rights advocate and concerned citizen Dr. James Lee Dickey (d. 1959) had a profound effect on the quality of life in his adopted hometown of Taylor. Born in McLennan County in 1893, he attended Waco public schools and Tillotson College, Austin.
Architecture
Early Commercial Building
Erected to house private bank as well as hardware and lumber business of John A. Nelson and Associates. Bank was closed in 1922; commercial use continues. Architecturally important for facade of case iron and pressed tin. Ornamented pilasters and columns of this type were used in many late 19th-early 20th century structures in central Texas. This front is notable for its continuous preservation.
History
Education in Round Rock
Soon after Williamson County was founded in 1848, pioneer settler Jacob M. Harrell, a blacksmith, built a log schoolhouse for use by his neighbors. Believed to be the first school in the county, it was located at Moss' Spring on Lake Creek (2 mi. SW). Later, another log cabin school was opened north of Brushy Creek by Samuel L. Makemson and Dr. D. F. Knight.
Architecture
Eikel-Prewitt Building
Albert Eikel (b. 1852) had this building constructed in 1893 to house the Eikel Hardware Company. The three-story, brick commercial structure was designed by prominent Williamson County architect Henry Struve. The building was purchased in 1923 by the Ira A. Prewitt Company and remained the home of that business until 1981.
History
Elisha Allen
(December 16, 1813 - March 6, 1893) A native of Louisiana, Elisha Allen moved with his parents in 1827 to what is now Orange County. When the Texas Revolution began, Allen joined the army and fought at the Siege of Bexar, Dec. 5-6, 1835. He explored the Texas frontier with a survey party in 1838. In 1849 he married Margaret Wood; they had 8 children.
History
Emzy Taylor
(1841-1895) Arkansas native Emzy Taylor clerked in his father's mercantile store in Georgetown before serving as a Confederate captain in the Red River campaign of the Civil War. He married Margaret Corinna Henderson in 1864 while on furlough. After the war he returned to Georgetown and took over the family business.
History
Evangelical Free Church
Swedish immigrant settlers in Williamson County met together in homes for worship services as early as 1884. In 1891 this congregation was organized in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Sven Peterson by 21 charter members. Known as Brushy Evangelical Free Church, the congregation built a sanctuary in 1892 on land southeast of Georgetown donated by C.J. Gustafson.