History
A. E. Gossett Home
House of typical southern plan, with separate kitchen in back yard, Built 1835 by A. E. Gossett, owner of large land grant from Mexico. An early 1836 visitor was former Tennessee neighbor, Col. David Crockett, on his way to the Alamo, and camping with his company for a night at the spring nearby.
History
Aaron Lowery
(1814 -- December 6, 1888) Born in Kentucky, lived in Tennessee and Louisiana before entering Texas in 1835; shortly thereafter joined Texian Army, enlisting in Capt. George English's Company at the same time as did Sam Houston. The company saw action in the Battle of Bexar. Married Miss Louisa English, cousin of George English, 1848, in Panola County; Moved to Trinity County about 1851.
History
Albert Holley House
In 1857 Albert Holley (b. 1828), his mother and two brothers, migrated to Houston County from Alabama. While the others journeyed to Texas by boat, he brought the family's supplies overland by wagon with 137 slaves. By 1860 he and his wife Julia (Russell) (1840-97) had begun homesteading this land. After serving in the Civil War, where he was a prisoner of war, Albert continued to farm here.
History
Alfred M. Hallmark
(June 19, 1817 -- April 16, 1880) A veteran of the Texas War for Independence, Alfred M. Hallmark was a native of Madison County, Alabama. He came to Texas in 1834 with his parents and settled in present Houston County. He enlisted in the Texas Army on March 6, 1836, and fought in the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836.
History
Allen Chapel Community
Emancipated slaves of pioneer landowners in nearby communities established homes and farms here in the 1870s. Life centered around the church and school near this site. Land for the African Methodist Episcopal Church was purchased from Nat Allen, one of the original church trustees, for whom the community was named. The one-room schoolhouse was moved to Kennard (3 mi.
History
Andrew Edwards Gossett
(1812-1890) Noted public official and soldier in Republic of Texas. Moved here from Tennessee in 1833 with wife Rhoda (Mulder); received large land grant from Mexico. Helped defend frontier in restless post-revolutionary period by serving in Texas Army. In 1836 he donated land for a townsite, naming it for his long-time family friend Day Crockett -- soon to be a martyr at the Battle of the Alamo.
History
Andrew Jackson McGown
(1816 -- 1870) Tennessee native Andrew Jackson McGown came to Texas in 1835 to fight with the Texas Army in the war for independence from Mexico. A participant in the Battle of San Jacinto, he later helped establish the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Texas, serving as a pioneer circuit rider until his death.
History
Antioch Cemetery
Originally called Neville's Prairie Cemetery, this graveyard was renamed Antioch Cemetery in 1890 when the Village of Neville's Prairie became known as Antioch after a post office was established. The community had disappeared by the 1930s. The earliest documented burial in the cemetery is that of David Houston (1801-1870).
History
Antioch Cemetery
This graveyard has long been associated with the Antioch Primitive Baptist Church, which was organized in 1859. The first marked grave, that of Mary J. Cramer, is dated 1860. Antioch Cemetery also contains unmarked burial sites, many of which are for transient sawmill workers who lived in the area while the 4C Mill was in operation at Ratcliff.
History
Arbor Community
Colonists led by Empressario Joseph Vehlein received Mexican land grants in this area in the late 1820s and 1830s. Growth, however, did not begin in earnest until after the Civil War when immigrants from the war torn states moved here to take advantage of the expanding cattle and cotton industries.
History
Armistead Albert Aldrich
Author - " History of Houston County, Texas" Armistead Albert Aldrich (April 10, 1858 -- Aug. 22, 1945) Born in Crockett, son of Oliver Cromwell and Eliza (Masters) Aldrich. Educated at University of Virginia, he was admitted to the bar in 1883. Elected City Alderman, 1890; County Judge, 1892; State Representative, 1900. Served as Presidential Elector, 1936.
History
Armisted Thompson Mason Monroe
(March 15, 1818 -- September, 1893) A grandnephew of U.S. president James Monroe, A.T.M. Monroe was born in Virginia and came to Texas in 1842. He married Rachel Albright (1828-1866) in 1846 and moved his family to Crockett in 1849. He operated a general store on the courthouse square with W.F. Wall and made annual trips to New York for merchandise.
History
Augusta Cemetery
The final resting place of many Houston County pioneers, this cemetery has been in continuous use since the 1850s. It is located on four acres of land donated by Lucinda C. Sheridan Murchison (1808-1862), widow of early property owner John Sheridan. The earliest documented grave dates to 1854.
History
Augustus "Gus" LeGory
(Oct. 10, 1840 -- Dec. 4, 1930) In 1855 Augustus "Gus" LeGory came to Texas from Mississippi. After serving in the Civil War, he returned to the area and worked with a Trinity River steamboat company. He later developed his own overland and river freight hauling enterprise and in 1870 opened a Crockett saloon. A community promoter, LeGory engaged in banking, coal production, and agriculture.
History
Balis Edens Cemetery
Balis Edens was born in 1805 in South Carolina, the son of John Edens and his wife Lavinia Langford. The family moved to Texas in 1831, and in 1834 John Edens received a league and labor of land in the David G. Burnet colony. Balis Edens had remained in Louisiana, but followed his family to Texas in 1838.
Civic & Local
Beasley Drive
Named for Crockett Mayors: Dr. S.T. Beasley (1840-1916), John Gordon Beasley (1888-1959), and Jack Gordon Beasley (1916-1967). In office 1897 to 1901, Dr. Beasley led in creation of Crockett Independent School District, put gas lights on court square. His son "Big Jack" (Mayor 1936-40, in Texas Centennial era) saw creation of David Crockett Park and Memorial Building as fulfillment of dreams.
Architecture
Beazley House
This site was originally part of a Republic of Texas land grant to Andrew Edwards Gossett, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto. Around the turn of the century it became part of a real estate development which opened a new Crockett residential area. Charles Harrison Beazley (1850-1929) purchased this property in 1912 and erected this cottage with elaborate victorian trim.
History
Beeson-Box Cemetery
Harston Wilson Beeson, one of Houston County's first settlers (1840), bought land in this area from his neighbor, John Box, in 1852. The Cemetery was established on Beeson land about 3/4 of a mile east of this site with the burial of Box's son, William R. (b. 1827) in 1852. The 2-acre graveyard was officially set aside in wills executed by Beeson in 1878 and his son, George W., in 1915.
Architecture
C. R. Rich Building
Charles Rufus Rich (1857-1945) completed this building in 1906 as a combination ground floor general mercantile and second floor residence. A native of Texas, Rich had opened his business in Lovelady in the early 1900s. The commercial structure exhibits Italianate detailing and features paired corinthian colonettes beside the upper story windows.
Architecture
Cannon-Stanton House
Built around 1885 for William and Anna Cannon, this farmhouse was purchased in 1907 by Joe Brown Stanton (1861-1940). A native of Houston County, Stanton was active in civic, fraternal, and religious organizations. The area surrounding the house originally contained additional structures, including a large barn, smokehouse, well, and cistern.
History
Cedar Branch Community and Church
Cedar Branch began in the 1860s as a settlement of freedmen. John Smith (1809-1890) and Anna Jane Pouncy Smith (1811-1874) deeded a parcel of their cotton plantation to each of their former slaves. The freedmen organized a church in 1862 and built a sanctuary in 1864. Levi Leonard chose the name Cedar Branch for the community. He and Alonzo Campbell selected a cemetery site.
History
Cedar Branch Community School
Cedar Branch Community School The first written record of a school for the children of Cedar Branch appears in the Houston County Judge's Report of 1888. When the members of Cedar Branch Church constructed a new sanctuary in 1895, they donated the previous church building for use as a schoolhouse. By 1911, Cedar Branch had been designated as Common School District No.
History
Center Hill
Early settlers in this part of Houston County established homes in the nearby communities of Corinth, Old Zion, and Randolph. Community life centered around farming and church activities. Settlers met together for worship at the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in Corinth.
History
Center Hill Cemetery
The Ellis family came from Mississippi to Texas in 1839. Charles McHenry Ellis and Elizabeth (Lovelady) Ellis had 15 children. After her death in 1865, he wed Aramenta Hartfield, with whom he had 7 children. His oldest son, Byanthy Woodville Ellis, deeded land including the family cemetery in 1876 for use as a church and burial ground.
History
City of Grapeland
In area settled about 1850. Founded 1872 by International & Great Northern Railway investors. Named for rank wild grapevines. Post office opened May 26, 1873. Log schoolhouse, used also for church services, was first public building. Disciples of Christ and Methodists erected first church buildings. Business section was rebuilt of brick after 1913 fire. Town was incorporated 1924.