History
Moses Austin
The initiator of Anglo-American settlement in Texas, Moses Austin was a native of Durham, Connecticut. After his marriage to Mary Brown in 1785, Austin became a leading figure in the development of the American lead industry. His buiness took him to Virginia and then west to the Mississippi Valley. A colonizer and pioneer as well, Austin helped establish several frontier communities.
Nature
Mount Bonnell
Rising 775 feet above sea level, this limestone height was named for George W. Bonnell, who came to Texas with others to fight for Texas independence, 1836. Was commissioner of Indian Affairs in Republic of Texas under president Sam Houston. Moved in 1839 to Austin; there published the "Texas Sentinel", 1840. Member Texan-Santa Fe expedition, 1841.
Architecture
Neill-Cochran House
Greek Revival architecture, typical of the South. Erected about 1853 for Washington L. Hill by master builder Abner Cook. The hand-cut limestone walls were cemented with a mortar containing pig bristles. First Institute for the Blind in State of Texas, 1856. Hospital for Civil War soldiers, 1865. Home in 1880 of Republic of Texas patriot, Col. Andrew Neill; 1893-1913, Judge Thos. B.
Architecture
Norwood Tower
This building was once the tallest structure in Austin's downtown area other than the State Capitol. Dwarfed by other structures by the late 20th century, the Norwood Tower remains unique in its design and elaborate detailing. In 1925, Ollie O. Norwood (1887-1961) bought this site and hired the firm of Giesecke and Harris to design an office building. Bertram E.
Architecture
O. Henry Hall
Built during the period 1877-1881 as a federal courthouse and post office, this was the sixth United States post office location in Austin, dating from the establishment of the first post office in 1840. The building was constructed by Abner Cook, famed early Texas builder, at a cost of $200,000. James G. Hill of the U. S. Treasury Department was the supervising architect.
History
Oak Hill (Shiloh)
First settlers arrived in area in 1840s. The community founded here in 1856 was called Live Oak Springs; in 1865 it was renamed Shiloh. Later schools known as Live Oak and Oatmanville Gave names temporarily to the settlement. It has been known as Oak Hill since 1900. Limestone quarries were opened, 1882, to supply stone for capitol building in Austin.
History
Oakwood Cemetery
In 1839, when Austin was being opened as a site favored for the capital of the Republic of Texas, a regular burial place was established in what is now the southwest part of Oakwood Cemetery. A decedent was buried on this hill at a spot to the right of Oakwood's present main entrance and northwest of the Hebrew ground within the enclosure. It was not until Sept.
History
Oertli Dairy Farms
The Oertli family owned and operated dairy farms in Travis county for 78 years, from 1923-2001. Fridolin 'Fritz' Oertli was born in Ennenda, Switzerland and immigrated to Travis County in 1904 with his wife, Margaretha Schwendeler, and their first child. Fritz purchased his own farm at Lytton Springs near Lockhart and Buda where he was involved in the cattle business.
History
Old Bakery
Old Bakery, built 1876 by Chas. Lundberg. Bread then was not sliced or wrapped; children and maids waited with baskets to take home loaves hot from the oven. House specialties were sponge cake ladyfingers, glazed kisses, almond-meal macaroons. A front balcony (since razed) permitted a later baker, Henry Maerki, to photograph parades, including one in 1901 for U.S. President William McKinley.
History
Old Quarry Site
Limestone quarried at this site was hauled to Congress Avenue by oxen and used in constructing the 1853 Texas Capitol Building. The structure burned in 1881, but stone from the capitol ruins was later used in several Austin building projects. The quarry site was originally part of the land granted to Tennessee native George Washington Davis (1806-84) for his service in the Texas Revolution.
Architecture
Old Rock Store
Influenced by the style of early German rock buildings in central Texas, James Andrew Patton (1853-1944) supervised the construction of this building in 1898. A German mason laid the stone. Patton fought Comanches as a Texas Ranger and was a civic leader and local postmaster. He was known affectionately as "the mayor of Oak Hill.
Architecture
Ollie O. Norwood Estate
The 1922 Norwood Estate was known as "Norcliff" when the property was maintained by Ollie and Calie Norwood. A native of Macune, Texas, Norwood moved with his wife to Austin after serving in France during WWI.
Film History
Paramount Theater
Originally called the 'Majestic,' this theatre was erected in 1915 by businessman Ernest Nalle (1876-1950). Designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Eberson, Fugard, and Knapp, it was constructed under the direction of local architect George Endress. During the 1930s, the theatre was renamed the 'Paramount' and was lavishly remodeled.
Nature
Pease Park
Named for family of 1853-57 Texas governor, Elisha Marshall Pease (1812-83), within whose early-day plantation this area was situated. Gov. and Mrs. Pease on May 20, 1875, gave 23-acre site here on Shoal Creek to City of Austin for use as a public park. It was already a landmark, known as post-Civil War camping ground of Gen. George A. Custer (1839-76) and 200 federal soldiers.
History
Pease School
This is one of the oldest school buildings in Texas erected from public funds; on university block set aside for school purposes by Republic of Texas in 1839. This school was opened in 1876; it was named for Gov. Elisha M. Pease (1812-1883), a leader in legislation that laid groundwork for support of public education in Texas.
History
Penn and Nellie Wooldridge House
In 1913, Nellie Wylie Holden (1863-1944) built a home here. Tradition holds that her children helped noted architect Hugo F. Kuehne design the Georgian Revival house. Holden, an Austin philantropist, worked in many civic and charitable organizations. In 1917, she wed prominent Austin Mayor Alexander Penn Wooldridge (1847-1930).
History
Peter Henry Oberwetter
(January 8, 1830 - May 21, 1915) A native of Germany, Peter Henry Oberwetter migrated to Texas about 1849 and settled first in New Braunfels, then Comfort. He later moved to Austin, where he gained distinction as a botanist. He pioneered in crossbreeding the amaryllis, imported rare bulbs, and wrote articles regarding his botanical research. He was also a landscape artist for the State of Texas.
History
Pfluger Cemetery
Henry Pfluger, born in Germany in 1803, brought his large family to Texas in 1850. When he died in 1867, he was buried on this tract of land near his home. In 1880 his wife, Christina (1820-97), who is also buried here, set aside the one-acre site as a family cemetery. Their eldest son, Henry (1837-1904), and his descendants have maintained the cemetery, which holds 18 graves.
History
Pflugerville
Henry Pfluger (1803-67), who migrated from Germany to Texas in 1849-50, moved his large family here in 1853. Other settlers joined them, and in 1872 a school was begun on Henry Lisso's farm. Immanuel Lutheran Church was founded in 1874. Primarily a farming settlement, Pflugerville had no commercial business until 1890, when Louis Bohls built a general store.
History
Pflugerville Schools
German immigrants arrived in Northeast Travis County in 1849. Education was highly valued, starting with lessons in the home. In 1872, a one-room school opened on the Henry Lisso farm. The school later moved to the Carrington Ranch. This and surrounding rural schools often had one teacher for all grades, with instruction in English and German.
History
Philip Walker
A soldier in the Army of Texas. Arrived at San Jacinto April 22, 1836. Born in South Carolina, March 11, 1815. Died in Johnson County, Texas, July 11, 1897. His wife Elizabeth (Cooper) Walker. Born in Tennessee, October 21, 1827. Died in Johnson County, Texas, July 22, 1868. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Architecture
Philquist-Wood House
Sweden native Sven Axel Philquist, local district clerk and later clerk of the Texas Supreme Court, hired Swedish builder F. Oscar Blomquist to build this family home in 1912. Following several subsequent owners, grocer Sam Wood purchased the house in 1943; it remained in the Wood family for more than 50 years.
History
Price Daniel
Texas statesman Price Daniel (1910-1988) was born in Dayton, Texas, the son of M.P. and Nannie Partlow Daniel. His career in state and national politics spanned six decades and included service in all three branches of state government.
Architecture
Randerson-Lundell Building
Cornelius Randerson erected a one-story structure here in 1896 to house a grocery, feed, and wagon yard. John and Claud Lundell purchased the building in 1898 and in 1910 a second floor was added to board customers overnight. It remained in the Lundell family until 1926. A good example of a native limestone and brick commercial building, it features simple Classical detailing.
History
Rebecca Kilgore Stuart Red
(1827-1886) Rebecca Jane Kilgore Stuart became principal of Live Oak Female Seminary in Washington County, Texas, in 1853. In 1854 she married Dr. George Clark Red and continued teaching. The Reds moved to Austin in 1876, and opened Stuart Female Seminary at 1212 East 9th Street. Rebecca continued teaching until nine days before her death in 1886. She was buried in Oakwood Cemetery.