Architecture
Reuter House
Built in 1934 for Louis Reuter (1886-1945) and his wife, this house offered a spectacular view of the city. Reuter worked as a grocer in his native San Antonio until 1918, when he came to Austin to open a self-service grocery store, an innovation for its time.
History
Richland School
The Richland School was created as a means to educate the children of the Richland community in northern Travis County. During the 1860s, many Germans settled the area and began farming. An early immigrant, Franz Schmidt, took an interest in providing community-wide education. He offered up his home, known as 'Brushy Knob,' as a place for children to learn.
History
Robert Eanes
(1805-1895) South Carolina native Robert Eanes and his family came to Travis County from Mississippi in 1872. They joined his brother, Alexander Eanes, who had arrived in 1845. Robert Eanes purchased a ranch from his brother in 1873, on which he built the first area school. The area and school both assumed the Eanes name.
History
Robert Rankin
(FRONT)Born in Virginia, 1753 - Died In Cold Springs, San Jacinto County, Texas, 1837 Erected by the State of Texas 1936 (BACK) Robert Rankin was an officer in the Continental Army, Virginia Troops, 1776, in the same company with his near kinsman, John Marshall, who later became Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States - He participated in the Battle of Brandywine, Germantown and…
History
Robert S. Stanley House
Travis County native Robert S. Stanley (1863-1941), an African-American stonemason and laborer, built this home for his wife Francis and their children in 1895. He later built a stone building on West Mary Street (1927) which his second wife Jennie operated as a general store.
History
Roberts-Teague Cemetery
In the 1860s, the Roberts and Teague families came to the Bee Cave area where, for generations, their skills as farmers, ranchers, cedar choppers, coal kiln burners, and homemakers helped to shape its development and culture. It is said that this cemetery was established in 1898 when Joseph Roberts (1843-1925) offered the site to the grieving Simons family for an infant's burial.
Architecture
Robinson-Macken House
Built in 1876 for the family of Elizabeth and John Robinson, Sr., this two-and-half-story farm house is fine example of the Second Empire style of architecture coupled with Italianate detailing. Located within the original 1839 Austin town plan draw by Edwin Waller, it is in close proximity to the house built by the locally prominent Bremond family (three blocks east).
History
Rosewood Park
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, African American enclaves were spread throughout Austin, but the 1928 Austin City Plan codified segregation of communities of color to the east side of the city by restricting utilities and services elsewhere. As a result, the city established Rosewood Park as a recreational facility for African Americans.
Architecture
Saint David's Episcopal Church
Located in pioneer Austin at the edge of town, on a site never used for a secular building. At 1st called Church of the Epiphany, cornerstone laid on April 7, 1853, with impressive ceremonies. The Capital city's first stone church. Built of native limestone, its architecture blended Spanish mission with traditional Gothic elements.
Architecture
Saint Edward's University Main Building
Erected in 1888, rebuilt after fire in 1903. Nicholas J. Clayton, Master Architect, designed both buildings in Gothic Revival style. Serves institution founded in 1873 by Congregation of Holy Cross, as male Catholic school. First pupils were local farm boys. In 1921 college-level courses were added. Was rechartered in 1925 as a University.
Architecture
Sampson Building
Completed in 1860 by master builder Abner Cook, this structure first housed the general merchandise store of George W. Sampson (1825-1883) and Abram Henricks. After Henrick's death in 1865, Sampson maintained an office here, and leased the remainder of the building for other commercial and professional enterprises.
Architecture
Scarbrough Building
Scarbrough Building Alabama native Emerson Monroe Scarbrough (1846-1925) came to Texas following service in the Civil War and settled in Milam County, where he was a successful merchant. He opened a branch of his business, Scarbrough and Hicks, on Congress Avenue in 1893, moving one block north in 1894. In 1910, on this adjacent, prominent corner, he completed Austin's first skyscraper.
History
Schneider Flour House & Vault
Jean Schneider built a structure at the northwest corner of Guadalupe and Live Oak (later 2nd) streets circa 1860, with the intention of establishing a brewery. His death in 1862 prevented the opening of the business. Jean's son, Jacob Peter, and his widow, Margarita, opened a store circa 1870 at the same location, and a stone 'vault' built by Jean as part of the foundation was used for storage.
Civic & Local
Scholz Garten
German immigrant August Scholz (1825-1891) opened Scholz's Hall at this site in 1866. About the turn of the century, this building replaced the original hall. A German social club, the Austin Saengerrunde, purchased the property in 1908 and added the adjacent hall.
Architecture
Scottish Rite Temple
Built 1871-72 as an opera house by Austin Turn Verein, a German social society. Used for gymnastics, feasting and dancing, it was a social center for years. Purchased in 1912 for Ben Hur Shrine Temple and remodeled, blending Southwest and Mission style architecture with Arabic accents. Transferred in 1914 to Scottish Rite bodies of Austin who allow other Masonic groups to meet here.
Industry & Science
Seaholm Power Plant
This complex is an industrial and architectural landmark in Austin. Electric power arrived in the Texas capital in 1895, after the Colorado River was first dammed to generate electricity. The city of Austin has owned its own generation and distribution system ever since, a rarity among large cities.
History
Site of Edward Mandell House Home
Edward Mandell House (1858-1938), heir of a wealthy Houston businessman, moved to Austin in 1885 to be at the center of State Politics, his primary interest. He managed the successful campaigns of four Texas Governors and became an important figure in Democratic party circles on the State and National levels.
History
Site of Fort Colorado
(Also called Coleman's Fort) June, 1836 - November, 1838. Established and first commanded by Colonel Robert M. Coleman. Succeeded by Capt. Michael Andrews and Capt. William M. Eastland. An extreme frontier outpost occupied by Texas Rangers to protect Anglo-American civilization from savage Indians in this vicinity. Erected by the State of Texas 1936.
History
Site of Haynie-Cook House
In 1852, noted Austin architect Abner Cook (1814-1884) built a home here for Dr Samuel Garner Haynie (1806-1877), who was elected Mayor of Austin four times (1850, 1851, 1863, and 1864). Cook, who was also working on the 1852-1854 Texas State Capitol around the same time, built the house with a Federal design, containing Greek Revival elements, The front façade featured a two-story portico with a…
History
Site of John Bremond & Company
New York native John Bremond (1813-1866) built a dry goods store at this site as early as 1847. Soon, his dry goods department faced Pecan (Sixth) Street, and the grocery department faced Brazos Street. Active civically, he served as a member of the group that encouraged the eventual construction of the Houston & Texas Central Railway, which was associated with Bremond's brother Paul.
History
Site of Old Anderson High School, Kealing Junior High School
Robertson Hill School, the first high school for blacks in Austin, opened on the corner of Eleventh and San Marcos streets in 1884. In 1907 the school moved to the corner of Olive and Curve Streets and was renamed E. H. Anderson High School. In 1913 the school was moved to 1607 Pennsylvania Avenue. It was renamed in honor of former Principal L. C. Anderson in 1938.
History
Site of Pecan Springs School
In community where scalping and dramatic rescue of Josiah Wilbarger occurred in 1833. By 1875 area had developed so much that a schoolhouse was built at this site. Original 30 x 40-foot structure was set on 4.68 acres of land. A Mr. Goodnight was the first teacher; he had 85 pupils in one-room school. Later, under county system, this became District Number 61.
History
Site of Samuel Huston College
Samuel Huston College traces its history to 1876 when the Rev. George O. Richardson founded a college in Dallas for the education of African American youth. St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church was leased for the private school, named Andrews Normal School. The school moved to Austin in 1878 and held classes in the Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church.
History
Site of Second Travis County Courthouse and Walton Building
Built 1875 in term of County Judge James W. Smith. Former state officials on committees for site and building include Governor E.M. Pease, Secretary of State C.S. West, Attorney General N.G. Shelley, Treasurer James H. Raymond and legislator George Hancock.
History
Site of Swedish Evangelical Free Church
Worship services started in 1889 by Swedish immigrants led to founding of Swedish Evangelical Free Church in Decker community (10 mi. E) in July 1892. A similar Swedish congregation originated in April 1904 at Elroy (20 mi. SE). In 1923 the two congregations merged, relocated in Austin, and in 1925 built a church on this site. Swedish was spoken in services until the 1930s.