History
Lilia and Josephine Casis
Josephine (1873-1947) and Lilia (1869-1947) Casis were reared in Jamaica, where their European parents educated them in the classics, languages, and music, before they moved to Texas in 1890. Josephine earned a teaching degree and taught at Austin's Palm School for 33 years.
History
Littig Cemetery
The town of Littig was laid out in 1883 along the route of the Houston & Texas Central Railway on land donated by former slave Jackson Morrow, and was named for A.B. Littig, who surveyed the townsite. In 1891, Thomas B. and Mary E. Fowler sold two acres to trustees George Morrow, Alex Alexander and Andrew J. Campbell for the establishment of a cemetery at this location.
Architecture
Littlefield Building
Littlefield Building George Washington Littlefield (1842-1920) came to Texas from Mississippi in 1850. After serving in Terry's Texas Rangers in the Civil War, he made his fortune ranching and driving cattle. He moved to Austin in 1883 and, in 1890, established the American National Bank, which included a ladies' banking department. He hired architect C. H. Page, Jr.
History
Littlefield Home
George W. Littlefield (1842 ' 1920) came to Texas with his family in 1850. He served in the Civil War with Terry's Texas Rangers, attaining the rank of Major. Following the war, he became a cattleman and acquired ranches in New Mexico and the Texas Panhandle. He came to Austin in 1883 and engaged in banking.
History
Live Oak Cemetery
The original four-acre section of this cemetry included land donated by James M. Turley (1816-83) and Andrew Jackson Hammett (1829-1907). The oldest grave is that of Turley's daughter, Tennessee Belle Hart, and her baby, who died on Aug. 27, 1874. A community church, erected near the burial ground in 1874, also housed a school from 1877 to about 1886.
History
Lockwood Cemetery
This cemetery was set aside out of land settled by Gordon C. Jennings (1782-1836), his wife, Catherine (1790-1867), and four children who came from Missouri in 1833 as part of Stephen F. Austin's "Little Colony." Gordon was the oldest defender to die at the Alamo.
History
Lohmans Crossing
A native of Hanover, Germany, John Henry Lohmans emigrated to Texas in 1842. He settled in Austin where he opened a large dairy farm. In 1867 he moved into this area west of Austin and cleared a farm out of the abundant timberland. Lohmans worked on several road construction projects in the area and privately financed the building of Lohmans Ford Road. Lohmans Crossing Road (.5 mi.
History
Luther Hall
In 1934, Gethsemane Lutheran Church pastor J.E. Chester called for a new Sunday School and Luther League facility. Dedicated on July 28, 1940, the design of contractor and church member Anton Edburg has a stepped parapet and rooflines, polychromatic brick, polished Cordova limestone and a cast stone Luther Rose.
History
Major William Martin "Buck" Walton
(January 17, 1832 - July 1, 1915) Mississippi native William M. "Buck" Walton attended the University of Virginia and studied law in Carrollton, Mississippi. In 1853 he moved to Austin, where his first law partner was A. J. Hamilton, later governor of Texas. In 1862 he enlisted in the Confederate Army, serving in Co. B, 21st Texas Cavalry. He was elected Texas attorney general in 1866.
History
Malcolm and Margaret Badger Reed Estate
Central Texas native Malcolm Reed followed his father into business and ultimately became a leading cotton exporter. He wed Margaret "Maggie" Badger of Marble Falls in 1898, and in 1908, they moved to Austin. In 1929, they moved into their new home at this site.
History
Manor Cemetery
Tennessee native James Manor, who came to Texas in the early 1830s, helped settle this area. A town named for him developled here during the 1840s. A Methodist congregation was organized in 1854 and in 1861 a Union church building was erected at this site. According to local tradition E.D. Townes, father of noted university of Texas Law School Dean and Judge John C.
History
Mary Street Stone House
This residence is one of several erected in south Austin during the 1890's by Developer Nichols Dawson (1864-1939). Constructed of stone quarried in the vicinity, the small houses were similar in design, with Hexagonal front bays. Dawson's partner in the real estate venture was his sister Mary (molly) (1853-1933), A prominent local educator.
Architecture
Mathews School
In 1916, the Austin school district built three elementary schools, including two identical ones: Metz on the east side of town and Mathews on the west. Architect Dennis R. Walsh designed both schools, but only Mathews remains in use. Named for Dr. William J.
History
Maud Anna Berry Smith Fuller
(October 7, 1868 - January 26, 1972) One of Austin's most revered African American civic and religious leaders, Maud Anna Berry Smith Fuller is best remembered for her generosity, inspirational speeches, Baptist missionary activity, teaching abilities, and compassion for those less fortunate than herself.
History
Mauthe-Myrick Mansion
Rafael Mauthe (1802-79), A German stonemason built this house in 1877 on land purchased from the noted architect Abner Cook in 1856. Mauthe's wife Mary (d.1898) lived here after his death and managed the nearby family rental property. In 1898 the home was sold to Anne Katherine Brown Myrick (d.1947), the Daughter of Texas Supreme Court Justice T.J. Brown, who also lived here.
History
Maxey Cemetery
Between 1855-1859, James Edward Maxey (1831-1908) moved from Arkansas to Bosque Co., Texas, with his mother, two sons and a daughter. During the Civil War James was a private in the frontier militia. By 1870, he moved his family to western Travis Co. near where the Pedernales River joins the Colorado. James' three-year-old grandson, Alfred Maxey, died from a poisonous snake bite in 1873.
History
McClendon-Price House
In 1906, local architect Charles H. Page designed this house for Judge James Wooten McClendon and his wife, Annie (Watt), whose father donated the site as their wedding gift. McClendon was an attorney and judge, serving as Chief Justice of the Court of Civil Appeals for 26 years. Judges Thomas B. Greenwood and Charles G. Krueger were tenants here before the McClendons sold the home in 1944.
History
Merrilltown Cemetery
THIS BURIAL GROUND HAS SERVED THE SURROUNDING AREA SINCE THE EARLY 1850s. MOST OF THOSE INTERRED HERE LIVED IN THE MERRILLTOWN COMMUNITY, WHICH CAPTAIN NELSON MERRELL (d. 1879) ESTABLISHED WHEN HE SETTLED HERE IN 1837. HE OPERATED THE POST OFFICE AND A STORE IN THE COMMUNITY.
History
Methodist Episcopal Church of Mount Salem Cemetery
Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Mount Salem purchased three acres here in 1882 for a sanctuary and a cemetery. The building served as the central point for religious, educational and social activities for the Walnut Creek community until it was lost to a fire in the mid-1930s.
Industry & Science
Michael Butler and Butler Brick Company
Michael Butler (1842-1909) emigrated from Limerick, Ireland, to New York City in 1866 and worked as a bricklayer. After traveling the country pursuing the masonry trade, Butler arrived in Dallas in 1869 and established a brick plant on the Trinity River. From 1869 to 1873, Butler's plant produced handmade bricks using the sun-dried brick method.
History
Millbrook (Roy-Hardin House)
Millbrook (Roy-Hardin House) William Carroll "Cal" Roy (1851-1916) and Annie (Stanley) Roy (1851-1925) bought this Bouldin mill site in 1894 from Powhatan Bouldin, heir of James E. Bouldin (1796-1876), the original owner. It was converted into a home, and here the Roys reared children Robert E. "Rob," Addie M., Jessie, Adele and Inca.
History
Millett Opera House
Lumber dealer Charles F. Millett's 1878 Opera House became a cultural center for Austin, The theater had 800 moveable seats, plus boxes. Operas and dramatic performances featured such noted actors as Edwin Booth, Joseph Jefferson, Sir Henry Irving, and Otis Skinner. On March 10, 1899, Democratic Presidential nominee William Jennings Bryan gave a speech here.
History
Moore-Flack House
Local contractor Charles Funk built this house for John M. and Estelle Moore in 1887 at a cost of $2,000. At that time John M. Moore (1853-1902), a former Texas legislator and district attorney, was secretary of state for Governor Lawrence Sullivan (Sul) Ross. Laura A. E.
History
Moore-Hancock Farmstead
Irish native Martin Moore and his wife, Elizabeth Ann (White), left their Austin residences and prosperous Pecan (6th) Street mercantile business and moved to a farm north of town about 1850. Their 521-acre farm, which included this property, was inherited by Elizabeth in 1846.
History
Moore's Crossing Bridge
This structure was originally part of a six-span bridge across the Colorado River at Congress Avenue in Austin. Constructed there in 1884, it was designed by the King Iron Bridge and Manufacturing Co. of Cleveland, Ohio. In 1910 it was dismantled and placed in storage. Five years later three spans were rebuilt here but destroyed the same year in a flood.