Architecture
J.W. & Cornelia Rice Scarbrough House
This Italian Renaissance revival-style home was designed in 1920 by architect Edwin C. Kreisle for the family of prominent Austin merchant John William Scarbrough. Scarbrough and his wife, Cornelia (Rice), resided in the home until their deaths in 1960 and 1974. The two-story stucco house features a slate-shingle roof, a deep overhanging cornice and an arched pediment over the front entry.
History
Jacob Fontaine
(c. 1808 - 1898) Jacob Fontaine was born in Arkansas and came to Austin about 1850 as a slave of Episcopal minister Edward Fontaine. In 1864 Jacob began preaching separate service for fellow slaves attending the First Baptist Church, then founded the First Baptist Church, Colored. About 1867, Jacob also established five other churches in this area and a county association of black Baptists.
Architecture
Jacob Larmour House
This Victorian cottage was built in 1875for architect Jacob Larmour (1822-1901), who came to Austin with his family in 1871. He played a major role in the design of many of the city's commercial and residential buildings and was appointed State Architect in 1879. Pharmacist Oscar G. Eckhardt bought the home in 1910, and it remained in his family for more than 50 years.
History
Jacob Leser House
After purchasing this land in 1859, German-born Jacob Leser (1827-1901) erected a log cabin and a frame structure to house his soap and candle factory. Before 1864, when he married Henrietta Schroeder (1841-89), Leser added this stone wing to the cabin. He built the porch and the brick-and-frame Victorian rooms in the 1880s. Cabin was later removed.
Architecture
James and Leanna Walsh House
Located in Tarrytown, this Mission Revival style house features limestone quarried from a nearby source and red, Spanish-style clay roof tiles. Built for James Martin Walsh (1882-1944), third son of local lime manufacturer and Irish immigrant William J.
History
James L. Farmer, Jr.
James L. Farmer, Jr.(Jan. 12, 1920-Jul. 9, 1999)Civil rights leader James Leonard Farmer, Jr., son of Pearl (Houston) and Dr. James L. Farmer, Sr., lived here as a child from 1925-30. James, Sr. taught at Samuel Huston College (now Huston-Tillotson University). In 1942, James, Jr.
History
Jane Yelvington McCallum
(December 30, 1877 - August 15, 1957) One of the most prominent leaders of the Texas woman suffrage movement of the early 20th century, Jane Y. McCallum lived in this house with her husband, Arthur N., and five children. As a member of the Texas Joint Legislative Council (nicknamed The Petticoat Lobby), she worked for political and social reform through the Texas Legislature.
History
John A. Wharton
Came to Texas from Tennessee. Prominent orator, jurist, and prosecutor. Delegate Texas Secession Convention 1861. Joined Confederate Army as Captain Company "B" Terry's Texas Rangers. After Terry was killed Wharton elected Colonel and led this famous regiment Battle Shiloh and Kentucky Campaign 1862. Twice wounded and made Brigadier General for bravery in action.
History
John Crittenden Duval
John Crittenden Duval, escaped the massacre March 27, 1836 and was the last survivor of Fannin's army to die. Born in Kentucky in 1816. Died in Fort Worth, Texas, January 15, 1897
History
John Elbridge Hines
(October 3, 1910 ' July 19, 1997) John E. Hines was born in Seneca, South Carolina. He attended the University of the South (Sewanee, Tennessee) in Virginia Theological Seminary, where he observed social troubles caused by the Great Depression in 1933. Hines became an assistant director in St. Louis, Missouri; there he continued to develop his ministry, which aimed to address social ills.
History
John M. King Log House
This small one and one-half story log house on Cypress Creek in northwest Travis County could have been built as early as 1859. John M. King bought the property from John Robey in 1879 and indicated there was a dwelling on it at that time. King (1816-1918), a farmer from Alabama, and his family occupied the home until 1917. The log house later was purchased by legislative lobbyist Jack Dies (d.
Military
John W. McHorse
Born in Alabama 1819 Died January 9, 1897 Participated in the Battle of San Jacinto as a member of Hayden Arnold's company Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Architecture
Joseph and Mary Robinson Martin House
Joseph and Mary Robinson Martin House Prominent Austin contractor George Fiegel completed this house in 1903 for Joseph Anthony (1867-1947) and Mary (Robinson) (d. 1934) Martin. A noted wild game conservationist, Joe Martin primarily is associated in Austin business history with the Austin White Lime Company.
History
Joseph Baker
Born in Maine 1804. Died in Austin, Texas, July 11, 1846. One of the founders of "The Telegraph and Texas Register" at San Felipe de Austin, October 10, 1835. A soldier at San Jacinto. First chief justice of Bexar County, 1836. Member of the Congress of the Republic, 1837. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Joseph J. Manor Cemetery
Joseph J. Manor (1818-1884) came to Texas from Tennessee at age twenty, settling finally in Webberville, where he acquired land and opened a store and cotton gin. He married Caroline Scott (1930-1851) in 1847; both are laid to rest here, as are other early area pioneers.
History
Judge Edwin Waller
--- front side --- Born in Virginia, November 4, 1800 * Died in Waller County, Texas, January 3, 1881 His Wife Juliet M. De Shields Waller Born in 1801 * Died May 13, 1867 Erected by the State of Texas 1936 --- back side --- Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence * Laid out the City of Austin and was its first Mayor * * Waller County was named in his honor
Architecture
Kappa Kappa Gamma House
The Beta Xi chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity was chartered at the University of Texas in 1902. The Beta Xi house association was formed in 1936, and construction of this three-story Georgian Revival sorority house began in 1938. Designed by noted Houston architect Birdsall P.
History
Kimbro
Named for pioneer landowner Lemuel Kimbro, this community was settled in the late 1870s by Swedish, Danish, and German immigrants. Most of the residents were cotton farmers, and at its height the community boasted homes, farms, the Swedish Evangelical Free Church of Kimbro, a school, a cotton gin, and two general stores.
History
Kincheonville
Thomas Kincheon, a former slave from Mississippi, established the rural community of Kincheonville in this area shortly after emancipation in 1865. Many independent communities were created in Texas by African Americans following the Civil War, usually on undesirable or unprofitable land.
History
King-Tears Mortuary
King-Tears Mortuary In October 1901, William M. Tears opened the Tears Funeral Home at 614 E. 6th Street to provide mortuary services for African Americans in Austin and the surrounding area. Upon his death in 1923, his son William M. Tears, Jr. became manager of the firm. In 1933, Mr. and Mrs. Charles B. King opened King and Company (later King Funeral Home) at 1107 E. 6th Street.
History
King-Von Rosenberg House
In 1916, the heirs of Gov. Elisha Pease established the Enfield Realty and Home Building Company and began dividing the Pease estate into what would become Austin's Enfield neighborhood. Six years later, Belmont "Belle" Graham, a cousin to the Pease heirs, and her husband, Florian Bibb King, built their home at this site.
History
Kopperl House
Built in 1896 at a cost of $4,200, this home was purchased the same year by sportswoman Loula Dale Kopperl (1861-1919). She and her husband Morris lived here prior to their divorce in 1912, and she continued to occupy the home until her death. The late Victorian-era cottage retains its Eastlake style ornamentation in the fine milled-wood detailing and pyramidal roof with crowned deck.
History
L. C. Anderson High School
To accommodate an increasing African American population, the Austin Public School system (later the AISD) built E.H. Anderson High School in 1909, renaming it L.C. Anderson High School in 1938. The same year, the Austin City Plan restricted construction of future African American schools to the segregated neighborhood east of East Avenue.
History
Laguna Gloria
This Mediterranean style villa was built in 1916 for Henry H. and Clara Driscoll Sevier. Named Laguna Gloria for a nearby lagoon off the Colorado River, the stuccoed home features a decorative window at San Jose Mission in San Antonio. In 1943 the site was conveyed to the Texas Fine Arts Assoc. by Clara Driscoll, best known for her efforts to pereserve the Alamo.
History
Laurine Cecil Anderson
(1853-1938) Born the son of slave parents in Tennessee, Laurine Cecil Anderson attended public schools in Memphis and college at Fisk University in Nashville. He came to Texas in 1880 to accept a position as principal of a training school in Brenham. He married Lizzie Pollard in 1882, and they had four children. After her death, he married Fannie Pollard, and they had one child.