History
Goodall Wooten House
Goodall Harrison Wooten (1869-1942) was born in Paris, Texas, the son of Confederate veteran Dr. Thomas Dudley Wooten and his wife, Henrietta Goodall Wooten. Goodall Harrison Wooten attended the University of Texas, were he earned Bachelor's and Master's degrees; and Columbia University, where he received a medical degree in 1895.
Architecture
Goodman Building
Probably constructed in the early 1890s, this commercial building is noted for its decorative brickwork and iron railing. Built for grocer Joseph Goodman, the main floor served as his store until 1924. The upper floor was used from 1892 until about 1896 for Jacob Bickler's German and English Academy, an elite preparatory school.
History
Governor Andrew Jackson Hamilton
(January 28, 1815 - April 11, 1875) The First Republican Governor of Texas Nicknamed "Colossal Jack" because of his imposing stature and his oratorical skill, A.J. Hamilton was born in Alabama. He migrated to Texas about 1846. A lawyer, he served as acting Attorney General of Texas in 1850.
History
Governor Edmund Jackson Davis
(October 2, 1827 - February 7, 1883) Born in Florida, E.J. Davis became a lawyer and judge after moving to Texas. During the Civil War (1861-65), he commanded a regiment of Texas Unionists and rose to the rank of Brigadier General. During the Reconstruction era, Davis led the Radical wing of the Texas Republican Party. In Nov. 1869 he narrowly defeated moderate Republican A.J.
History
Governor Elisha Marshall Pease
(January 3, 1812 - August 26, 1883) In 1835 E. M. Pease migrated to Texas from his native Connecticut. He joined the Texian forces at the Battle of Gonzales, Oct. 2, 1835, which initiated the Texas War for Independence. In the early days of the Republic, he worked as a government clerk and later served in the Legislature and Senate.
History
Governor James Edward Ferguson_Governor Miriam A. Ferguson
Governor James Edward Ferguson (August 31, 1871 - September 21, 1944) Governor Miriam A. Ferguson (June 13, 1875 - June 25, 1961) James Ferguson, son of a Methodist preacher, and Miriam Wallace, daughter of a wealthy farmer, were Bell County natives. They married in 1899 and later settled with their two daughters in Temple. James, running as "Farmer Jim", won the governorship in 1914.
Architecture
Granger House and The Perch
Austin architect Charles Granger (1913-1966) designed the two-story garage and apartment structure at the rear of this lot in 1938. 'The Perch' features a stucco façade and a continuous band of unadorned steel windows, and is a rare austin example of residential international style architecture.
History
Green Pastures
This Victorian home, located on the 1835 Isaac Decker Grant, was built in 1894-95 by Dr. E. W. Herndon and sold in 1912 to Judge W. W. Burnett. It became the residence in 1916 of lawyer Henry Faulk (1867-1939), his wife Martha (Miner) (1878-1957), and their children, Hamilton, Martha, Mary, John Henry, and Texana.
Transport
H&TC and I&GN Depots
On December 25, 1871, the first train into Austin rolled over Waller Creek, bringing with it hope, prosperity and progress. The Houston and Texas Central (H&TC) Railroad made Austin its westernmost terminus in the state and the most prominent trading hub in Central Texas. The railroad brought growth and success to the city and a depot of a first class nature was needed.
History
Hancock Recreation Center
The Austin Country Club (ACC) Clubhouse, later named Hancock Recreation Center, was constructed in 1934. Spearheaded by Lewis Hancock, Jr. and other members, the golf course was constructed in 1899; members incorporated the Austin Golf Club in 1900. Hancock, Austin's Mayor from 1895-1897, wanted to bring golf to Austin, and organized a group of members to finance this endeavor.
History
Henry G. Madison Cabin
Built about 1863 at 807 East 11th Street; homestead of Henry Green Madison (1843-1912), policeman and farmer, his wife Louise, and their eight children. In 1886, Madison built a frame house enclosing the cabin, which remained hidden until a razing crew found it in 1968. The log structure was donated to the City of Austin in 1968 by Mrs.
History
Henry H. and Bertha Sterzing Ziller House
Henry H. and Bertha Sterzing Ziller House Henry (1853-1924) and Bertha (1857-1900) Ziller, both members of families who came to the Austin area from Germany, married in 1876 and purchased this property in 1881. Records indicate that a residence, built about 1877, already existed on the site.
History
Henry Smith
Henry Smith (1788-1851) immersed himself in public affairs soon after arriving in Texas in 1827. Initially a local political leader in what is now Brazoria County, he was appointed in 1835 as a delegate to the San Felipe Consultation, which met to determine Texas' position toward the Mexican dictatorship established by Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna.
History
Herblin - Shoe House
Built in 1899-1900 by local contractor John Allen Greathouse for the William H. Herblin family, this house was located in the neighborhood known as "Quality Hill." Construction costs totaled $2,500. The William B. Shoe family purchased the home in 1927.
History
Hirshfeld Cottage
German native Henry Hirshfeld (1834-1911) migrated to the United States at the age of fifteen. After working with his two uncles in Mobile, Alabama, he moved to Georgetown (28 mi. N), where he enlisted in the Confederate Army. Following his service in the Civil War, Hirshfeld moved to Austin and entered the mercantile business.
History
Hirshfeld House
Henry Hirshfeld (1834-1911), a native of Germany, was a prominent Austin merchant and a leader in the city's Jewish community. In 1873 he and hid wife Jennie (Melasky) built a one-story limestone cottage on the lot west of this site. Because of the financial success and a growing family, they later made plans for a larger home here.
Architecture
Hodnette House
A rare and important example of the Craftsman aesthetic designed by prominent Austin architect Charles H. Page, Sr., this house was built in 1909 for Austin businessman Milton Hodnette. Horizontal emphasis, broad overhanging eaves, a generous porch, the use of local limestone to contrast with brick, and the lanterns (possibly made by local craftsman Fortunat Weigl and common in Charles Page's…
Architecture
Hofheintz-Reissig Store
Built between 1850 and 1875 for German immigrant Henry Hofheintz (1822-1880), this structure served as a grocery and dry goods store for nearly 100 years. Built later was the one-story addition, which was used as a saloon and a residence. Hofheintz' eldest child, Catherine Louise, and her husband, Adolph Reissig, inherited the store, and the property remained in the family until 1966.
History
Hudson Bend
In 1854 Wiley Hudson (b.1825) and his family settled on the bend of Colorado River that was named for him. The 1860 census showed four families living in this vicinity, including Wiley Hudson with his wife Catherine and eight children, as well as a household headed by his father James.
Architecture
Hugh B. Hancock House
Built in 1886, this house was originally located on 7th street in the Robertson Hill area of east Austin. It was constructed for Hugh B. Hancock, a successful black businessman of the city. In 1904 it was sold to german native Charles Frederick Mann, a local railroad engineer, and it remained in his family until 1959.
History
Hyde Park
Advertised in 1892 as "The most fashionable part of the wealthiest and most aristocratic ward in the city", Hyde Park was Austin's first planned suburb. Encompassing an area bordered by the present streets of Guadalupe, 38th, Duval, and 45th, it was promoted by Monroe M. Shipe (1847-1924), President of the Austin Rapid Transit Railway Co. and the M.K.&T. Land and Town Co.
History
In Memory of Thomas Christian, William Strother and Josiah Wilbarger
In Memory of Thomas Christian, William Strother and Josiah Wilbarger, members of a party of five who were attacked near here by Indians in August, 1833. Christian and Strother were killed, Wilbarger was scalped and eventually died of his wounds. The other two escaped.
History
Ira Hobart Evans
(April 11, 1844 - April 19, 1922) Born in New Hampshire, Ira H.Evans grew up in Vermont. During the Civil War he served in the Union Army, attaining the rank of major. He received the Congressional Medal of Honor and in 1865 was a member of the Honor Guard for the funeral of President Lincoln. Following the war, Evans was stationed in Texas along the Rio Grande until 1866.
Architecture
Ireland and Mary Graves House
In the 1930s, Ireland Graves (1885-1969), an attorney and former district judge, bought property in Pemberton Heights from Josephine Lucile Fisher. He hired noted Austin architect Hugo F. Kuehne to build a home for him and his wife, Mary Willis (Stedman) Graves (1884-1965). Construction began in 1937 and was completed the following year.
Architecture
J. P. Schneider Store
In the mid-1860s, shortly after the Civil War, Jacob Peter "Jake" Schneider (1852-1925) began working in William Brueggerhoff's general mercantile store, and part-time as a legislative page in the Capitol. About 1870, he and his mother, Margarita Schneider, opened a store on the corner across the street (north). Brueggerfhoff helped stock the enterprise in payment of a debt.