History
Old Nacogdoches University
Chartered by the Republic of Texas in 1845 to fulfill settlers' ideals for higher education. Financed by public subscriptions. Housed first in military quarters, erected this modified Grecian structure 1858. Occupied by troops in Civil War, it was used by schools until 1930s. Restored in 1960s by friends in Nacogdoches. (1966)
History
Old Nacogdoches University Building
The Republic of Texas chartered Nacogdoches University in 1845 to fulfill East Texas settlers' ideals for higher education. The University occupied various downtown buildings before this building was completed in time for classes in fall 1859. Local citizens underwrote the project with donations of money, materials, land, labor and foodstuffs.
History
Old Spanish Cemetery
This courthouse stands in the Old Spanish Cemetery used from 1800 to 1895. Notable among those whose remains rest here is Antonio Gil y Barbo, 1729-1809. Founder of Nacogdoches. An outstanding figure in the life of this frontier town at the close of the 18th century, who was captain of militia, military and civil lieutenant, governor, and judge of revenue for the town and district of Nuestra…
History
Old Stone Fort
Stones recovered from a razed 18th century structure form the walls of this historic replica building. The stone house stood originally near the intersection of El Camino Real and La Calle del Norte (present main at Fredonia), and was built by Don Antonio Gil Y'Barbo circa 1788-91. Because he was a military and civic leader, his home also served as an unofficial government building.
History
On This Site Stood for a Century an Old Stone House
On this site stood for a century an old stone house thought to have been built in 1779 by Antonio Gil YBarbo. Sold by him as community property in 1805. Headquarters in 1806 for William Barr and Samuel Davenport, Indian traders. It served as trading post, store, warehouse, town hall, fort, barracks, church, tavern, and saloon before being torn down in 1902 by W. W.
History
Original Location of Sacred Heart Catholic Church
The Catholic Church's history has been intertwined with that of Nacogdoches since the first Spanish missions were constructed in the area during the early eighteenth century. Disruptions in the church's activities occurred 1719-1721 during French incursions into Texas, from 1773 until 1779 when the Spanish abandoned Nacogdoches, and from the beginnings of the Texas Revolution in 1834 until 1847,…
History
Pioneer Texas Oil Man: Lyne Taliaferro Barret
(1832 - 1913) Born in Virginia. Came with parents to Texas 1842. Married Angelina Thomas; had 9 children. Drilled the first oil well in Texas, 1866. If efforts to drill early in 1859 had succeeded, he would have completed first oil well in the United States. Low demand and scarce capital halted his oil operations. He spent rest of his life as a farmer and community leader. Recorded - 1966
History
Presidio Nuestra Senora de Los Dolores
Built by Capt. Domingo Ramon 1716 Repaired and enlarged by Marquis of San Miguel de Aguayo 1721 Abandoned about 1730 Built by the Spanish government as a fort and headquarters for soldiers to guard the East Texas missions and the borders of the New Phillipines Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Presidio Nuestra Senora de los Dolores de los Tejas
On April 25, 1716, Captain Domingo Ramón embarked on an expedition to establish a permanent settlement in the Spanish province of Texas, which resulted in the establishment of Presidio Nuestra Señora de los Dolores de los Tejas (also called Presidio Dolores or Presidio de los Tejas). Capt.
History
Sam Houston's First Home in Texas
Sam Houston made his first home in Texas in this historic town of Nacogdoches. A former Tennessee governor and U.S. Congressman, Houston left Washington, D.C. for Texas in December of 1832. The presence of Tennesseeans and fellow Masons Adolphus Sterne and Henry Raguet made Nacogdoches an agreeable place to settle. Houston boarded with the Sternes and soon set up a law practice.
Architecture
Sam P. Smith Place
A good example of an East Texas farm home, this house originally had five rooms, four porches, and an enclosed dog trot. It was built in 1880 for Samuel Pharr and Mary Spencer Smith by Smith's brother-in-law Andrew B. Ireson. A local cabinetmaker and carpenter, Ireson also designed the woodwork and some of the furniture. Sam Smith, who grew up in Nacogdoches County, was a farmer.
History
San Patricio Rancho
William Barr and Samuel Davenport arrived in Nacogdoches by 1797 and settled on nine leagues of land called Presidio Viejo where the old Presidio Dolores was located. The traders renamed the grant San Patricio after the Irish patron Saint Patrick.
Transport
Shay Locomotive No. 2005
Vertical-piston drive and direct-gear design was patented, 1880, by Ephraim Shay. This 36-ton engine was built by Lima Locomotive and Machine Co., 1907, for Behring Co. of Texas, and soon purchased by W. T. Carter and Bro. Lumber Co. Carter used it first on tram roads from forest to mills at Manning and Camden, and later on the company-owned Moscow, Camden & San Augustine Railroad.
History
Site of "El Atascoso"
In 1782, local Spanish official Antonio Gil Y'Barbo granted a league of land "at the place named El Atascoso for a ranch and cultivation" to Nacogdoches citizen Miguel de Cordova. Named for a creek that ran through the site, "El Atascoso" was typical of early Spanish Texas ranchos.
History
Site of "Old Soledad"
Famous throughout East Texas prior to 1800 as the headquarters of William Barr and Samuel Davenport, Indian traders Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of Bivouac and Banquet for The New Orleans' Greys
Led by Adolphus Sterne, citizens of Nacogdoches helped outfit a volunteer force, the New Orleans' Greys, to fight in the Texas War for Independence. One company of Greys traveled overland to San Antonio by way of Nacogdoches in Nov. 1835. The 50-100 men camped for a few days at this site near Sterne's home.
History
Site of First Home in Texas Owned by General Sam Houston
Erected in 1836 by John Forbes, Commissary General of the Army at San Jacinto. Purchased by General Houston April 10, 1839. Marked by the State of Texas 1936.
History
Site of Pattonia
Nearby was the site of the riverport community of Pattonia (also called Patton's Landing), founded by Robert S. and Moses L. Patton in 1844. Pattonia was situated at a bend in the Angelina River on a tract of land patented to General Thomas J. Rusk. The Patton brothers moved to Texas from Georgia in 1835, with Moses serving as a courier for Rusk during the Texas War for Independence.
History
Site of the Home of Antonio Gil y Barbo
Site of the Home of ANTONIO GIL Y BARBO 1729 ... 1809 Founder of modern Nacogdoches in 1779. This Spanish frontiersman matched wits with Spanish governors in the interest of the early settlers of this region. A leader of the people, he brought the exiles back. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of the Home of Charles S. Taylor
(1808-1865) Citizen of Nacogdoches, 1830-1865 A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence Land commissioner and Chief Justice of Nacogdoches County Born in London, England in 1808 Died here November 1, 1865 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of the Home of James Dill
Born in Pennsylvania in 1770. Pioneer Indian trader. Recognized by the King of Spain as a public- spirited citizen. First alcalde of Nacogdoches under the Mexican government in 1821 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of the Home of John S. Roberts
1796-1871 A native of Virginia, came to Texas in 1826. An active participant in the struggle for Texas independence. One of the leaders in Battle of Nacogdoches. Delegate to Consultation, November 3, 1835. Commanded the Nacogdoches Company in storming of Bexar, December 5 to 10, 1835. Signer of Declaration of Independence, March 2, 1836. Marked by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of the Home of Juan Antonio Padilla
A native of Nacogdoches Land commissioner, 1829 Vice-governor of the State of Coahuila and Texas Active in the Texas Revolution Died in Houston in July, 1839. His wife, Maria Montes del Padilla, died here, August 14, 1846 Marked by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of the Home of Thomas J. Rusk
1803 1857 Soldier-Statesman of the Republic of Texas. A hero of San Jacinto. Commander in Chief of the Army 1836. Chief Justice of the Supreme Court 1839. President of the Constitutional Convention, 1845. United States Senator, 1846. He called Nacogdoches his home from 1835 to 1857. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of the Mission Nuestra de la Purisima Concepcion
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1716 with the hope of civilizing and Christianizing the Indians of the region * Abandoned temporarily due to the French incursions from Louisiana in 1719 * Restored by the Marquis of Aguayo in 1721 * Removed to the Colorado River in 1730 and finally situated on the San Antonio River in 1731. Erected by the State of Texas 1936