History
Halfway Inn (Flournoy - Granberry House)
This two-story log dwelling was built on the El Camino Real about 1840 by Samuel Flournoy for his wife Minerva (Wadington) and their family who moved to Texas from Mississippi. They settled in the Chireno area, where they purchased 300 acres.
History
Harmony Cemetery
James Norvel Pitts, a native of Perry County, Mississippi, arrived in Texas in the 1870s. In 1877, his wife Laney (Odom), their son James, and families of five Pitts brothers and other friends from Mississippi traveled by wagon to join him in this area. They established the community of Harmony, and J.N. Pitts donated land for a combination church and school building, and a public cemetery.
History
Helpenstell Cemetery
Helpenstell Cemetery is named for Wilhelm Helpenstell, who buried his infant son, Henry, in a field behind his home in 1861 and designated the site as a cemetery. Helpenstell and his sister, Wilhelmina, had left Prussia in fall 1850 and arrived in Nacogdoches County with fellow immigrants Johann and Wilhelm Kolb.
History
Home of Adolphus Sterne
A pioneer citizen of Nacogdoches. Born in Cologne, Germany, April 5, 1801. Alcalde at Nacogdoches under the Mexican government. Member of the Congress of the Republic of Texas. Died March 27, 1852. Buried in Nacogdoches. Here General Sam Houston made his home both before and after his marriage. The door of Adolphus Sterne was ever open to all the world. Erected by the State of Texas 1836
History
Home of Peter Ellis Bean
(1783-1846) A member of Nolan's Expedition in 1800 Captured and imprisoned in Mexico Soldier in the Mexican struggle for Independence Commandant at Fort Teran, 1831; Nacogdoches, 1832- 1835 Erected in 1829 in the vicinity of a sawmill owned by Bean Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
In Memory of Thomas F. McKinney
(1801-1873) Builder of the first wharf at Galveston Financial advisor of the Republic of Texas Senior member of the firm of McKinney & Williams whose mercantile establishment occupied this site, 1823-1830 Marked by the State of Texas 1936
History
John Balch
Participated in the storming of Bexar, 1835 Battle of San Jacinto, 1836 Born in Tennessee in 1812 Died in 1900. His wife ELIZABTH ROGERS BALCH Born 1826 Died 1893 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
John R. Clute
A soldier in the Army of Texas in 1836 Born in New York March 17, 1803 Died June 27, 1874 His second wife REBECCA A. EWING CLUTE Born in Tennessee May 13, 1833 Died March 15, 1882 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
John S. Roberts
Sheriff in Natchitoches Louisiana in 1826 One of the leaders in Battle of Nacogdoches. Member of Consultation, 1835. Commanded the Nacogdoches Company in storming of Bexar, 1835. Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Born in Virginia, July 13, 1796 Died August 9, 1871 His wife HARRIET ROBERTS Born April 7, 1796 Died April 5, 1874 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Karle Wilson Baker
In the early and mid-20th century, Nacogdoches was the home of a notable poet, writer and woman of letters. Karle Wilson, daughter of William and Kate (Montgomery) Wilson, was born in Little Rock, Arkansas, in October 1878. Her parents moved to Nacogdoches by 1900, and after attending college and teaching, Karle moved to Nacogdoches in 1905. In August 1907, she married local banker Thomas E.
History
Kelsey Harris Douglass
Member of the Second Congress of the Republic Commander of the Texas forces in the decisive battle with the Cherokee Indians, July 16, 1839 Charter member of Grand Masonic Lodge of Texas Died Oct. 4, 1840 His daughter ANNE ELIZABETH DOUGLASS Died in July, 1840 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
King's Highway - Camino Real - Old San Antonio Road
King's Highway - Camino Real - Old San Antonio Road. Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the State of Texas A.D. 1918
History
King's Highway - Camino Real - Old San Antonio Road
King's Highway - Camino Real - Old San Antonio Road. Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the State of Texas A.D. 1918
History
La Calle Real del Norte
An 18th-century trail connecting the Indian villages of the Nacog-doche and Nasoni Indians. Travelled by Spanish missionaries, soldiers and settlers, French traders and American filibusters before Anglo- American colonists came to make Texas their home Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Architecture
Lindsey House
Affluent families of Nacogdoches began building spacious homes in this area overlooking the town in the 1890s. Robert and Emily (Willis) Lindsey, local dry goods merchants noted for their contributions to the arts in Nacogdoches, built this prominent hilltop Victorian residence in 1901. It was designed by noted local architect Dietrich A. W. Rulfs, who designed many of the area's grand residences.
History
Linn Flat Cemetery
This cemetery has served the Linn Flat community since the middle 19th century. John Polk deeded the land as a burial ground in 1849 and stipulated that he be buried in the cemetery's center. Records indicate the earliest grave, unmarked, dates to 1837 and belongs to William Hamilton. The earliest marked grave is that of Polk's wife, Elizabeth Allen Polk, who died in 1855.
History
Louis Juchereau de St. Denis
Canadian Frenchman Louis Juchereau de St. Denis played an important role in the beginnings of Texas. In 1711, Spanish Father Francisco Hidalgo in East Texas wrote a letter to the French Governor Cadillac in Louisiana seeking assistance from the French in the religious conversion of the Caddo Confederacy. In response, Governor Cadillac sent trader St.
History
McKnight Cemetery
McKnight Cemetery began as a burial ground for the family of William Newton and Rebecca McKnight, with the oldest marked grave dating to the 1850s. By the Civil War, it opened to other families in nearby communities, including Glenfawn, Linn Flat and Toliver, a farming town that declined when the Texas and New Orleans Railroad bypassed the community, causing residents to move to neighboring…
History
Milam Lodge #2, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Texas
The Masonic Lodge in Nacogdoches is the oldest in the state still operating in its original location. Before the organization of a Grand Lodge in Texas, Louisiana Masons granted dispensation for individual lodges here. Three lodges, Holland (No. 36) of Brazoria, Milam (No. 40) of Nacogdoches, and McFarland (No. 41) of San Augustine, were organized in this way from 1835-37.
History
Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisima Concepcion de los Hainais
Originally built in 1716, Mission Nuestra Señora de la Pur'sima Concepción de los Hainais was established during Domingo Ramóns expedition to forge Spanish settlements in Texas. Father F'lix Isidro Espinosa, the President of Quer'taran missions in Texas, founded Concepción on July 7, 1716 in the village of the Hainais, the lead tribe of the Hasinai or Tejas Caddo.
History
Nacogdoches County
Home of the Nacogdoches Indians in the 17th Century. Spanish settlements, 1716. Alternately settled and abandoned in 18th Century due to French encroachment. Scene of the Fredonian Rebellion in 1827. Organized a municipality, 1832 under the Mexican Government. Created a county March 17, 1836. Organized May 24, 1837. Nacogdoches, established 1779, became the county seat in 1836.
History
Nacogdoches University
A pioneer co-educational institution incorporated by an independent board February 3, 1845. Granted four leagues of land for its support. Opened September, 1845. Eventually absorbed by the public school system. Marcus A. Montrose, an outstanding early Texas educator, was its first President. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Nicholas Adolphus Sterne
(April 5, 1801 - March 27, 1852) Arriving in New Orleans in 1817, German-Jewish emigrant Adolphus Sterne became a merchant and joined the Masonic Lodge. In 1826, when he settled in Nacogdoches, he became one of the first Scottish Rite Masons in Texas. He aided this cause of Texas independence during the Fredonian Rebellion and Texas Revolution.
History
Oak Grove Cemetery
Originally called "American Cemetery," Oak Grove Cemetery is located on the 1826 land grant of Empresario Haden Edwards. The leader of the 1826 Fredonian Rebellion, Edwards is interred here. The earliest marked burial on this site is that of Franklin J. Starr (d. 1837), a native of New Hartford, Connecticut and a local realtor.
History
Old "Red" House
On this site stood...Headquarters of Colonel Jose de las Piedras, commander of the Mexican garrison in Nacogdoches, 1827-1839. The property, after the Texas Revolution, of General Thomas J. Rusk. Served as classrooms for the University of Nacogdoches, 1845-1852.