History
Site of the Mission Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe
A Spanish outpost founded in 1716 by the pioneer Franciscan Antonio Margil de Jesus as a means of civilizing and christianizing the Nacogdoches Indians. Abandoned temporarily due to the French incursions from Louisiana in 1719. Restored by the Marquis of Aguayo in 1721. Abandoned permanently in 1773.
History
Site of the Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisma Conception
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1716 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Indians of the region. Abandoned temporarily due to the French incursions from Louisiana in 1719. Restored by the Marquis of Aguayo in 1721. Removed to the Colorado River in 1730 and finally situated on the San Antonio River in 1731.
History
Site of the Town of Mount Sterling
Established by John Durst in 1837. Near the ruins of the Mission La Purisima Concepcion de Maria he built a saw and grist mill; in the town, a large warehouse. From his house he could see the boats moored to the wharves on the Angelina. The Cordova Rebellion in 1838 sealed the doom of the town. Durst moved to Leon County. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Stephen Fuller Austin
(November 3, 1793 - December 37, 1836) Republics often point to one person whose vision and leadership led to their creation. For the Republic of Texas (1836-1845) that person is Stephen Fuller Austin. Austin, the son of Moses and Maria Brown Austin, was born on the Virginia frontier.
Museums & Art
Stone Fort Museum
Opening in 1936, the Stone Fort Museum has interpreted the history of East Texas and of the Old Stone Fort while also elevating the local historic preservation ethic. The Old Stone Fort, built in the late 18th century, was an integral part in a wide array of historic changes occurring in East Texas.
Transport
Texas Stagecoaches, C.S.A.
At this site on the historic King's Highway, used since 1691, passengers boarded stagecoaches during the Civil War, 1861-65. Besides this stand, the town had 2 others, to serve 3 stage lines operating here. Wm. Clark had the line to Mt. Pleasant, Haston & Lee the one to Tyler, and Sawyer & Risher (contractors for 15 Texas lines) the one to Waco. Passengers for Waco boarded a coach at 6 a.m.
History
The Daily Sentinel
The first newspapers in Texas, beginning in 1813, all had direct links to Nacogdoches. The leading family in the newspaper business was that of Col. R.D. Orton and his nephews, Robert W. (R.W.) and Giles Haltom. In 1899, following years of weekly newspapers, R.W., Giles and W.H. Harris established a daily newspaper under the name The Daily Phone.
Architecture
The Millard - Lee House
Built about 1837 by Nacogdoches merchant-deputy postmaster - road overseer Robert F. Millard (1803-47) as family home that sometimes was also a boardinghouse. In 1859 David Lee, a blacksmith-merchant-county official, bought the house. Then situated near public square in Nacogdoches (5 mi. S), it remained until 1960 the Lee family home. In 1970, Mrs.
Architecture
The Roland Jones House
Late Victorian residence built 1896-97 by architect D. A. G. Rulfs for Mr. and Mrs. H. P. Matthews and daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Roland Jones. Matthews was a railroad executive; Jones, a businessman. Four generations of Jones' family lived here. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973
History
Thomas Young Buford
A San Jacinto Veteran Born in South Carolina August 5, 1814 Died August 23, 1839 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Town of Douglass
Located on the Old San Antonio Road four miles east of the Angelina River and fourteen miles west of Nacogdoches, the town of Douglass sits on the extreme northeast corner of the old Barr and Davenport grant called the San Patricio Ranch. Michael Costley, known as "The Father of Douglass," arrived in Texas in spring of 1832.
History
Washington Square
First Home of Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College Washington Square, a historic Nacogdoches center from the inception of the old Nacogdoches University in the 1840s, became in 1904 a part of the Nacogdoches Independent School District (NISD). When the facilities on the 208-acre campus of the new Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College were not ready for occupancy in 1923, President Alton W.
History
Washington Square
When Nacogdoches University was chartered by the Republic of Texas in 1845, three early settlers --Haden Edwards, Charles S. Taylor, and J. R. Arnold -- donated 21.5 acres of land for the school. Known as Washington Square by 1848, the land was bounded by the present-day streets of Hughes, Mound, Edwards, and Fredonia.
History
Westminster Presbyterian Church
Presbyterians have long played an important role in Nacogdoches; the earliest Presbyterian influence here dates to the 1830s, with several churches organizing later in the century. In 1893, Rev. B. A. Hodges and twelve founding members established Main Street Presbyterian Church under the Cumberland denomination's Presbytery of Texas.
History
William Clark, Jr.
A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Born in Virginia, April 14, 1798 Died January 3, 1871 His wife MARTHA B. WALL CLARK Born May 16, 1801 Died February 4, 1863 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Military
Women's Army Corps School
Founded in 1942 in response to the overwhelming need for volunteers for service in World War II, the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) became a regular unit of the U.S. Army as the Women's Army Corps (WAC) in 1943. By 1945 the Corps reached its peak enrollment of about 100,000, with women serving both at home and abroad. In early 1943, at a time when enrollment at Stephen F.
History
Zion Hill Baptist Church Cemetery
The Rev. Lawson Reed came to Nacogdoches in 1878 to find no organized Baptist church serving the black community. For a time, he attended the Union Church with other Baptists as well as Presbyterians and Methodists, sometimes leading services there. The Rev. Mr. Reed prevailed upon local Baptists to organize their own church, and in 1879 they began to meet under a brush arbor.