Architecture
Lampasas County Courthouse
Lampasas County Courthouse After the Texas Legislature created Lampasas County in 1856, official business of the county was conducted from a variety of spaces and buildings. Land for the courthouse square was set aside when the town of Lampasas was platted in the 1850s.
History
Lampasas County Jail
County jail, built 1883 of native stone with Romanesque trim. Later stuccoed. Supports of interior scaffold remain. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
History
Lampasas County, C.S.A.
Organized 1856; had 1028 people in 1860; favored secession by 85 to 75 vote in 1861. Sent 2 units to serve in Texas State Troops, 2nd Frontier District; one unit to 17th Texas Infantry; 2 units to 27th Brigade, Texas Militia. Also had 48 Minute Men in 6 patrols to guard home front and property of men away at war.
Civic & Local
Lampasas Volunteer Fire Department
Beginning with two hose-reel companies and one hook and ladder company in late 1880's this department has been constantly on call. Has fought many serious blazes; assisted during several disastrous floods. On Christmas Eve, the big red trucks carry food and clothing to the needy.
History
Little Hotel
After the nearby Gracy (now Keystone) Hotel was completed in 1870, it was decided to use the leftover stone for the construction of a "Little Hotel." Built for J. L. N. Gracy and his bride, the structure contained a private apartment upstairs and rooms for travelers downstairs.
History
Long Cove Baptist Church
The organizational meeting for the Long Cove Baptist Church was held on February 22, 1876, by The Rev. Noah T. Byars, a prominent early Texas Baptist minister. There were eight charter members in the congregation, which originally was known as Sims Creek Baptist Church. By 1885, the name Long Cove had been adopted. Membership grew under the leadership of itinerant pastors.
History
Long Meadows Cemetery
PLEASANT C. COX, WHO PATENTED THIS LAND, FIRST VISITED THE AREA IN THE 1830s. HE AND HIS WIFE, MARTHA JANE (BYBEE), CAME TO TEXAS BY WAGON TRAIN FROM MISSOURI IN 1851, SETTLING HERE IN 1855. PLEASANT COX WAS ONE OF THE PETITIONERS TO CREATE LAMPASAS COUNTY IN 1856. MOST OF THE DOZENS OF BURIALS HERE ARE UNMARKED, WITH SOME PREDATING THE EARLIEST MARKED BURIAL OF JOSEPH COX (1867-1872).
Architecture
Malone-Manuel House
Malone-Manuel House. Frank R. Malone came to Lampasas in the early 1880s as the city became a commercial center and resort town. In 1885, as a cashier for First National Bank, he proposed and helped found the Texas Bankers Association, which held its first meeting that year in Lampasas. Around that time, he and his five Ann built this home. In 1888, the Malones sold the property to Wm.
Architecture
Manuel Hardware Building
This 1884 Building was constructed on property owned by John R. Guynes, and the First National Bank was one of the first tenants. Partners Barnes and Higdon occupied the building during the 1890's, and W.F. Barnes purchased the building from Guynes' estate in 1899. J. N. Manuel purchased the building in 1900, and it housed the Manuel Hardware Co. for the next 60 years.
History
Matt and Rebecca Smith House
John Madison "Matt" and Rebecca Wells Smith built this Queen Anne cottage circa 1902. Matt (1858-1936) moved to Burnet County, Texas as a young boy, and in 1891, he wed Rebecca (d. 1945). He served as a deputy sheriff before the couple moved to Lampasas in 1896. Here, they operated the Lampasas Hotel, a restaurant and saloon. Matt continued to work as a deputy sheriff and also as a deputy U.S.
History
McAnelly Settlement
Threshold for settlement of Lampasas, San Saba counties. Commemorates homestead site of Robert D. McAnelly (1806-1888) who came here in early 1830's; was surveyor of large areas of surrounding land. McAnelly's Bend was named for him in 1858. His son, Cornelius, was first white child born in Lampasas County.
History
Moline School Site
The Moline community was settled on the north central boundary line of Lampasas County in the 1880s. Early families in the area were the Carswells, Cooks, Andersons, Woods, Bakers, O'Neals, Hairstons, Pattersons, Poes, Murphys, Adamses, and Woolseys. Children of the settlers attended school in Payne Gap (Mills County) or in the Gray community.
History
Moses Hughes Home, 1856
Family kept a mule tied to live oak in the yard, to bray and warn them of Indian attack. RTHL - 1966
History
Nix
Settlers came to this site along the Fort Phantom Hill Road in the 1860s and established the village of Nix. Harvey Wallace opened a general store in 1875, and his wife Elizabeth became the first postmaster. Several springs ran nearby, including Dripping Springs near the Nix Cemetery founded in 1878. By 1885, citizens started a school on the Levi Ringer place.
History
Oak Hill Cemetery
Hartwell Fountain sold ten acres of land to the City of Lampasas in 1872 to establish this cemetery. Originally known as City Cemetery, it was renamed Oak Hill Cemetery in 1908. The Ladies Cemetery Association, a group of concerned Lampasas women, maintained the cemetery from 1891 to 1948, when the city assumed responsibility.
History
Old Cook Home, 1861
Of white native stone and lumber hauled here by wagons. First cemetery in county is nearby. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966
History
Old Huling Mansion
Later the "Snap" Bean Ranch House. Built 1855 with slave labor, of native stone and cedar. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Old Town of Senterfitt (Ghost Town)
The town was named for Reuben S. Senterfitt, the Cattle King in this area in 1850s. The post office was established at an early stage stand in 1877. Mr. Senterfitt laid out the townsite and donated land for a cemetery and a school. The town served a large area of central Texas by producing many supplies such as wool, hides, cotton, and pecans.
Military
Operation Long Horn
The close of World War II brought new tensions to America that led to the Cold War. Under fear of communism and nuclear assault, the U.S. Army and Air Force simulated a war in one of the largest maneuvers ever to be staged on American soil. Called Operation Long Horn, the simulation included thwarting an invasion and recovering from an atomic attack.
Military
Phantom Hill Road
In 1851-52, in a major reorganization of the frontier defense system, the U.S. Army built a line of 7 forts between the Red River and the Rio Grande to protect the scattered remote settlements and travel routes to California. On Nov. 14, 1851, Fort Phantom Hill was established near present Abilene (120 miles NW) by Col. J. J. Abercrombie and the 5th Infantry.
History
Philip Smith House
Built 1856 by Texas War for Independence teamster, Philip Smith. 24" walls of native rock; cedar framework. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966
History
Phillips and Trosper Buildings
Many of Lampasas' downtown structures, including buildings on the site owned by prominent developer John B. Higdon, were gutted by fire in August 1884. Higdon then sold one lot to David W. Phillips, who served in the State Legislature in 1898-1902. Late in 1884, Phillips erected the eastern half of this pair of adjoining structures. Grocers J. M. and A. L.
Civic & Local
Pierian Club
Pierian Club Twenty civic-minded women in 1902 chartered the Pierian Club of Lampasas, which became a member organization of the General Federation of Women's Clubs and the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs that same year. The club was named for the mythical Pierian Spring, and the members focused on literature, art, education, social issues, Texas heritage and philanthropy.
History
Pleasant Valley Farmers' Alliance No. 1
First chapter of the Farmers' Alliance in Texas. Founded 1877, it became one of the strongest arms of the national agrarian reform movement of the era. The group was begun by John R. Allen on Donaldson Creek (1 mi. S) in a "rawhide" (rough) lumber school. Its main purpose was to improve ruinous farm living and economic conditions.
History
Richard S. Stokes
Joined Confederate Army, as a private, Aug. 7, 1861; was promoted to 1st Lt., Co. I, 8th Infantry, Miss. Regiment, on Aug. 29, 1864. Came to Texas in 1868, settled in Lampasas County as a rancher and farmer; married Elizabeth Rawson, and had seven children. On July 19, 1911, at Chadwick's Mill, on the Colorado River, at age 73, Stokes rescued Lillie B. Evetts, Eva Foster, and R.