History
Adamsville
The first permanent settlers came to this area shortly before Lampasas County organized in 1856. Oliver Hazzard Perry Townsen bought 640 acres from Samuel Horrell, Sr. and his wife Elizabeth in 1868. Townsen grew wheat and established a flour mill, and in 1876 became postmaster of Townsen Mills southeast of this site near the Lampasas River.
History
Atherton School
The first educational facility in this area, a boarding school for boys, opened in the 1880s. It was housed in a two-story structure built on land owned by F. M. Farley. A local schoolteacher, Abbie Atherton, applied to the U.S. Government for a post office for the community in 1892. The post office was named Atherton, and Abbie Atherton served as first postmistress.
History
Battle Branch
Battle Branch This branch of Sulphur Creek was named for an event in the Horrell-Higgins Feud. On the morning of March 26, 1877, Tom and Mart Horrell were going to Lampasas to attend district court. En route, they were ambushed by gunmen hiding in the brush near this location. The Horrells returned fire and the attackers rode away.
History
Birthplace of Stanley Walker
(1898 - 1962) Noted Texas journalist and editor. Began his career in Austin and Dallas. From 1920 to 1935 was with New York "Herald-Tribune", where as City Editor he trained many writers. Also was on staff of Philadelphia "Ledger". He wrote "The Night Club Era", "Mrs. Astor's Horse", 5 other books, many articles. Spent last years here.
Architecture
C.C. Abney House
Built in 1883 by P. M. Hargraves. Methodist parsonage, 1913-27. Construction featured beaded wainscoting and carved beveled glass. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964
History
C.S.A. Salt Works
West of here, on the Colorado. Brine springs used by Indians as infirmary or health resort. Increased operations in Civil War to make Army supply, for the men, cavalry horses and mule teams; and for general use for table and ranch purposes. To pump brine from the spring, a horse driven in a circle operated a lift that filled troughs upon a 40-foot-high scaffold.
History
Centenary College and St. Dominic's Villa
Centenary College Preparatory School, Lampasas' first coeducational college, was founded 1883 by the local Methodist Episcopal Church, on the centennial of the organization of Methodism in the United States. First president was The Rev. Marshall McIlhaney, at a salary of $125 per month. Two 3-story buildings comprised the plant.
History
Chadwick's Mill
(Site three miles north) Famous pioneer sawmill, flour mill, and cotton gin. Built 1874 by Henry A. Chadwick and son Milam. A sturdy oak dam across river supplied power. A millrace chiseled in sandstone channeled water to millstones. Mill and gin house were also sandstone. A fish trap in millrace offered food and sport to customers, who often had to wait several days for a turn at the mill.
History
Cook Cemetery
This cemetery, Lampasas' oldest, was established as a pioneer community graveyard in the mid-1850s. The first marked burial here was that of Rebecca Hughes in 1854. The cemetery is named after Arkansas natives William M. and Cynthia Cook who moved to Texas about 1856 and bought the land containing this graveyard in 1861. No recorded burials occurred here after that of J. S. Brown (d.
History
First Public School in Lampasas
Erected 1895 to replace rented sites and aid in raising standards. In constant use. (1965)
History
First State Meeting of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas
On April 20, 1892, thirteen members of the Daughters of the Lone Star Republic met in joint session with the Texas Veterans Association in Lampasas. Having been organized the previous November in Houston, the Daughters had been at work in the interim preparing a constitution and by-laws. Guy M.
History
Flood, The 1957
The 1957 Flood The area around Lampasas drains to the Sulphur Creek basin, and the stream flows across the town from the southwestern edge to the east side, intersecting with Burleson Creek and other branches along the way. Floods have struck the town throughout its history, and notable early ones occurred in 1873, 1936 and 1944.
History
Garrison Greenwood
(December 19, 1799 - October 18, 1859) A ranger in Republic of Texas, Greenwood left Illinois to avoid Indian Wars. Arrived in Texas (then part of Mexico) in 1833 with wagon train of Baptist Daniel Parker. In 1835 he helped found Fort Houston (in present Anderson County); set up a Ranger post on Trinity River to fight Indians.
Nature
Hancock Springs
First white settlers in 1850's found Indians using curative waters here. Town was quickly developed around the springs. Stage and freight routes and many cattle drives came this way. The springs took the name of landowner, John Hancock. On a hill to the north about 1882, promoters of the Santa Fe Railway built a 200-room "Park Hotel," with boardwalk to the springs, bathhouses, many other luxuries.
History
Hancock Springs Bathhouse
Hancock Springs Bathhouse. Pioneer settlers began establishing homes near Lampasas Springs and Sulphur Creek in the 1850s. During the middle 19th century, stories of the mineral springs and their curative powers began attracting tourists to Lampasas, which was sometimes called the 'Saratoga of the South,' in reference to the famed New York spa community.
History
Hanna Springs
Famous health spa and resort of early Lampasas. These sulphur springs were first exploited by John Hanna, member of a locally prominent family. Hundreds came to camp and take the healing waters. As reputation of area grew, the Central Texas Town Co. was formed to promote park, 1884.
History
Hart House
Built soon after Civil War. At first was 2-room, 2-story stagecoach stand and hotel. During 1870's was enlarged twice, to board visitors of the local health resort. Also has been a tannery, and has survived two floods of Sulphur Creek. (1966)
History
Hostess House
Mineral springs such as nearby Hancock Springs flow into Sulphur Creek, providing Lampasas with waters for recreation and health. The Hancock Springs tract became a fashionable tourist attraction and convention and encampment site in the late 19th century; by the 1880s, Lampasas advertised as "The Saratoga of the South.
Architecture
Huling Cottage
Built 1860-1872. Native limestone and cedar. New England colonial architecture. Bought 1872 for $3,000 in gold by Mrs. Elizabeth Bullock Smith Huling, who as an orphan from Kentucky was in the group of Texas families fleeing toward the Sabine River just ahead of Santa Anna's army in the 1836 "Runaway Scrape". Her husband, Thomas B.
History
J. A. Adkins House
Built 1868 by pioneer doctor, J. A. Adkins. House material came from patients paying in stone rather than cash. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966
History
James Jackson Beeman
(December 21, 1816 - December 7, 1888) One of the first settlers in Dallas and Weatherford. Born in Madison County, Ill., came to Texas 1840. He helped cut first road in Trinity Bottoms, name Turtle Creek (1841), and plat city of Dallas, 1842.
Military
James S. Gillett
(1810-1874) Lawyer and frontier fighter. Born in Kentucky. Attained rank of Major in Mexican War, 1846-49. He was elected to the 3rd Texas Legislature, serving 1849-50. Appointed by Gov. P. H. Bell, he was Adjutant General of Texas, Nov. 24, 1851, to Feb. 4, 1856. He was again in the Texas Rangers in 1859-60 and served under Confederacy in Civil War, 1861-65. He married Elizabeth Harper.
History
John Patterson House
Built 1879-1880 by John Patterson, first man to cultivate (in 1854) land in county, and a Minute Man during Civil War. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
History
Keystone Hotel
1870. Famous early-day stagecoach inn of J. L. N. Gracy. Windows have keystone arches. Native rock was hauled to site by oxen. In rear was grave of boy killed by Indians; also bell tower, house for employees. Wagon yard was across road. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
History
Lampasas Colored School
The oldest public school building in Lampasas is also a reminder of the era of segregated education. This was the site of a schoolhouse for African American students in 1898. In 1922, citizens voted in favor of a $40,000 bond to remodel the grammar school and high school for white students and erect a new building for black students.