History
Saint Mary's Catholic Church
Catholics in this area organized services in 1880 at a chapel on William Mark Wittenburg's ranch (about 23 mi. NW). In 1885 they built a church on West Fifth Street in Lampasas, dedicated to Saint Mary. Mass was celebrated once a month for a parish covering 3,200 square miles. After 1900 Father Joseph le Gardeur, chaplain at the nearby convent and school, offered weekly Mass.
Transport
Santa Fe Depot, 1904
1904. Early-day center for news and social life. Replaced mule car from old depot to city square. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966 Supplemental plate: Santa Fe syndicate (builder of this depot) operated the Mule-Drawn Streetcar - 1880's to turn of century. The syndicate was bringing guests to park hotel, near Mineral Springs in Hancock Park. Syndicate ads all over the U.S.
Transport
Scholten Railroad
(Owned by the "Scholten Brothers Cedar Company") A 25-mile narrow-gauge railroad that operated about 1912-1920 from Lometa to San Saba County. Constructed by Edward and Alfred Scholten (from Holland), line hauled cedar posts and piling to Santa Fe Line at Lometa to be distributed to fast-growing West Texas. Employees totaled 500. Headquarters were located 100 yards west.
History
Senterfitt Cemetery
Pioneer Reuben S. Senterfitt came to this area in the 1860s. A town named for him gradually built up and at its peak boasted hotels, mills, stores, saloons, a school, churches, a stage stop, and this cemetery. The town declined after it was bypassed by the railroad in the 1890s. The cemetery contains the graves of many early settlers. The oldest documented burial here is that of Joseph C.
History
Shade Denson House
Built in Civil War era by Shadrick T. Denson, soldier of Forney's Brigade in the Confederate Army. Builder was Lampasas County sheriff, 1870-74, in time of deadly feuds. Shot in the line of duty, later died as result of wound. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Site of Abney Plunge
In 1902, local businessmen hired the American Drilling Co. to dtill for oil at this site on W.B. Abney's property. Early the next year, the crew struck sulphur water, which was noted for having medicinal qualities. They also found sources of salt and surface water. On several occasions, water stopped flowing at Abney's well.
Transport
Site of Lometa Reservoir
Remains of facilities at the site of Lometa Reservoir (Santa Fe Lake) are evidence of the role the Santa Fe Railway Co. played in area development. Lometa was established as a railroad town in the mid-1880s. When a second rail line came through in 1909, the railroads needed a water supply for steam locomotives.
History
Site of Old Opera House
(1883-1894) Typical of the efforts of early communities to bring culture to the frontier, the Elks Opera House was also the scene of traveling theatricals, local amateur dramas, and reunions of Confederate veterans. Sometimes called the Barnes Opera House (for owner) it presented "Ten Nights in a Bar Room," "Dr. Jekyll and Mr.
History
Site of Park Hotel
The year 1882 ushered in an era of prosperity for Lampasas, as the city became the western terminus for the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe line out of Galveston. The city became a trading point for settlers who came for access to the rail line. Known for the curative powers of its local spring water, Lampasas also became a destination for those seeking health and relaxation.
Architecture
St. Mary's Episcopal Church
Built 1884 of native limestone. Oldest church in area still in use. Modeled after Gothic church in Rugby, England, birthplace of W. T. Campbell, pioneer communicant. Other parish founders include: A. H. Barnes, Dr. J. C. Bierbower, T. H. Haynie, W. C. Price, J. F. White, J. E. Raiburne, and W. H. Webber. Interior decor including oaken altar and pews is original.
History
Texas Bankers Association
Organized in 1885, this group is the oldest and largest (with 1,150 member banks as of 1969) State Bankers Association in the United States. Inspired by the ten-year success of the American Bankers Association, two young bankers of Lampasas Springs, Frank R. Malone and E. M. Longcope, composed on May 26, 1885, an enthusiastic letter presenting the need for a similar group in Texas.
Military
Thomas Pratt
Thomas Pratt (1807-1878). Veteran of Army of Republic of Texas, he was Captain of 1st Regt., T. J. Green's Brigade, in 1836. In Civil War (1861-65), served in Texas Militia, Confederate Army. In private life, was farmer and rancher. Owned land in Coleman and Lampasas counties. His wife Susan (1795?-1878) was a member of first Anglo colony in Texas.
History
Townsen's Mill
Built on Mill Branch in 1872, Perry and Jasper Townsen's steam mill cut "rawhide" lumber and ground wheat and corn. Post office established 1881 moved in 1891 to Adamsville store of John Adams and The Rev. McCall Smith. Mr. Smith built, and was pastor of, earliest Presbyterian church there.
History
W. N. Huling Home, 1877
Mrs. Huling, a Lampasas banker's daughter, was cousin to U.S. Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
Architecture
W. R. Hughes Home
Built 1880 by W. R. Hughes, farmer, orchard grower. "Old Plantation" architecture; has ornate gables, dormers, glass. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966
History
Walter P. Acker
Walter Acker joined the Confederate Army in Paulding, Mississippi at age 16. He arrived in Lampasas in 1875 as an attorney with his second wife, Elizabeth. He was elected district attorney in 1878. state representative in 1883, and mayor in 1901. In 1910 Acker moved to Harris County and served three terms in the State Legislature from that district.