Architecture
Hunt County Courthouse, 1929
Built in 1929 as the seventh Hunt County Courthouse, this building was designed by W. R. Ragsdale & Sons of Greenville and Page Brothers of Austin. The 6-story building depicts a transition from classical revival to art deco architecture.
Transport
Hunt County's First Railroad
Missouri, Kansas & Texas (Katy) Railway, whose first train from Denison reached here Oct. 1, 1880. A $5,000 cash bonus and right of way across Hunt County were guaranteed by Greenville men: F. P. Alexander, M. M. Arnold, A. Cameron, J. J. Cooper, J. C. Edmonds, Fred Ende, I. N. Harrison, J. W. Hawkins, J. T. Jenkins, W. C. Jones, J. C. O'Neal, W. G. Perkins, N. I.Ross, Edward Schiff, Sam D.
History
Incorporation of Commerce
The events leading up to the incorporation of the city of Commerce can be traced to the 1853 establishment of Josiah H. Jackson's general store about one and one-half miles northeast of this site. The village that developed around his store was known as Cow Hill, and it grew to be an active trading center.
History
Jernigin's Store
A Tennessee native and former Arkansas legislator, William Jernigin (1819-80) came to Hunt County in 1856. A pioneer merchant in the nearby village of Cow Hill, he moved to this vicinity in 1872 and opened a mercantile store (1 blk. W). Two years earlier, completion of a bridge over the South Sulphur River had created a new trade route through the area.
History
John L. Southall
(June 11, 1869 - Oct. 6, 1912) Assistant chief of police of Greenville. Was killed in line of duty in attempt to arrest drunken gunman. Southall's soft nosed bullets were ineffective in battle, as his practice was to wound and stop, not kill. Also killed was Special Deputy Sheriff Emmett Shipp.
History
Josiah Hart Jackson, Texas Ranger
(1821-1892) Born in Kentucky. Came to Texas 1839. In 1850s opened Jackson's store, 1 mi. NE of here, starting "Cow Hill," a village with race track, blacksmith shop, other stores. He became postmaster and renamed place Ashland, 1873.. But moved post office here to Commerce, at city's birth. Married Sarah A. Maddox in 1841; had 6 children. After her death, married Elvira Jernigan Hart.
Nature
Lake Tawakoni
One of the largest lakes wholly within Texas. Completed 1960, it covers 36,700 acres. Impounded by 5.5-mile-long iron bridge dam on Sabine River, it has a shore line of 200 miles. Constructed and owned by the Sabine River Authority of Texas. Financed by city of Dallas under terms of a water supply contract. Other towns also buy lake's water.
History
Lallie P. Carlisle
(1866-1949) First woman in Texas to hold an elective public office. Upon death of her first husband, E. W. Briscoe, she was appointed, April 17, 1902, by the Commissioners' Court to complete his term as clerk of Hunt County. At that time women could not vote in Texas. A ruling by the Attorney General of Texas upheld the appointment. Mrs. Briscoe, mother of five, later married C. C. Carlisle.
History
Lebanon Cemetery
This land has been used as a burial ground since the 1860s. Rebecca Hart Williams Little (1818-1891), a pioneer who came to this area in the 1830s, formally deeded the property for church and school purposes in 1871. The earliest marked grave is that of Harlan Lindley (1845-1871).
History
Library Movement in Greenville
In 1897, Greenville's Chautauqua Literary and Social Circle formed the Women's Review Club, which aimed to create a circulating library; each member donated books. The Review Club opened their library in 1900. By 1903, the popular library had to move to larger facilities. The club sought funds from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, who offered $15,000 for a building.
History
Majors Army Airfield
In 1941 the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) informed Greenville officials that the city would receive Federal assistance to build a civilian airport as part of the country's preparation for possible entry into World War II. In April 1941 U. S.
History
Merit Cemetery
The 1870 U.S. Census lists most area settlers as farmers from the Upland South. One such family was that of Dr. Alexander Murchison, who arrived from Polk County, Georgia. Through his efforts the Methodist Church organized in Apr. 1871. In the 1870s, Judge William W. Merritt's visit and speech so impressed residents that they found their town namesake (later shortened to Merit).
History
Mt. Carmel Cemetery
(0.9 miles south) William J. "Uncle Billy" Williams (1826-1918), whose family settled this area in 1844, set aside 3.5 acres of this cemetery in 1852 for burial of his two-year-old niece, Angelina Williams. Oldest gravestones are those of his parents, Elizabeth (1789-1861) and George Williams (1786-1863). First called Williams Cemetery, it became known as Mt.
History
Old National Road Crossing
1 mi. N.E. below junction of Short Creek and Sulphur River. The Central National Road of Texas (Republic) was created by act of Texas Congress, 1844, with intent to give the new nation a unified transportation route.
History
Peniel
Religious community founded in 1899 in conjunction with the establishment of Texas Holiness University on this site by E. C. DeJernett and B. A. Cordell. Title deeds prohibited sale or use of alcoholic drinks and tobacco, and practice of "worldly amusements," such as card playing and dancing. Post office opened in 1901, with name of "Holiness"; changed in 1902 to "Peniel," for a biblical site.
History
Public Libraries of Greenville
In 1903 the Woman's Review Club organized the Greenville Public Library. Various locations were used until a building at 2713 Stonewall was funded by the National Library Program of the steel millionaire, Andrew Carnegie. The city Federation of Women's Clubs provided books and maintained the library. The first Catholic church in the city was located on this lot.
History
Quinlan
The city of Quinlan began about 1892 as a stop on the Texas Midland Railroad. Owned by famed bond investor Hettie Green, called by the contemporary press "the witch of Wall Street," the railroad was operated by her son, Edward H. R. Green.
History
Route of Old Colony Line Road
Early travel artery. Followed the north boundary line of the Chas. F. Mercer colony, a 6,500-square-mile tract granted to Mercer in 1844 by Sam Houston (President of the Republic of Texas) for purpose of bringing colonists into Texas. Southern half of Hunt County once lay in this pioneer colony.
History
Site of Early Commerce Schools
By 1883, the scholastic population of Commerce had outgrown the public school which opened ten years earlier. Land at this site, purchased by the Commerce Educational Assoc., was chosen for a new schoolhouse. The first building here, a two-story frame structure, became Commerce High School.
History
Site of Henry and Emerson Colleges
Prominent early institutions. Henry College, founded in 1892 by educators Henry Bridges and Henry Eastman, was re-established and renamed in 1903 for writer Ralph Waldo Emerson. Closed 1907. Other early colleges in Hunt County were Calhoun (1887-1899), Texas Holiness (1899-1920), the Elmwood Institute (1898-1906), Burleson (1895-1931) and Wesley (1914-1937).
History
Site of Phillips Field/Majors Stadium
In 1929, Eula Lasater Phillips donated $3,500 to the Greenville Athletic Council to build an athletic field at this site in memory of her late husband, Frank Phillips. The first athletic event in Phillips Field was a football game between the Greenville High School Lions and the Leopards of Dallas Oak Cliff on Oct. 4, 1929.
History
Site of Wesley College
Founded 1905 by North Texas Conference of Methodist Church as the North Texas University Training School (coeducational), in Terrell, Tex. Raised in 1909 to junior college status and renamed. With support from local people, moved to Greenville for the fall session of 1912. Curriculum emphasized liberal arts. Presidents were the Rev. J. J. Morgan; the Rev. S. M. Black; Dr. D. H. Aston; S. E.
History
Sonora Cemetery
The Sonora Cemetery had its origin in 1872 with the burial of S. B. McBee, who is believed to be a child of pioneer settlers. Located adjacent to the site of the Sonora Community Church and School on a 3.5 acre lot, the burial ground covered more than seven acres by 1880.
History
St. Paul School
The community of Neylandville traces its history to the 1850s. James Brigham, a former slave, bought farmland in the area after purchasing his family's freedom. Following the Civil War and the emancipation of slaves, other black families began to settle near Brigham's farm.
Architecture
The Old Greenville Post Office
Tradition says mail came from Jefferson in early days and was dropped at a saloon. Greenville Post Office was created in 1847, and occupied rented quarters until 1910, when this structure was built. Neo-classic in style, it became an important element in architectural development of the city. In 1930, it was enlarged.