History
The Seven Courthouses of Hunt County
In 1846, when Hunt County was created, Greenville was chosen as the county seat. Court sessions were held under oak trees at the corner of St. John and Bourland streets until the first courthouse was built here in 1847. A log cabin, it was located on the west side of the square. It was replaced in 1853 by a 2-story frame courthouse on the northwest corner.
Architecture
W. R. J. Camp House
Constructed in 1914, this was the home of respected Greenville banker William R. J. Camp and his wife, Dora. The impressive two-story brick classical revival home features giant Ionic columns along the front and in triplicate flanking the entry steps. Also featured are the side gables and a porte cochere at the east side, as well as the window details and the stately second floor balcony.
Architecture
Wesley College Administration Building
After its operation by North Texas Conference of the Methodist Church in Terrell (Tex.) in 1905-11, Wesley College moved here 1912. This administration building, erected 1914-15, burned in the 1920s but was rebuilt by the church and faithful laymen. Incise in base: Erected by Alumni and Ex-students Association.
History
White Rock Community
Originally named Tidwell Creek, the settlement of White Rock began as a stop on the Sherman-Jefferson Trail. According to local tradition, the first settlers were members of the Jonas Havens family. A post office was established in 1857. Businesses in the town included stores, saloons, a blacksmith shop, a mill, and a gin. A school was in operation until the 1940s.
History
William Lane
(1843-1922) First Anglo-American born in Hunt County, then in Republic of Texas. Birthplace: on South Sulphur, near present Wolfe City. Son of John W. Lane, one of commissioners organizing county. During Civil War, served in Confederate army. Later moved to Vansickle community, 4 mi. SW of this spot, where he spent rest of his life. Married first Mary E. Hale. Had 2 children.