History
"Cherry Hill" Home of Thomas N. Waul
1813-1903 Native South Carolinian, Texas plantation owner and lawyer, member first Confederate Congress, Colonel commanding Waul's Texas Legion at Vicksburg, upon exchange in 1863 appointed Brigadier-General, led his brigade in battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill in Louisiana, and Battle of Jenkins' Ferry in Arkansas. Member Texas first Reconstruction convention.
Military
Audie Murphy
Most decorated soldier in World War II. Born 4.5 miles south, June 20, 1924, sixth of nine children of tenant farmers Emmett and Josie Killian Murphy. Living on various farms, Audie Murphy went to school through the 8th grade in Celeste -- considered the family's home town. He had to quit school to help support the family, acquiring marksmanship skills by hunting to provide food.
History
Benjamin D. Martin
(Feb. 21, 1823 - Mar. 28, 1891) Came to Texas from Virginia and settled in Hunt County in 1850s. In Confederate army, organized Texas Sharpshooters, called "Ben Martin's Company." First mayor of Greenville (present regime), 1873; helped draft Texas Constitution, 1875; state senator, 1876-1878; and Greenville mayor again, 1884. He rendered outstanding public service in a long career.
Military
Birthplace of Audie Murphy
Born on a farm near Kingston, Audie Murphy (1925-1971) joined the army on his 17th birthday in 1942, and later became the most decorated soldier in WWII. He was awarded 24 citations for bravery in action, including the Congressional Medal of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross, the Belgian Croix de Guerre with Palm and the French Legion of Honor Chevalier.
History
Birthplace of Mack Harrell
Born here on October 8, 1909, Mack Harrell received early training as a violinist. He later studied the instrument at Oklahoma City University, where he changed direction to pursue his baritone singing talent. After attending the Juilliard School of Music, he began a professional opera career and performed with the Metropolitan Opera.
History
Birthplace of Maj. Gen. Claire L. Chennault
(1890-1958) Organizer-commander of the famous "Flying Tigers" of the China-Burma-India theater in World War II. An outstanding air strategist, Chennault had retired from a pioneer flying career when, in 1937, he was asked by Gen. Chaing Kai-Shek to help China develop an air force to combat threatening raids by Japan. Four years later, with World War II spreading, he received permission from the U.
History
Blanton School
In 1912, African American educator Booker T. Washington partnered with Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears, Roebuck & Company, to build schools for African American children in poor rural communities across the south. Rosenwald matched funds raised by the African American community and school district of Wolfe City to build Blanton School in 1923.
Architecture
Bourland-Stevens-Samuell House
Built in 1883 by Virginia B. Stevens, daughter of Col. James Bourland, on land deeded him by M. H. Wright, joining site Wright donated for Greenville. Bourland gave land to daughter in 1854. Part of her earlier house was incorporated into this southern colonial structure. Mrs. Stevens gave home to daughter, Berta V. Samuell, who sold to C. A. Leddy in 1912.
History
Bruce B. Williams American Legion Post No. 1
The first American Legion Post in Texas was established at Commerce in 1919, the same year the veterans organization was begun nationally. Inspired by the funeral of Private Albert A. Barrow, who had served in World War I, Dr. W. B. DeJernett directed formation of a local veterans group. The first meeting was held in a building at Washington and Alamo streets (2 blks. W).
History
Caddo Indians in Hunt County
Four hundred years ago, the valleys and tributaries of the Ouachita, Red, Sabine and Neches rivers in what is today northeast Texas, northwest Louisiana, southwest Arkansas, and southeast Oklahoma were home to ancestors of the people known today as the Caddo.
Architecture
Commerce Post Office
The U. S. Treasury Department began construction of this building in July 1917, during the country's involvement in World War I. Completed in August 1918 after a number of construction delays, it served as the city's main post office facility until 1971. Deeded to the city the following year, it reopened as a public library in 1973.
History
East Texas State University
Founded 1889 as the Mayo School, in Cooper (16 mi. NE). Reopened with about 35 students in a brick store on the public square here in Commerce in 1894, still under private ownership of William Leonidas Mayo (1861-1917), a gifted teacher from Kentucky. School was underwritten by public-spirited local citizens.
History
First Presbyterian Church of Commerce
In November 1888 seventeen charter members joined with the Rev. J. C. Grow (1841-1903) to organize the First Presbyterian Church of Commerce. The congregation met in the town's Union Church until their own wooden frame sanctuary was completed in 1893. The Rev. Elijah B. Fincher became the church's first full-time resident pastor in 1897.
Civic & Local
Fourth-Sunday Singing
(Held on fourth Sunday of each month) A monthly music "convention" founded in 1885 or 1890 by this church, at old location (1/2 mile east.) Began when G. J. Oslin of Arkansas held a 20-day music school here. Singers came from wide area; a tuning fork was used to give pitch until instruments were obtained. The present officers are J. G. Murphy, president, and Mrs. Ola Speight, secretary.
Architecture
Gen. Hal C. Horton Home
First two-story brick house in Greenville. Erected in 1885-1887 in typical Victorian style. Built by the Will N. Harrisons, prominent pioneers. Contractor H. C. "Jack" Horton (father of Gen. Horton) made the brick at "Puddin' Hill." That land, settled 1846 by Horton family, is now owned by Hal C. Horton, Colonel in U. S. Army and General in National Guard. He and Mrs.
History
Grace Presbyterian Church
According to local oral tradition this congregation was organized in 1863 as the Cumberland Presbyterian Church by the Rev. John Nicholson, making it the oldest Presbyterian church in Greenville. The first church structure, built on Washington Street, was relocated to the corner of Wesley and Henry Streets in 1902. The congregation was renamed Grace Presbyterian Church in 1908.
History
Graham Point Cemetery
Named for Daniel Boone Graham and his family who settled in this area in the mid-1800s, this cemetery, established on Graham's land, served the Graham Point and Union Valley communities for more than 100 years. One of the earliest graves was that of Resina Graham in 1860. Many early graves were marked with bois d'arc posts that either burned or were removed.
History
Greenville
In 1846, the Texas legislature created Hunt County and specified that Greenville would be the name of the county seat, honoring Texas War for Independence veteran Thomas J. Green. Voters ultimately selected this location, on land donated by Tennessee surveyor McQuinney Howell Wright, for the new community of Greenville.
History
Greenville "Herald"
Established April 1869 by J. C. Bayne. Is oldest business institution in county. E. W. Harris, later owner, started daily, 1890. W. C. Poole family owned it 1914-1956, when Harte-Hanks chain purchased and merged it with "Banner." Matt Sheley is now "Herald Banner" publisher. (1969)
History
Greenville Building and Loan Association
This financial institution was chartered by the state of Texas on December 17, 1886, as the Greenville Building and Loan Association. The formation of the association came as a second railroad line was constructed to Greenville, signaling the future of Hunt County Seat as an important center for trade and commerce. The original directors were Thomas Jefferson Gee, I. Popper, Ira D. Wyse, T. E.
History
Greenville Cotton Compress
Once world's largest inland press. Set record for most bales pressed in 10-hour day (Sept. 30, 1912), when 2,073 bales were hand-trucked, pressed, and loaded in rail cars at rate of 3 a minute. Before invention of lifts and tractors all labor was done by skilled Negro workers, each man pushing a 500-pound bale and truck at a dead run, moving to relentless pace of work chants. W. B.
History
Greenville's Electric Light Plant
First municipally owned electric plant in Texas. Opened Mar. 4, 1891, on Town Branch. Steam engine, operating only at night, ran 2 dynamos for 40 street arc and 1000 home lights. Daytime use began 1909. Diesel installed 1933. Now has 8 diesels plus steam engine.
History
Harrell Campground
One of first religious sites in Hunt County. Influential for 50 years. Cabins and brush arbor built in 1850s by early settler Richard Harrell (1813-1895). Methodist gospel services drew people here from many counties, in summers while crops grew and work was slack. With milch cows, cook stoves, bedding, wash tubs, water barrels, families forded Sabine River to camp for weeks.
Nature
Headwaters of the Sabine River
A half mile to the west rises the Sabine River, lower channel of which separated New World empires of France and Spain and in 1836 became Republic of Texas - United States border. Fork here is called Cow Leach, for Indian chief who lived in the area.
History
Historic Site of Wolfe's Mill
Grist (corn) mill built about 1873 by pioneers Lemuel P. Wolfe and Abbey Wilson. Powered by oxen, treading inclined wheel. Area's first post office was located in millhouse, which was center for the settlement called "Wolfe's Mill," incorporated in 1886 as "Wolfe City."