History
John P. Cox
Sheriff of Hill County for 16 years. The son of San Jacinto hero, Euclid M. Cox. Joined Parsons Brigade of the Confederate Army in 1861, then for 25 years after the Civil War was commander of Hillsboro's Confederate Camp. A Methodist and a Mason, this fearless and firm sheriff made every effort to bring offenders to justice and was particularly interested in the reformation of young law breakers.
Transport
Katy Depot
This depot was built to serve the Missouri-Kansas-Texas (Katy) Rail Line, which reached Hillsboro in 1881. Completed in 1902, the station features elements of the Eastlake, Victorian, and Prairie styles. Early MKT trains carried materials for the growing town and brought early residents and such notables as presidents Woodrow Wilson, William Taft, Calvin Coolidge, and Harry Truman.
History
Lackawanna Ranch
Dr. John S. Scofield (1826-1901) chose the Indian name "Lackawanna" for the 2500 acre tract of land he bought here in 1858. After moving with his family from Kentucky, he served Hill County as a doctor and county judge. Later he was a director and vice-president of Sturgis National Bank. Dr. Scofield introduced shorthorn cattle to this area.
Architecture
Lumpkin House
In era of Hillsboro's growth after Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad entered (1881) county, contractor John Self Robinson built (1883) this residence for R. S. Lumpkin (1837-1921) and wife Mary (Kelly). House style reflects success of Lumpkin, city's first maker of saddles and harness. He was a Confederate veteran, a horse fancier, and a volunteer fireman.
Architecture
McDaniel Family Home
Late Victorian architecture. One of earliest fine houses in Hubbard, founded when the Cotton Belt railroad extended its line from Tyler to Waco in 1881. Structure is of walnut and pine. Ornamentation includes array of banisters on porches and stairs. Decorative columns and gables, tinted window glass. Built 1882 by Joe B.
Architecture
McKinnon - Anderson House
This Victorian style house was erected in 1896 by A. P. McKinnon (b. 1849), prominent local lawyer. A native of Georgia, he moved to Hillsboro in 1873 and built up a large practice. He was highly regarded for his strict ethics; served as county attorney 1878-79. The house was sold in 1903 to Samuel Houston Anderson (1863-1939), a local banker, who lived here for 35 years.
History
Nathaniel Addison
A soldier in the Texas Army in 1836, born in Louisiana, February 20, 1811, died May 28, 1900. His wife Margaret Ann Addison born in Missouri, February 24, 1815, died July 26, 1878.
History
Old Brandon Mill
One of earliest grist mills in Hill County. Built (1868) by Dr. Jas. T. Harrington, who also founded town of Brandon. Corn meal, basic to settlers' diet, was ground here. Dr. Harrington built a dam on White Rock Creek near here as a water source for power in the millhouse. His grist mill served a wide area for nearly 50 years. A grist mill was a primary need in every early community.
History
Old Carr Ranch
In 1854 area pioneer D. C. Carr settled this ranch, which covered land in both Hill and McLennan counties. D. C. Carr and his brother J. C. had come to Texas in 1840 and were instrumental in the early growth of the nearby towns of Abbott and West. A log cabin built on the ranch served as a store, postal station, and the office of the stagecoach line that serviced the area until 1881.
Architecture
Old G. D. Tarlton House
Victorian style. Built in 1895 by noted attorney Greene Duke Tarlton (1852-1931), from Louisiana. House was one of finest in town, with hand-carved mantels, stained glass windows, "speaking tube" between kitchen and third floor bedroom, and a dumbwaiter. Cistern on back porch supplied cool water all year round. Outbuildings included stable and coach house.
History
Peabody School
In 1885, a bond was issued for the construction of an African American School, which was built soon afterwards. The school, named for George Peabody, a banker who distributed funds to the southern states following the Civil War, educated students in the African-American neighborhood in Hillsboro known as Freetown.
Architecture
Pioneer Bank Building
One of the oldest bank buildings in Hill County. Built in 1887 by Farmers National Bank. Constructed of sun-dried brick, replaced by kiln-dried brick in 1912. Purchased by Colonial Trust Company in 1931; Greek revival front with columns added. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966
History
Prairie Valley Community
In former Waco Indian region. First land grants were to Elisha Dennis, Manuel Madrigal, and Dr. Levi Jones, physician to Stephen F. Austin, the Father of Texas. First settlers (1850s) included Jesse Hayes, P. P. Whitehead, E. P. Wade. In 1857 Hill County's First Church of Christ congregation was organized here.
History
Richland Cemetery
Jesse S. and Mary Ann Thomas brought their family to Texas from Georgia in 1858, settling first in Rusk and Smith counties. They relocated to this area in 1873 and purchased land along Richland Creek. In 1883 they deeded three acres of land for a community cemetery. The oldest documented grave here is that of Mary E. McCleskey (1826-1883).
Architecture
Rigsby Home
Built 1896 by Lee Onstott. Example of Victorian style. Has ornamental gables, tile hearths, ornate glass. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
History
Salem Cemetery
The first interment here was in 1870, but that grave was later moved. Oldest graves now are those of twin infants E. and P. J. Sheet, who died Feb. 9, 1871, and Synthia Green, who died August 9, 1871. R. M. and W. J. Graham and F. M. Reed gave the land to the Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1876 as a site for a church, school, and cemetery.
Architecture
Sims-Womack House
The original section of this house, which consisted of two rooms and a detached kitchen, was built prior to 1870. Later additions were made during the ownership of Dr. William Thomas Sims (1874-1928), who purchased the property in 1906. A prominent early dentist in Hillsboro, Dr. Sims was also a leader in civic activities and in the Methodist church.
History
Site of Arnotville School
Arnotville School was named after Albert M. Arnot on whose land the first schoolhouse was built sometime between 1874 and 1879. The building was used for educational and church activities by the surrounding rural community until 1915.
History
Site of Early Cattle Trail
Often called Chisholm Trail, since it connected with that famous route lying to the north. At Kimball Crossing (1.3 mi. SW) this trail entered Hill County. Drovers rested and reshod horses at Towash and Fort Graham, and then forded the Nolan River into Johnson County. (1967)
History
Site of Fort Smith
One of the chain of fortifications extending from the Colorado to Red River. Established in about 1846 as a protection against Indians. Named for Major Thomas I. Smith. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of Old Lexington Village
(1 mile South) Founded about 1851 on Jack's Branch. Was Hill County's first settlement and only polling place when county organized on May 14, 1853. For 4 months two log homes functioned as a courthouse until a special election put the county seat at Hillsboro. Supplemental plate: Marker originally located 4 miles west on SH 22 at Jack's Branch.
History
Site of Switzer College
Founded 1902 by David and Rebecca Switzer as Woman's College and Conservatory of Music. Offered liberal arts, sciences, music. Had average of 125 students. Social activities included literary societies, lyceum courses, receptions. Moved to Dallas, 1912. Plant was sold, dismantled in 1917. (1966)
History
Southwestern Presbyterian Home and School for Orphans
Orphanage originated in Dallas when First Presbyterian Church women arranged care for four children of a deceased member. Church then decided to found a statewide orphanage, for which D. S. Files family gave this land. Home opened in 1906 with Rev. M. D. McLean as first president.
History
Spivey Crossing
Spivey Crossing is a farming community located along the Brazos River Valley. Established as early as 1854, Spivey Crossing was an old wagon trail crossing named for Temple Spivey, the first known settler of the Smith Bend Community of Bosque County. Spivey was a wealthy planter who migrated to Cherokee County in 1849.
History
St. Mary's Episcopal Church
St. Mary's Mission was founded in the 1870s. On July 30, 1886, Bishop Alexander C. Garrett laid the cornerstone for the first church building, which was destroyed by a tornado in 1894. This building was completed in 1911, and St. Mary's became a parish in 1914.