History
The Savage Schools
Three schools in this area were referred to as Savage School. The first, built on land donated by George W. Savage in 1885, was a one-room facility where classes were scheduled around students' farm work. The second, built in the Walling community, closed in 1920 after its students began attending class at the original Savage School, which had moved into larger quarters at this site.
History
Towash
Named for Hainai Indian chief. One of first Hill County settlements. Grist mill and carding machine built, 1850, by S. C. Dyer established Towash as a trade center. By 1879 had 15 business enterprises. Declined after railroad bypass. Ruins inundated by Lake Whitney.
History
Town of Aquilla
Named for Aquilla (from the Spanish word for "Eagle") Creek. The townsite was surveyed, 1879, when the Texas Central Railroad was built through Hill County. As businessmen and citizens moved here, Aquilla grew to be a main shipping point. At one time, it had 13 retail stores, 3 hotels, a health spa, 4 churches, a school and other businesses.
History
Town of Penelope
Founded by International and Great Northern Railroad in 1902. Named for child of official. Settled by Anglos and Czechs from Zee Vee, older town (1/2 mile south) founded in 1893. New town prospered; incorporated, 1913. Good well water was found in 1959. Town improvement program began, 1968.
History
Whitney
Whitney, the first railroad town in Hill County, was established in 1879 on the route of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad and was named for railroad investor Charles A. Whitney. Lots in the new town were sold at a "Grand Picnic" on November 25, 1879. An eager crowd bid on the lots which sold at prices ranging between $100 and $750.
History
Whitney Memorial Park
The construction of Whitney Dam caused the creation of this cemetery in 1950 for the reinterment of 1260 graves from six historic cemeteries in Hill and Bosque counties. Before Lake Whitney inundated several pioneer cemeteries, all of the gravesites and monuments were moved here and placed on nearly 24 acres purchased for the Brazos Valley graves.
History
Whitney Messenger
This newspaper began publication in 1883, four years after the railroad town of Whitney was founded. Established by H. P. and J. O. Jones, the "Messenger" was purchased by J. T. and Dan S. Mayes in 1890. Dan Mayes, who gained full ownership of the paper in 1893, had started in the business in 1888 as an apprentice under H. P. Jones.