History
Gathings College
Established about 1860 by the founder of Covington, Col. James Gathings, and his brother Philip. Over 200 students enrolled. A military department prepared young men for duty in Civil War. Many of the 25 colleges in Confederate Texas closed, due to shortage of teachers and books. But college here stayed open. Col.
History
Gebhardt Bakery
In 1901 German native Charles Gebhardt (1874-1920) established Hillsboro's first bakery. He moved his business to this building after it was completed in 1905, using the second floor as living quarters. The brick commercial structure exhibits influences of the Romanesque and Italianate styles and features arched second-story windows, decorative brickwork in the cornice, and corner turrets.
Architecture
George L. and Roxie Brooks Porter Home
In 1881, Tennessee native George L. Porter (1854-1928) wed Roxie Brooks (1863-1927), daughter of early Hill County official Cincinattus Ney Brooks. George was a merchant in nearby Peoria (6 mi. W) and later served as an officer in Sturgis National and Citizens National banks in Hillsboro. The Porters were community leaders and active members of Hillsboro's First Baptist Church.
History
German Settlers in Hill County
Germans first came to Texas in 1821, immigrated by the hundreds in the 1840s, and in the 1880s began to move into Hill County. Here land was made available by such earlier settlers as G. W. McNeese, the Savage family, A. D. Walling, the Whites, the Worleys. First to arrive (1882) were Fritz Lentz and Alex Radke.
History
Gus Bailey
Leader, Hood's Texas Brigade Band. His wife Mollie smuggled notes and quinine past enemy in her hair. Baileys' postwar shows still flew Confederate flag. 1869 and afterwards, Gus and Mollie and nine children headquartered circus in Blum. Owned show lots in 100 towns of Texas. Ex-Confederates saw their circus free.
History
Hammel's Branch
In 1876 a family of German descent, the John Henry Himmels, settled in this area of Hill County. Seven years later, Miss Emma B. Himmel became the first teacher of the Himmel Branch School. The school was the beginning of a town that, through a misspelling, came to be called Hammel's Branch.
Architecture
Hill County Courthouse
The fourth courthouse for Hill County (organized in 1853) and the third one located in Hillsboro, this impressive landmark replaced a brick court building erected in 1874. Contractors Lovell, Miller and Hood of Brownsville built this rusticated limestone structure in 1890. Waco architect W. C. Dodson, who designed a number of public buildings, planned the modified French Second Empire styling.
History
Hill County Jail
Constructed in 1893, this building serves as the third jail for Hill County. It was designed by W. C. Dodson of Waco, architect of the Hill County Courthouse, and built by the Brown County firm of Lovell and Wood. The brick and limestone structure reflects influences of the Victorian and medieval revival styles. Interior space includes living quarters in the front for the sheriff and jailer.
History
Hill County, C.S.A.
Civil War supply center. Sent into service an infantry and 3 cavalry companies. Flour, shoes, saddles, machinery were made. The county commissioners court equipped and clothed troops. Also furnished medicine, cotton, wool, meat, corn and salt to the families of soldiers.
History
Hillsboro Junior College
One of first public junior colleges in Texas. Established 1923, as a part of Hillsboro public school system. Peak attendance was 410 students during 1939-40. School closed Aug. 31, 1950, after voters defeated maintenance tax proposal twice. Reopened 1962. (1967)
Architecture
Hillsboro Post Office Building
This renaissance revival building was constructed as the fifth location for the Hillsboro Post Office. Work was begun in 1912 and completed three years later under the direction of Architect James Knox Taylor. The building's design features a tiled roof, an ornate arched entrance arcade and elaborate detailing of terra cotta and stone.
History
Historic Bank Site
The first bank in Hubbard was a small private operation started soon after the town was founded in 1881. In 1895 two banks were opened -- Rod Oliver and H. B. Allen's private firm and Joe McDaniel's First National Bank. To house their enterprise, Oliver and Allen built a 2-story Victorian stone building across the street from this site.
History
Hometown of Tris Speaker
(1888 - 1958) A legend in his own time, Tris Speaker was born, educated and buried here. Known as the Grey Eagle, he was the first Texan named to National Baseball Hall of Fame. First man elevated to Texas Sports Hall of Fame. Was on Boston's 1912 and 1915 World Series winning teams. Managed Cleveland Indians in their first pennant win, 1920. At 18 began professional play at $50 a month.
History
Hot Mineral Water Well
A well drilled near this site in 1894 produced hot mineral water at a depth of 3,100 feet. Hot mineral baths were popular then for treatment of various diseases, and Marlin and Mineral Wells were among Texas towns with successful bath houses. In 1907, at the Hubbard well site, J. M.
History
Hubbard
Founded 1881, as a shipping center and supply point on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway. Named for Richard B. Hubbard (1832-1901), colonel in the 22nd Texas Infantry during the Civil War; Texas Governor 1876-1879; United States Minister to Japan 1885-1889. Banking and market town. Has mineral waters.
History
Hubbard City News
S. H. Sayer began publication of the "Hubbard City News" in 1881, the year the town was founded. The business later merged with S. R. Boyd's paper, the "Texas Pick and Pan" and the "Hubbard City Progress", a newspaper started in 1901 by brothers George and Jim Mecklin, former "City News" workers.
Architecture
Hubbard High School
Rich soil, access to railway transportation and the discovery of hot mineral springs attracted travelers, merchants and settlers to Hubbard and the town quickly grew. In 1911, the city council saw a need for a public school system and later that year, the voters elected to use taxes to create and maintain the schools.
History
Huron
The U.S. Army established Fort Graham in this area in 1849. Although the fort closed in 1853, the presence of the troops stationed there had prompted the development of settlements throughout this part of Hill County. By 1860, James Monroe and Martha Louisa (George) Neal moved to this immediate area with their family, and the Elm Mott community developed around their property.
Transport
Itasca Railroad Depot
The second railroad depot for Itasca, this Victorian structure was built in 1895, fourteen years after the town was founded along a line of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad. It was constructed large enough to accommodate both passenger and freight service. A landmark in the town and a symbol of the area's early economic growth, the depot served as a transportation center until the late 1960s.
History
Ivy-Atchison Pioneer Home
Presently enclosed by a frame house, the original log structure was built in the 1840's and was one of the first homes in the settlement that became Peoria. Portions of the original walls are visible behind glass panes. Has early Texas furnishings. Once home of Col. V.H. Ivy, his three sons: Tom, Henry (both pioneer doctors), and Preston.
History
J. T. Baker House
Built as a one-room cabin in the late 19th century, this vernacular dwelling was enlarged prior to 1900 by board-and-batten additions to the northwest and northeast. After John Thomas Baker acquired the house in 1900, he built a frame addition with porches to accommodate his large family.
History
J. W. Freeland
Served as city marshal of Hubbard 1895-1907, a period of local option prohibition and great lawlessness. Moved to Hillsboro and became superintendent of county poor farm. Elected sheriff 1910. After serving 2 terms, was elected mayor. Elected sheriff a second time in 1928; served until 1933. In 1933, he tracked down and arrested notorious Raymond Hamilton, member of the famous Clyde Barrow Gang.
Architecture
J. W. Park Home
John Wilkes Park (1869-1921) and his wife, Willie Clinkscales Park (1869-1935), built this classical revival style home about 1908. Its massive Corinthian columns and other milled details reflect a popular turn-of-the century embrace of classicism. A Mississippi native, Park served as mayor of Itasca from 1916 to 1920. After John's death, Willie Park rented parts of the house.
History
Jesse Walling
Star and Wreath Participated in the Battle of San Jacinto. Erected by the State of Texas 1957
History
John C. Walling
Star and Wreath Served in the Texas Army, 1836. Erected by the State of Texas 1957