Nature
Moore Log House
In 1931-32 Edith L. Moore and her husband built this house of pine logs they cut from their land. The stone fireplace and chimney were built of sandstone curbstones salvaged from downtown Houston. Dairy farming and logging provided their livelihood. To safeguard this homesite along Rummel Creek as a nature sanctuary, she willed the log house and 17.5 acres to the Houston Audubon Society in 1975.
History
Morgan's Point Cemetery
One of the oldest cemeteries in continuous use in Harris County, this cemetery was founded by Colonel James Morgan, Texas revolutionary soldier. Located on land bought by Morgan in 1834, it was part of a family estate called "The Orange Grove." The earliest marked grave here is that of James Morgan's niece, Sarah P. Morgan Patrick, who died of smallpox on July 13, 1838.
History
Mt. Carmel Missionary Baptist Church
Mt. Carmel Missionary Baptist Church has served as a vital spiritual and community institution in the Fourth Ward since the congregation's organization in 1915. The church has always met in the historic Freedmen's Town District, founded by former slaves after emancipation.
History
Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church
Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church was one of three African American churches founded in Houston in 1866, the year after the end of the Civil War and the emancipation of enslaved Texans. The congregation was organized by the Rev. Henry Stewart, and first met in a tent on Commerce Street.
Architecture
Myer-Hall House
Noted architectural firm Sanguinet and Staats designed this 1910 house for prominent Houston attorney and civic leader, Sterling Myer, and his wife Alice (Bentley). In the 1920s, engineer and businessman James Donald Hall and his wife, Virginia (Dorrance), purchased the home; they lived here forty years.
History
Myers-Spalti Manufacturing Plant
Myers-Spalti Manufacturing Plant The City of Houston developed rapidly in the 19th century due in large part to its capacity for shipping and transportation. This was made possible by waterways, such as Buffalo Bayou, and railroads, five of which radiated from the city in 1861. Houston's industrial center, the warehouse district, grew up east of Main Street, along the banks of Buffalo Bayou.
Military
Near Here on the Afternoon of April 21, Site of Battle of San Jacinto, 1836
Near here on the afternoon of April 21, 1836, the army of the Republic of Texas, commanded by General Sam Houston was drawn up to attack an invading Mexican army commanded by General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna.
History
Near Home Site of John Peter Sjolander
(1851-1939) A young Swede who came to America in 1871 to earn a living had, before he died, become famous as "The Sage of Cedar Bayou," folk poet for a generation of Texans. Educated by his mother, Sjolander learned Swedish, German, and English by speaking a day of each in turn. His favorite poet was Robert Burns, whom he adopted as a model.
History
Near Site of Isaac Batterson Home
Famed for its part in winning the War for Texas Independence, the flooring of this house was, on April 19, 1836, appropriated by General Sam Houston to build rafts to ferry his army across rain-swollen Buffalo Bayou. Although 248 soldiers, most of whom were ill, remained at the Batterson place, Houston's army was victorious in the Battle of San Jacinto two days later.
History
Ned A. & Linda S. Eppes House
Erected in 1926 in the new Jandor Gardens planned neighborhood for concrete manufacturer Ned. A. Eppes (1883-1929) and his family on land purchased by Linda S. Eppes, this house was among the earliest in Houston constructed of concrete building materials.
History
New Washington
Located at the junction of Buffalo Bayou and San Jacinto Bay, the townsite of New Washington was settled by Col. James Morgan (1786-1866), who bought 1600 acres of land in the area in 1835. A native of Philadelphia, Morgan had come to Texas in 1830 and served at various times and places as merchant, civic leader, and land agent.
History
Nichols-Rice-Cherry House
Greek revival house built 1850 by Gen. Ebenezer Nichols at Congress and San Jacinto streets, sold to Wm. M. Rice, a philanthropist, 1856. Bought by Mrs. E. R. Cherry, 1897, with $25 bid on front door; moved by her to 806 Fargo. Later moved here and restored. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 Incise in base: Restored 1959 by Harris County Heritage Society
Architecture
Old Dyer House, 1890
Victorian home, of heart pine and cypress, built with square nails. Erected in Richmond, texas. J. t. Dyer, builder, had crew desert him during murders in Jaybird-Woodpecker feud, a war for political rights. Moved to present site, 1963. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Old Harrisburg
Early Texas port and trading post. Site of state's first steam saw, grist mills and railroad terminal. Town founded, 1826, by John R. Harris, who was first settler in 1823. Became shipping center for early colonies, established when Texas was part of Mexico, with boats carrying cargo to and from Texas ports and points in the United States and Mexico.
History
Old Market Square
Platted 1836 by surveyors Gail Borden, Jr., and Moses Lapham as "Congress Square." It was intention of city fathers Augustus C. and John K. Allen to have permanent Capitol of Republic of Texas located here. However, this was never realized and almost immediately it became center of commerce for the flourishing city.
History
One Mile Northeast to Site of Lynch's Ferry
A pioneer ferry of Texas under Mexico and the Republic. Established at the confluence of Buffalo Bayou and the San Jacinto River, 1822, by Nathaniel Lynch, one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colonists. Usual charges at ferries like this were man and horse, 25 cents; cattle, 4 cents a head. But rates could be raised for risky high-water service.
History
Original site of the Houston Coca-Cola Bottling Company
Original site of the Houston Coca-Cola Bottling Company The Houston Coca-Cola Bottling Company, one of the first companies in the nation granted franchise rights for the distribution of Coca-Cola in bottles, opened its doors in a brick building on this site in 1902. J.T. Lupton of Chattanooga, Tennessee, was the primary owner.
History
Origins of Freedman's Town
Located in Houston's Fourth Ward, the original Freedman's Town settlement was founded soon after the emancipation of enslaved blacks on June 19, 1865, at the end of the Civil War in Texas. Positioned west of downtown and directly south of Buffalo Bayou, the community gradually expanded to the south and west during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
History
Pasadena Independent School District
Several Pasadena families met in the home of banker Charles Munger in 1893 to discuss the creation of a school for their children. The group converted Munger's chicken coop into a small one-room schoolhouse. Seventeen-year-old Russel Munger became the first teacher. The community built a new structure the following year. The first school census in 1898 listed 27 school age children.
History
Perry Cemetery
Perry Cemetery The first marked burial at the Perry Cemetery is that of Charles B. Grant (d. 1878), son of physician James W. Grant who once owned land in the southern part of the T.K. Wheeler Survey. Dr. Grant and his wife, Mary, are also buried here. Thomas and Drucilla (Dowdell) Perry were early landowners here, and it is from them that the cemetery takes its name.
History
Peter Jefferson Duncan
Participated in the cpature of San Antonio in 1835 and served in the army in 1836. Born in New York in 1799; died in Harris County, Texas in 1870.
History
Pillot Building
The original building at this site, a cast iron front structure, was built between 1857 and 1869. Early tenants of the building, owned by French-born merchant and Houston civic leader Eugene Pillot (1820-1896), included attorneys, real estate brokers, and a dry goods merchant. Subsequently a hotel, a barbershop, restaurants, and bars occupied the building.
History
Pillot Cemetery
Pillot Cemetery The earliest known settler on Willow Creek was Frenchman Claude Nicholas Pillot (1793-1862), whose family immigrated to the United States in 1832 and to Texas in 1837. He and his wife, Jeanne, established a home and farm in the area, and soon other French settlers joined them. Church services and school classes were held in private homes until permanent structures could be built.
History
Pillot Family
Frenchman Claude Nicholas Pillot (1793-1862) came to this area with his family in 1837. He and his son Eugene (1820-1896) worked in the timber business and were active in the community, serving as officials in the short-lived Spring Creek County. The Willow settlement formed around the Pillot family and other French settlers.
History
Pillot House
Built 1868 by Eugene Pillot, at 1803 McKinney. Occupied for almost a century by his family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 Incise in base: Restored 1965 by Harris County Heritage Society