History
Pioneer Memorial Log House
Conceived by the San Jacinto Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas (SJCDRT), the Pioneer Memorial Log House was created to commemorate Texas' 1936 Centennial. Designed by the SJCDRT and a Houston architect to model an authentic pioneer cabin, the structure served as both a Chapter home and a hospitality house.
History
Pleasantville
After World War II, African Americans struggled to find housing in much of Houston. Restrictive covenants in some recorded plats specifically excluded African Americans, while in other neighborhoods discrimination was more subtle, yet no less real.
History
Prairie Grove Cemetery
This site recalls a historic African American church, school and cemetery in Alief. Only a few African Americans lived in the area in the nineteenth century, working as farm laborers or tenant farmers. More families came in the early twentieth century, including the David and Parthenia Outley family from Fort Bend by 1910. S.B.
Architecture
Pratt Truss Bridge
A pin connected truss bridge characteristic of the popular style that once dotted rural Texas, this bridge is the last one in Texas built by the Clinton Bridge and Iron Company of Iowa. Originally opened in 1891 on the Leon River in Coryell County in what later became Mother Neff State Park, the bridge was moved 6 miles in the late 1940s or early 1950s to County Road 322.
History
Prehistoric Indian Campsite
In this vicinity are the remains of a prehistoric Indian refuse pile, comprised mainly of clam shells. Archeologists call such sites "shell middens." They are the result of centuries of shellfish harvesting by early Indian groups. shells found at this site have been identified as belonging to the rangia cuneata (common rangia) clam, a species once found in abundant numbers in Galveston Bay.
History
Reagan Masonic Lodge No. 1037 A. F. & A. M.
Reagan Lodge, the first Masonic Lodge instituted in the Houston suburbs, marked the beginning of the second wave of Houston Masonic Lodges and accompanied a major surge in the growth of the city and the birth of its suburbs. The lodge was chartered in the municipality of Houston Heights on December 12, 1910; its first meeting was held on December 31, 1910.
History
Rice University
William Marsh Rice (1816-1900) came to Texas in 1838 and through extensive entrepreneurship became one of the state's wealthiest men. Rice envisioned a polytechnic school as his philanthropic legacy. The State of Texas chartered the William M. Rice Institute for the Advancement of Literature, Science and Art on May 19, 1891. Rice delayed the project by stipulating that it open after his death.
History
Ritson Morris and Elmwood Plantation
Virginia native Ritson Morris (1798-1849) came to Texas about 1827. He settled first in Nacogdoches, where he married Minerva Edwards in 1829. One year later, following the birth of their first child, the Morrises moved to this area, where Minerva's father, Amos Edwards, had settled in Stephen F. Austin's colony.
History
Robert Barr
San Jacinto veteran. Postmaster general of the Republic under Houston and Lamar. Born in Urbana, Ohio in 1802. Died in Houston, Texas at 9 a.m. October 11, 1839, of yellow fever. Buried under the auspices of the Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges and the Milam Guards.
Architecture
Robert E. Lee High School
After a population increase due to the discovery of oil in 1908, local residents realized the need for permanent school facilities and formed the Goose Creek Independent School District in 1919, encompassing the cities of Goose Creek, Pelly, and Baytown and the Wooster community. Prominent Houston architect Harry D. Payne designed a new school, which opened in fall 1928.
History
Rose Hill Methodist Church Building
In 1887 the congregation of Rose Hill Methodist Church made plans to build a new sanctuary to replace the original frame one built in 1876. Special offerings were taken, and this building was completed in 1888. The vernacular Gothic sanctuary served as the principal place of worship for the congregation until 1968. Features include arched windows and an arched transom over the front door.
History
Roy and Lillie Cullen Building
The Baylor University College of Medicine moved to Houston in 1943 from Dallas to launch the proposed Texas Medical Center. The building to house Baylor's medical school was named after Hugh Roy and Lillie Cullen who moved to Houston in 1911 and made their fortune in oil. The Cullen Foundation's first check was written in 1947 to fund the new medical building.
History
Rutherford B. H. Yates, Sr., House
Rutherford Birchard Hayes Yates (1878-1944), son of the Rev. John Henry "Jack" and Harriet Yates, grew up next door to this property (in a house later relocated to Sam Houston Park.) Yates followed in his father's footsteps as a civic and religious leader in Houston's Fourth Ward, originally known as Freedmen's Town, a spiritual, cultural and business district for African Americans in Houston…
History
Salem Lutheran Cemetery
This burial ground began as the Scherer Family Cemetery. The Scherers were among the early settlers of Rosehill, a rural community in northwest Harris County. The first German settlers began arriving by way of Galveston in 1846. Through the efforts of founding pastor Johann Heinrich Braschler and local residents Jacob and Henry Theis, C. W.
History
Salem Lutheran School
Founded by area German settlers, Salem Lutheran Church is one of the oldest Lutheran congregations in Texas. An associated school, first led by church pastors, was in operation by the 1850s. With coursework taught in both English and German until World War II, it remained a one-room schoolhouse until 1947.
History
Sam (Lightnin') Hopkins
African American blues singer and guitarist Sam Hopkins was born in Centerville, Leon County, Texas in 1912, the youngest of five children of Abe and Frances (Washington) Hopkins. Sam learned to play guitar from John Henry and Joel Hopkins, two of his older brothers, and began his musical career in Central Texas under the guidance of Texas blues pioneers Alger 'Texas' Alexander and Blind Lemon…
History
Sam Houston Park
Sam Houston Park began with Nathaniel Kelly Kellum's purchase of 13 acres on the south bank of Buffalo Bayou in 1844 and 1845. Here Kellum built a brick factory, a tannery and his residence. The property was later sold to Zerviah Noble, who held it until it was purchased by the City of Houston in 1899 to become the first public park so designated by the City of Houston.
History
Sampson Masonic Lodge No. 231 A. F. & A. M.
Henry Sampson (1823-1885) moved to Houston in 1842 from South Carolina and affiliated with the Holland Masonic Lodge in Houston. Along with other leadership roles, Sampson served both as the worshipful master of the Holland Lodge and grand master of the Grand Lodge of Texas.
History
Samuel McCarley Homesite
Texas Army Camp - April 15, 1836 Samuel McCarley (1775-1838), his wife Celia (1794-1873), and their ten children settled near here on Spring Creek in 1831. By 1836 the McCarley home was located on a well-traveled road linking Washington-on-the-Brazos (30 mi. NW) with Harrisburg (40 mi. SE). Their neighbor, Abraham Roberts, lived about three miles east at a fork in the road.
History
Samuel Paschall
Born in Tennessee in 1815. Private in Captain Amasa Turner's company at the Battle of San Jacinto. Served in the Army of Texas from February 13, 1836 to June 30, 1837. Died June 6, 1874. Wife, Bridget O'Reilly. Erected by the State of Texas 1957
History
San Felipe Cottage
Oldest surviving house in Houston; built 1837 on land of Mrs. Obedience Smith, an early settler. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
San Jacinto Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas
On November 9, 1891, eight Houston women organized the San Jacinto Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. Founding members were Mrs. Andrew Briscoe; Miss Belle Fenn; Mrs. John R. Fenn, who served as chapter president until 1896; Miss Annie Hume; Mrs. Anson Jones, widow of the last Republic president; Mrs. A. B. Looscan; Mrs. J. J. McKeever; and Mrs. Minnie Phelps Vasmer.
History
San Jacinto Community College District
SAN JACINTO COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT THE GREATER PASADENA AREA GREW RAPIDLY FROM INDUSTRIALIZATION DURING AND AFTER WORLD WAR II, WITH THE CITY'S POPULATION INCREASING FROM 3,436 IN 1940 TO 22,483 IN 1950 AND TO 58,737 IN 1960.
History
San Jacinto High School
South End Junior High School opened its doors in 1914 with 750 students in an impressive classical revival style structure built here in 1913. South End Junior High became a senior high school in 1923, and in 1926 its name was changed to San Jacinto High School. Houston Junior College, predecessor to the University of Huston, began offering night classes at San Jacinto High School in 1927.
History
Schlobohm Cemetery
This historic family burial ground marks the homestead of a veteran of the Texas revolution and early settler of HarrisCounty. Johann Schlobohm (1807- 1882) was born in the Hanover region of Germany, and was in New Orleans by March 15, 1936, when he enlisted in Zavalla Guards, 2nd Regiment Volunteer Infantry.