History
Kohrville
Early settlers came to this part of Harris County from distant lands. French-born Eugene Pillot, his son Nick and son-in-law J.C. Sellers operated the Pillot and Sellers Sawmill on Pillot Gully in the 1860s, when the area was known as Pillotville. By 1870, Paul Kohrmann had arrived from Baden, Germany. The following year, he was naturalized, and in 1872 he married Agnes Othila Tautenhahn.
History
Kohrville Community
Kohrville Community In the 1870s, former slaves from Alabama and Mississippi settled on Cypress Creek, near a store owned by German immigrants Paulin and Agnes Kohrmann. The Kohrville Community, centered on farming, ranching and lumber industries, offered schools for white and black students. When area schools consolidated, Kohrville became part of Klein I.S.D.
History
La Porte
Colorado-based land developers A. M. York, J. H. York, I. R. Holmes, and Tom Lee formed the La Porte Land and Town Company in 1890. They purchased over 1,000 acres of land in this area and began laying out town lots in the fall of 1891. Edward York later joined his two brothers and the other investors to organize the La Porte Investment Company.
History
Lambrecht's Artesian Well
An oil well drilled at this site in 1912 yielded not oil, but free-flowing artesian water. The following year, German native Nick Lambrecht (1855-1920) purchased the property. Lambrecht served as justice of the peace and mayor during Humble's oil boom days in the early 20th century and in 1904 had installed a water system to meet the needs of the many oil field workers who came to town.
History
League of United Latin American Citizens, Council 60
On February 17, 1929, representatives from three organizations met in Corpus Christi to merge and form the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC). The new group sought to unify statewide efforts to challenge racism and inequities toward Texas' Hispanic residents, while also promoting patriotism, education and equality.
History
Lee College
In 1934, during the Great Depression and after several years of planning, the residents of the Goose Creek Independent School District voted to establish Lee Junior College, stressing the importance of higher education opportunities for area residents. One hundred seventy-seven students registered during the fall 1934 semester, and paid less than $15 per semester in fees.
Architecture
Link-Lee House
Constructed in 1912 for businessman John Wiley Link, this building was designed by the firm of Sanguinet, Staats & Barnes and was the first home completed in the Montrose subdivision, which Link developed. Oilman Thomas P. Lee purchased it for his family in 1916 and in 1922 had Houston architect Alfred Finn make several alterations.
History
Lorenzo de Zavala
(1789-1836) Three miles east is homesite and grave of a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and first vice-president of the republic of texas-- an illustrious statesman of two nations. He was born in Mexico.
History
Louis Wiltz Kemp
(September 4, 1881 ' November 15, 1956) A native of Cameron, Texas, Lou Kemp had a long career as an asphalt salesman and executive of the Texas Company (Texaco), but his passionate avocation, starting in 1920, was historical research. During the extensive travel required by his work, Kemp investigated and documented the facts of early Texas history in great detail.
History
Lynch's Ferry
Established before 1824 by Nathaniel Lynch, one of Austin's first colonists on land granted August 19, 1824. Granted exclusive privilege to operate ferry at this point January 1, 1830, by Ayuntamiento of San Felipe. Now known as Lynchburg Ferry.
Transport
Lynchburg Town Ferry
The Lynchburg Town Ferry, founded in 1822 by Nathaniel Lynch, crosses the Houston Ship Channel downstream of the confluence of the San Jacinto River and Buffalo Bayou. In 1829, the authorities at San Felipe de Austin requested that Lynch move his ferry service, which had been running from Crystal Bay, upstream to a peninsula formed by a meander of the San Jacinto River.
History
M. D. Anderson
Tennessee native Monroe Dunaway (M. d.) Anderson (1873-1939) joined his brother Frank and William L. and Ben Clayton in an Oklahoma cotton merchandising business in 1904. Anderson served as chief financial officer for the business, known as Anderson, Clayton & Company.
History
Magnolia Brewery Building
Magnolia Brewery was part of the Houston Ice and Brewing Company, founded in the late 19th century by Hugh Hamilton. Some of the brewery's popular brands included Magnolia, Southern Select and Richelieu beers. This building, designed by H.C. Cooke and Co. in 1912, was part of a much larger complex of structures along Buffalo Bayou.
History
Magnolia Cemetery
On these grounds in 1884, Henrietta Steiner buried family members John P.W. and Arthur Steiner. A few days later, several members of the First German Methodist Church Of Houston established Magnolia Cemetery for the exclusive use of church members. The Magnolia Cemetery Company applied in 1892 for an amended charter, extending membership privileges to others.
History
Magnolia Park
Originally developed as a sprawling excursion park by John Thomas Brady in 1890, Magnolia Park earned its name from its abundance of magnolia trees planted in the area. Starting in 1909, the Magnolia Park Land Company redeveloped the park into two residential subdivisions, Magnolia Park (1909) and Central Park (1912), which were incorporated together in 1913 as the City of Magnolia Park.
History
Magnolia Park City Hall and Central Fire Station
The City of Magnolia Park was incorporated on July 1, 1913, on property first developed by John Thomas Brady in 1890 as a large excursion park. For the municipality's first ten years, city offices were located in various temporary facilities, all situated along Harrisburg Boulevard.
Military
Major Isaac N. Moreland
Born in Georgia. Came to Texas in 1834. Storming of Bexar, 1835. Commanded the artillery at San Jacinto. Made major, July 20, 1836. Law partner of David G. Burnet, 1837. died June 7, 1840 while Chief Justice of Harris County. buried under the auspices of the Masons and the Independent Military Companies of Houston.
History
Married Ladies Social, Art & Charity Club
In the early 20th century, many Black women became progressive leaders, investing themselves in social activities through clubs. On September 8, 1902, twelve ladies of Houston's elite Black society founded the Married Ladies Social, Art and Charity Club to improve the social welfare of its members and the community. The charter members included Nannie Murray, the club's first president; Mrs. E.A.
History
Matthew Burnett Homesite
Texas army camp - April 16, 1836. Matthew Burnett (1795-1842) and his wife, Sarah (Simmons) (1797-1852), came to Texas from Arkansas in 1831 and settled south of here on Cypress Creek. Their home was near the "Harrisburg Road" which stretched 15 miles northwest to a crossroads at the home of their closest neighbor, Abram Roberts, and, in the other direction, 25 miles southeast to Harrisburg.
History
Maurice Joseph Sullivan
(June 11, 1884 ' December 15, 1961) Maurice J. Sullivan, son of Maurice and Margaret (Fitzsimons) Sullivan, was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He attended Detroit College (1901-1903) and studied Structural and Civil Engineering at the University of Michigan (1904-1906). While working at engineering firms from 1909-1912, Sullivan taught himself architecture.
Architecture
Merchants and Manufacturers Building
This building was constructed to house the activities of Houston's merchants and manufacturers during the post-World War I economic boom. Its location provided access to water, rail, and truck transportation of goods. Completed in 1930, the M & M Building, as it came to be known, was noted for its structural and functional design. It prominently features cast concrete art deco detailing.
History
Mexican Cavalry, Battle of San Jacinto
The Mexican Cavalry was on the left wing, Infantry and Artillery in the center behind a fortification of boxes and baggage, while the extreme right was far extended.
Architecture
Minchen House
A pioneer in the oil and gas industry in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana, real estate investor Simon Minchen (1886-1958) and his wife, Mamie (Pesses) (1887-1986), purchased this lot in 1930 for $4,500. They paid noted Houston architect Joseph Finger $1,250 to design this house for their family, and contractor w. J. Goggan, known for his exceptional craftsmanship, completed it in 1931 for $25,000.
History
Mollie Bailey
A native of Alabama, Mollie Arline Kirkland was married to James Augustus (Gus) Bailey in 1858. The son of a circus owner, Gus Bailey formed the Bailey Family Troupe with Mollie, his brother Alfred, and Mollie's sister Fanny. They traveled throughout Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas with their show until the beginning of the Civil War.
History
Moonshine Hill
Early reports of natural gas seepages in this area were not uncommon in the late 19th century. James Slaughter noticed such natural occurences near the San Jacinto River in 1887. Several years later, with S. A. Hart, he set up a drilling operation in the area, but it proved unsuccessful. Charles Barrett, a former Huston merchant, also drilled wells here, but found the results limited.