History
Immanuel United Church of Christ of Spring
Immanuel's congregation was established in 1913 and chartered in 1916 under the German title Deutsche Evangelisch Lutherischen Immanuels Gemeinde Zu Spring. The founders' names reflected its German heritage ' Lemm, Goedecke, Strack, Holzworth, Klein, Kothmann, Benignus and Arp.
History
Independence Heights
Promoted by the Wright Land Company, the Independence Heights community began about 1908. Many black families purchased lots and built their own homes. A school was established in 1911. Businesses in Independence Heights included retail stores, restaurants, building contractors, lumberyards, a blacksmith shop, tailor, and barber shop.
History
Irvin Capers Lord
South Carolina native Irvin Capers Lord (1827-1914) came to Houston with his family in 1854. A machinist by trade, he was co-owner of Lord and Richardson's Eagle Iron Works. In 1858 he was elected alderman, representing the First Ward until 1863 when he was elected city marshall. Lord helped lead Houston through the trying times of the Civil War and Reconstruction.
History
Isaac L. Jaques
Came to Texas in October, 1835. Fought at San Jacinto in Captain Thomas H. McIntire's company. Died at Lynchburg, August 6, 1836.
Architecture
Isaiah P. Walker House
During the late 1920s and early 1930s, the city of Shoreacres became a weekend haven for residents of nearby Houston. Families built weekend homes, referred to as fish camps, where they could enjoy fishing and boating activities on Galveston Bay. Isaiah P.
Architecture
J. Robert Neal Estate Garden
Beginning in 1931, architect John F. Staub (1892-1981) designed and constructed a Chateau style house in River Oaks for James Robert Neal (1894-1939), coffee magnate and vice president of Houston's Second National Bank, and his wife, Marian Holt Seward Neal (1897-1957).
History
J. Vance Lewis
J. Vance Lewis was an attorney and community activist for the African-American community in Houston. Born enslaved circa 1863 in Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, Lewis attended Leland University in New Orleans before earning a teaching certificate from the Normal School in Orange, Texas. Lewis taught and later served as principal at Cripple Creek School in Angelina County,Texas.
History
James Collinsworth
Born in Tennessee, 1806. Drowned in Galveston, July 11, 1838, and his remains brought by boat up Buffalo Bayou to Houston. His remains interred in this cemetery under the auspices of Temple Lodge No. 4. First Masonic funeral ever held in Texas. Delegate to the Consultation held at San Felipe, 1835. Signer, from Brazoria municipality, of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Architecture
James Judson and Lena Carter Carroll House
Built in 1912, with 1924 alterations by architect Birdsall P. Briscoe, this was the home of James Judson Carroll (1876-1938), noted businessman and ornithologist, and Lena (Carter) 1879-1971) his wife, who was a member of a prominent lumber company family.
Architecture
James L. Autry House
MISSISSIPPI NATIVE JAMES L. AUTRY (1859-1920) MOVED TO CORSICANA IN 1876. THERE HE STUDIED LAW AND HELD CIVIC OFFICES AT THE TIME OF THE FIRST OIL DISCOVERIES IN TEXAS. HE WAS CHIEF COUNSEL FOR THE TEXAS CO. (LATER TEXACO) AND A PIONEER IN THE NEW FIELD OF PETROLEUM LAW. AUTRY COMMISSIONED SANGUINET AND STAATS TO DESIGN THIS HOME, WHICH WAS CONSTRUCTED IN 1912.
History
James S. and Alfred T. Lucas
James Sherwood Lucas (1836-1888) and his son Alfred T. Lucas (1863-1922) immigrated to the United States and became influential brick masons and contractors who helped develop the city of Houston. James Lucas was born in Nottingham, England, to registered brick layer Thomas Lucas and Ann Lucas.
Architecture
John & Bessie Parker House
John Wilson Parker (1861-1930) and Bessie Coelhite Smith (1865-1948) married in Taylor in 1881; the couple had two daughters. John was admitted to the bar in 1881 and appointed an alternate justice to the Supreme Court of Texas in 1899 and 1902. The family came to Houston in 1903, with John a partner in the law firm of Brown, Lane, Garwood and Parker.
History
John Cheevers
Came to Texas in 1829. Died in Houston in 1846. Participated in the Battle of San Jacinto as a member of Captain Thomas H. McIntire's company.
History
John Kirby Allen
Born in Canasareaugh, New York 1810. Came to Texas in 1832. Died in Houston August 18, 1838. John K. Allen was a member of the first Congress of the Republic (1836-1837) from Nacogdoches County. He and his brother, Augustus C. Allen, on August 25, 1836 purchased a league of land from Mrs. T. F. L.
Architecture
John M. Dorrance House
(1852-1935) An early Houston cotton broker and business and civic leader, had this home built for his family in 1914. Designed by the noted Fort Worth architectural firm of Sanguinet and Staats, the house is an outstanding example of Mediterranean architecture. Prominent features of the structure include its arched windows and door openings, tile roof, and stucco finish.
History
John Milroy House
In 1891 the Omaha and South Texas Land Company purchased the property which was later developed into the town of Houston Heights. John Milroy (1862-1918), an early investor of the company, managed the Heights office. An active civic leader, he served as alderman and mayor of the new community. In 1898 he moved his family to this house.
History
John R. Reid
Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, 1839. A member of the Congress of the Republic, 1840-1841. Died in Huston, December 25, 1841, and was buried under the auspices of Holland (Masonic) Lodge No. 1.
Military
John Richardson
Came to Texas, 1834. In Captain James Gillaspie's company at San Jacinto. Died in Houston, May 25, 1840.
History
John W. Moore
Opposed Bradburn at Anahuac 1832. Member of the Consultation at San Felipe in 1835. Signer of the Declaration of Independence, 1836. First sheriff of Harris County, 1837 to 1840. City alderman in Houston, 1840. Married to Eliza Belnap, February 2, 1839. Died in Houston, 1846.
Architecture
Jones-Hunt House
Noted Houston architect Alfred C. Finn designed this home for Sarah (Brashear) Jones, widow of state senator James W. Jones. Finn melded the oak woodwork of the Jones' 1893 home, including the windows, doors, wainscoting and grand staircase, into this post-WWI house.
Military
Joseph Ehlinger
Born in Alsace, France 1792; died in Houston, Texas 1845. Served in Captain William J. E. Heard's company at San Jacinto.
Architecture
Julia Ideson Building
Early efforts by Houston's Lyceum, local women's organizations and Andrew Carnegie's national foundation led to the 1904 Houston Lyceum and Carnegie Library Building. Julia Bedford Ideson, hired in 1903, was the city's first librarian. Under her direction, the library's collection and services expanded until, by 1920, the 1904 building was too small.
Architecture
K'Nesseth Israel Synagogue
In response to area population growth following the early 20th century Goose Creek oil field boom, twenty incorporating members formed the K'Nesseth Israel congregation in 1928 to serve the area's Jewish residents. They hired Houston architect Leonard Gabert to design this synagogue, which was completed in 1930.
History
Kellum-Noble House
Built 1847 by Nathaniel Kellum. Used as early school. Became part of first city park in 1899. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 Incise in base: Restored 1954 by Harris County Heritage Society
History
Kleb Family House
Constructed c. 1890s, the Kleb Family Home and its location in the wooded northwestern part of Harris County represent a time of dispersed rural settlement in the area. Edward Kleb, a descendant of German immigrants who arrived in Texas in 1846, built the house on property acquired from his father, Andrew.