Architecture
Hogg Building
Noted Houston business and civic leader Will C. Hogg (1875-1930) had this commercial structure built in 1921. Early tenants included the Armor Auto Company and the Great Southern Life Insurance Company. The art deco building, designed by the engineering firm of Barglebaugh and Whitson, features an exterior dominated by industrial windows.
History
Holcombe House
Businessman and developer Oscar Holcombe (1888-1968) and his wife Mary hired Houston architect L. W. Lindsay to design this home. Completed in 1925, it featured gardens designed by landscape architect Herbert L. Skogland.
History
Holland Lodge No. 1, A.F. & A.M. of Texas
Ancient Free & Accepted Masons of Texas. First Masonic Lodge in Texas. Organized in March 1835 at Brazoria. Set to work Dec. 27, 1835, under dispensation of Grand Lodge of Louisiana, for whose 1835-37 Grand Master, John Henry Holland, this lodge was named. Labors were interrupted in Feb. 1836, in Texas War for Independence, when lodge and records were destroyed by Mexican army during march of Gen.
History
Holy Cross Mission (Episcopal)
A religious force since 1865, when the Rev. J. M. Curtis and 24 Harrisburg communicants met in a mission called Nativity, changed to Holy Cross about 1875. Numbering from 12 to 50 as the local economy shifted, members-- especially the women-- spent years raising building funds. At last, in 1895, a red brick church with a steeple was erected, facing Erath Street.
History
Home of Mrs. Margaret McCormick
On this site on April 21, 1836, stood the home of Mrs. Margaret McCormick whose husband, Arthur McCormick, died here in 1825. Mrs. McCormick lost her life here in 1854 when the home was burned.
History
Homesite (Point Pleasant) of William Scott
A native of Virginia, William Scott (1784-1837) was a planter, merchant, and stockraiser in his native state and in Kentucky, where he relocated about 1806. He and his family moved briefly to Louisiana in the early 1820s before coming to Texas with Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colonists in 1824.
History
Houston Bar Association
Members of the legal profession began practicing in Houston in 1837, one year after Texas gained its independence from Mexico and became a Republic. The earliest evidence of organization among the city's attorneys dates to 1870, when the original Houston Bar Association was formed. Judge Peter W.
History
Houston Cemetery Company
The Houston Cemetery Company was one of several chartered and private associations promoted by Houston business leaders for the purpose of effecting civic, cultural and economic improvements following the Civil War.
History
Houston City, Republic of Texas
By vote of Congress, Nov. 30, 1836, chosen temporary capital for new Republic of Texas. At the time a small townsite at the head of Buffalo Bayou navigation. Into a "Houston City" of mud, tents, cabins on April 1, 1837, came President Sam Houston and his government. Finding its quarters unfinished, Congress postponed its opening session until May 1.
History
Houston Cotton Exchange and Board of Trade
Founded in 1874 to facilitate trade in the expanding cotton market. This Victorian renaissance revival edifice, designed by Eugene T. Heiner, was built in 1884-85 by contractors Max Kosse and James S. Lucas. The exchange room and galleries were situated on the second and third floors, and the first floor contained offices and the exclusive "Houston Club." The basement housed a plush saloon.
History
Houston Fire Station No. 7
Houston's oldest fire house, this building was designed by Olle J. Lorehn (c. 1864-1939) and was completed in January 1899. The two-story brick structure features rusticated stone details, a five-bay front with central arched entry flanked by two apparatus bay entries, and unique parapet details.
History
Houston Heights
Representatives of the American Loan and Trust Company of Omaha, Nebraska, came to Houston in 1890 to scout locations for land development. Under the leadership of O. M. Carter, D. D. Cooley, and others, company directors purchased 1,756 acres of land northwest of Houston.
History
Houston Heights City Hall and Fire Station
Houston Heights City Hall and Fire Station When the former city hall burned in 1912, Houston Heights mayor J. B. Marmion and the city council commissioned Houston architect A. C. Pigg to design a new building to house city offices and also serve as a fire station and small jail.
Civic & Local
Houston Heights Woman's Club
The Houston Heights Woman's Club has remained a pillar in the community since its founding in 1900 and even constructed its own club building in 1912, still in use. The club gave women the opportunity to make an impact in their community and move away from traditional women's roles.
History
Houston Infirmary
One of the most prominent hospital facilities established in Houston after the Civil War was the Houston Infirmary, founded in 1874 by two young physicians, Dr. David Finney Stuart and Dr. Joshua Larendon. These two former Confederate Army surgeons were soon joined in their practice by Dr. Thomas Joel Boyles.
Military
Houston Light Guard Armory
Designed by noted Houston architect Alfred C. Finn, the armory was constructed in 1925 to replace an 1892 building that had become obsolete. Finn detailed the building to suggest a Late Renaissance period Neo-Gothic English masonry, represented by the alternating bands of brick and stone and elaborate relief panels above the arched entrance.
History
Houston Public Library
Within 10 years of its founding in 1836, Houston was a bustling city. Throughout the 1840s, the city's professionals came together in debating societies to discuss a variety of topics. They created the Houston Circulating Library to provide reference materials for their debates. In 1854, they organized the Houston Lyceum.
History
Houston Yacht Club
The Houston Yacht Club was organized in 1897 by a group of prominent citizens. Members met in the Binz Building in downtown Houston and were led by the first Commodore, Dan E. Kennedy. After Kennedy's death in 1904, the boatmen reorganized as the Houston Yacht and Power Boat Club, receiving a charter from the State of Texas in 1905.
Architecture
Hugo Victor Neuhaus, Jr. House
A significant example of the International style of architecture, the 1950 Neuhaus House has a strong horizontal emphasis and expression of private and public space, as well as an integration of living space and landscape. Architect and Houston native Hugo Victor Neuhaus, Jr. (1915-1987) designed the home for himself.
History
Humble Cemetery
This cemetery is believed to be the town of Humble's oldest. The earliest documented burial is that of Joseph Dunman (1867-1879). Also believed to be buried here in an unmarked grave is Jane Elizabeth Humble, wife of the community's founder, Pleasant Humble. The first legal record of the cemetery appears in a deed transferring the cemetery property from Jonas Altmont to trustees in 1914.
History
Humble Lodge No. 979, A.F. & A.M.
Near the turn of the century, the town of Humble was home to many Masons who were members of lodges located in nearby towns. With the help of local Justice of the Peace F. K. Wise, Humble area Masons organized their own lodge in 1908. Humble State Bank president and future Texas Governor Ross Sterling (1875-1949) provided meeting facilities in the bank building which formerly stood at this site.
Industry & Science
Humble Oil & Refining Company
Ross S. Sterling entered the oil business in 1909, when he invested in the Humble oil file north of Houston. Two years later he formed the Humble Oil Company with five partners: Walter W. Fondren, Charles B. Goddard, William Stamps Farlish, Robert Lee Blaffer, and Harry Carothers Wiess. Sterling's brother, Frank, became a company director in 1914.
History
Humphrey and Sarah Merriman Jackson
Humphrey (1784-1833), Sarah Merriman Jackson (1796-1823), and their family came to Texas as members of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colony in 1823 and settled east of the San Jacinto River. Jackson's land grant opened up the San Jacinto District and expanded the perimeter of Austin's grant, providing an additional area for Anglo settlement.
History
Humphrey Jackson
(November 24, 1784 - January 18, 1833) Educated in law, Humphrey Jackson left his native Ireland in 1808, during a period of political conflict. He migrated to the United States and settled on a sugar plantation in Louisiana. While there he served in the 1815 Battle of New Orleans.
History
Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
In October 1911, the Oblates of Mary Immaculate established their Roman Catholic society's first parish in Harris County and named it Immaculate Conception. The site chosen was on Harrisburg Boulevard in the incorporated community of Magnolia Park, which was annexed by the city of Houston in 1926.