History
George Washington Carver High School
The first public school for African American children of this area was Goose Creek School for Coloreds. Founded in 1921 as a grade school, it served the children of the Baytown area, as well as those in La Porte, Cedar Bayou, and McNair. Classes were also held in Mt. Rose Baptist Church. The school's first principal, Anna B. Edwards, was paid $90 per month.
History
George Washington Carver High School
In 1915, Harris County Common School District #26 established White Oak (Colored) School to serve the Acres Homes Community. The Wright Land Company, which developed this historically African-American community earlier in the decade, deeded land at West Montgomery and Willow Streets for a new one-room school.
Architecture
Gilmer-Cage-Cohn House
The 1905 Gilmer-Cage-Cohn House is a stately, pillared, Classical Revival residence that reflects a respect for antiquity. It is a well-designed and early example of this style in Houston. Brian Brewster and Edna (Daffan) Gilmer were the first owners. B.B. Gilmer was secretary-treasurer of the Standard Milling Company when he bought this lot.
History
Glendale Cemetery
Burial place, Texas heroes and pioneers. Began as private plot of family of John R. Harris, founder of Harrisburg (now part of Houston). First burial, on July 23, 1839, was of Mrs. Harris' cousin, Judge John Birdsall, an ex-attorney general of texas. A cemetery developed without management or legal status. In 1897, local ladies formed Glen Dale Cemetery Company and kept grounds in order for years.
Architecture
Gov. John B. Connally, Jr. Home
Houston architect Ernest L. Shult designed this mid-century modern house for his own residence in 1959. The home, sited on a triangular lot in the River Oaks neighborhood, is representative of the contemporary style popular in the post-war years. The house has had alterations over the years including a two-story addition on the north side.
History
Gravesite of John Kirby Allen
(1810-1838) Co-founder of Houston) Houston in 1836 was a humid swamp overgrown with sweet gum trees and coffee bean weeds. In this spot, however, two brothers from New York recognized the future "commercial emporium of Texas." John Kirby Allen was born and lived in New York until moving to Texas in 1832 with his older brother Augustus Chapman Allen, a professor of mathematics.
History
Gray Lodge No. 329, A. F. & A. M.
Founded in 1870, this is Houston's second oldest Masonic Lodge. On May 11, 1870, twenty-two Master Masons, in response to the growth in Houston's population, signed a petition requesting a charter for a new lodge from the Grand Lodge of Texas. Gray Lodge No. 329 was constituted in the hall of Houston's first Masonic Lodge, Holland Lodge No. 1.
History
Greater Zion Missionary Baptist Church
Members of Greater Zion Missionary Baptist Church have served residents of Houston's Greater Third Ward since the late 1800s. Tradition holds that the Rev. Gilbert Green and several area residents organized the church, which first met under a brush arbor at this location. The Rev. Green was the first pastor of what was then known as Little Zion Missionary Baptist Church.
History
Gregory School
In 1865, as the reality of Emancipation spread across Texas, many formerly enslaved African Americans left plantations and other places of bondage in search of a better life. Some established 'Freedmen's Town' near Buffalo Bayou in Houston's Fourth Ward. The Freedmen's Bureau and the American Missionary Association worked with the Black community to establish schools in three early churches.
Architecture
Gribble-Hofheinz House
Constructed in 1896 as the summer home of prominent Houston businessman Risdon D. Gribble (1836-1907) and his wife Adelaide (8141-1926), this house was oriented toward the water to take advantage of bay breezes. Flamboyant Houston businessman and politician Roy M. Hofheinz (1912-1982) bought the house from the Gribbles' descendants in 1950.
History
Griffin Memorial House
Built about 1860 by Eugene Pillot, one of the sons of Claude Nicholas Pillot, early Harris County settler. Taught trade by his father, Eugene Pillot became an outstanding builder in Texas coastal area. Original site of this house (near Atascosita Trail route) was south of Willow Creek, where General Sam Houston often stopped as a guest. Owned by family of John B. Griffin from 1920 to 1965.
Architecture
Gulf Building
Prominent real estate developer, publisher, statesman and banker Jesse H. Jones opened the Gulf Building in 1929 with Gulf Oil, National Bank of Commerce, and Sakowitz Brothers as primary tenants. Alfred C. Finn designed the 430foot high Art Deco edifice with a six-story base topped by a tall tower that diminishes in size as it rises.
History
Gustav August Forsgard
Gustav (Gustaf, Gustave) August Samuelson (1832-1919) was one of 13 children born to Johannes Samuelson and Anna Petersdotter of Forserum, Sweden. At the age of 16, he emigrated from Sweden, arriving in Houston with a group of other Scandinavians on November 22, 1848.
History
Hall of Cedar Bayou Masonic Lodge No. 321, A. F. & A. M.
Built 1875-1876, largely by labor of members. Lumber, cut to order in Florida, arrived here by schooner in nick of time to escape havoc of 1875 hurricane. The 1883 Worshipful Master, J. H. Kipp, made and gave (1889) the carved and inlaid altar and some other appointments. Oldest Eastern Star chapter in Texas (Cedar Bayou Chapter No. 11, O. E. S.), organized in 1884, has always met in this hall.
History
Hamilton Shirts
Edward Joseph Hamilton arrived in Houston in 1883 at the age of 21 and promptly founded a menswear business, Hamilton & Scurry, which became Hamilton & Mason by 1886 and Hamilton Bros. by 1887. Originally offering "hats, caps, and gents furnishing goods," the business grew to include custom-made shirts, which remain the core of the company's business.
History
Harper House
Constructed in 1905 from mail-order house plans designed by Tennessee architect George Barber, this residence in the Westmoreland Historic District was first occupied by Benjamin and Bertie Harper and their two children. Ben Harper owned Union Iron Works, Inc., and was vice-president of the Harris County Bank and Trust Company.
History
Harris County
Inhabited during the 17th century by Karankawa and Orcoquiza Indians, and considered in 1756 by Spain for site of Presidio de San Agustin de Ahumada, this region was settled permanently in 1822 by the colonists of Stephen F. Austin. In 1824 John R.
History
Harris County Boys' School Archeological Site
In this vicinity lies evidence of a prehistoric Indian campsite and burial ground that takes its current name from the property on which it resided at the time of its discovery. The archeological site is classified as a shell midden site because of the presence of a midden, or refuse pile, of oyster and rangia clam shell.
Architecture
Harris County Courthouse of 1910
When brothers Augustus C. and John K. Allen founded Houston in 1836, they designated this site as the Courthouse Square. In 1837 Huston became the Harrisburg (later Harris) County Seat, and a two-story pine log courthouse was constructed here. The present structure, which was built in 1909-10, served as the fifth Harris County Courthouse at this location.
History
Harris County Department of Education
The Texas Declaration of Independence specifically noted the lack of a public education system as one compelling reason for establishing a separate republic. Later, as a result, Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar led the Congress in setting aside land in each county to support primary schools and colleges.
History
Harrisburg-Jackson Cemetery
The earliest origins of this cemetery are undocumented. African American burials likely began with development of the local cattle industry and area railroads during the 1840s and 1850s. By the 1870s an African American community was well established in Harrisburg. About that time, former slaves began to establish their own fraternal organizations.
History
Harrison Barrett
(ca. 1845-1917) Born into slavery, Harrison Barrett was the son of Simon and Eliza Barrett, who had come to Texas from Louisiana. In addition to Harrison, the couple had two other sons and two daughters. Following the emancipation of texas slaves in 1865, Harrison Barrett spent several years gathering his family together.
History
Henry Livingston Thompson
Commodore of the Texan navy. Died in Houston, Nov. 1, 1837. "The funeral of the late Commodore Thompson took place on the morning of Thursday last. His remains were followed to the grave by the largest and most respectable assemblage of citizens which has ever attended a similar occasion in this city. An oration was delivered at the grave by General Rusk." Texas Telegraph
History
Heritage Presbyterian Church
Originally constructed near the banks of Little Cypress Creek (11 mi. NW) in 1916, this chapel served the congregation of St. John Lutheran Church. Designed with Gothic detailing, it was built by German craftsmen. When the fellowship grew too large for the sanctuary, it was purchased by the members of Windwood Presbyterian Church and moved to Grant Road (8 mi. NE).
Architecture
Hidalgo Park Quiosco
This unique structure was commissioned by the Mexican American community of Magnolia Park under the leadership of local physician A.G. Gonzales. Built at a cost of $2,300, it was dedicated at the opening of Hidalgo Park on September 16, 1934, the anniversary of Mexico's independence from Spain. The City of Houston acquired the park property in 1926 when the City of Magnolia Park was annexed.