History
Henry Eustace McCulloch
In this lot lie Henry Eustace McCulloch; Texas Ranging Service 1839-42; Texas Ranger Captain, Mexican War, 1847-48; State Legislator, 1853-59; U.S. Marshal, 1859-61; Colonel, 1st Texas Regiment Mounted Rifles, C.S.A.; Brigadier General, C.S.A. District Commander, Texas Brigade Commander, Vicksburg Campaign. His wife, Jane Isabella Ashby McCulloch Erected by the State of Texas 1962
History
Henry Troell
(October 5, 1838 - December 19, 1921) A native of Wichmannshausen, Germany, Henry Troell moved to this area sometime prior to 1860. He served in the Confederate Army and in 1872 married area native Johanna Woehler. A successful freighting business enabled him to invest in several local properties and enterprises, including an innovative dam/grist mill operation at this site.
History
Hugo and Georgia Gibson House
In 1929, Dr. Hugo Emanuel Gibson (1894-1963) and Georgia Moe (1893-1973) joined the staff of Texas Lutheran College, which relocated to Seguin from Brenham. Hugo, who received degrees from Augustana College (Illinois), the University of Texas at Austin and Augustana Theological Seminary, came to Texas Lutheran College following a merger with Trinity College in Round Rock.
History
Jauer Family Cemetery
Jauer Family Cemetery Johann Carl Ludwig Jauer (1812-1901) and Anna Caroline Alemeier (1824-1868) married in 1851 and settled on this Fisher and Miller Colony land acquired through an 1847 contract with the German Emigration and Railroad Company. The burial ground was likely set aside with the 1853 death of an unnamed infant daughter.
History
John F. McGuffin
Star and Wreath Born in South Carolina in 1813; came to Texas in 1837; a soldier in the Army of Texas; He participated in the struggle for Independence in 1835 and 1836; died September 10, 1887. Erected by the State of Texas 1956
History
John N. Sowell
Star and Wreath Born in Tennessee; came to Texas about 1829. Served in the Army of Texas, 1836; brother of Andrew Jackson Sowell, and son of John Sowell, who participated in the Battle of Gonzales; died in 1858. Erected by the State of Texas 1956
History
Jonathan Douglas
Born in Georgia January 7, 1799. He fought for Texas Independence as a private in Captain Splane's Company at San Jacinto. Died December 19, 1857. His wife Nancy Douglas born July 23, 1793. Died February 9, 1860.
History
Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch
Born in San Antonio, Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871) held several offices in the Mexican government before becoming an active participant in the movement for Texas independence. Owner of numerous land holdings in this part of the state, Navarro purchased land along Geronimo Creek (approx. 1.2 mi. E) for farming and ranching activities in 1834.
History
Joseph Sonka House
Czechoslovakian immigrant Joseph Sonka (1849-1924) came to Seguin in 1878. A stonemason by trade, he established a brickyard and cotton gin near this site and in 1881 began construction of this house. He completed it in 1893, the same year he married Annie Klicka (1867-1937). Made of bricks from the Sonka brickyard, the house is built on an L-plan with Italianate detailing.
History
Juan Nepomuceno Seguin
(1806-1890) Born in San Fernando de Bexar (San Antonio), son of Erasmo Seguin, whose ancestors came to America about 1700. Juan N. Seguin and his father in 1834 rallied fellow Texans against dictator Santa Anna. Young Juan Seguin raised Mexican-Texan troops, and fought in Siege of Bexar, 1835. He provided horses for soldiers of Col. W. B.
History
Juan Seguin
In 1974, the citizens of Seguin brought the remains of Juan Seguin to this city. On July 4, 1976, the Bicentennial Committee and the City of Seguin reinterred the remains of Juan Seguin in a hillside plot overlooking the Guadalupe River Valley. The site (about one mile southwest of here) is above the old road and ford to the south and was well known to Juan Seguin.
History
King Family Cemetery
Also known as King Ranger Cemetery, this burial ground is a link to the history of one of Seguin's earliest families. Three brothers, John Rhodes, Henry Basil and William George King were among the city's residents during the days of the Republic of Texas. Each served the community with distinction. John and Henry were the first of the King family to move to Texas from Tennessee.
History
Lone Oak Cemetery
On January 17, 1897, German immigrants living in the Geronimo area met at Specht School to discuss the need for a community cemetery. The group formed a "friedhof gesellschaft," or cemetery association, and within a week purchased a five-acre plot of land from Ernst Puls and designated it the Lone Oak Cemetery.
History
Los Nogales
This structure was built in 1849 for German immigrant Justus Gombert. The one-room adobe structure, later stuccoed and enlarged, was owned from 1849 to 1859 by Joseph Zorn. After the Civil War, the property was used as a campground for members of the Freemen's Bureau. Ben McCulloch owned the property briefly in 1870.
History
Marion Public Schools
The town of Marion, a German settlement, was founded in 1877 as a marketing and shipping point for the Galveston, Harrisburg, and San Antonio Railroad. T. W. Peirce donated $3,000 and land for free public schools in Marion. In 1878 the first schoolhouse was built. In 1917 a brick building facing Cunningham Street replaced the first school.
History
Marion State Bank
The town of Marion began in the 1870s as a marketing and shipping point on the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio rail line. It grew steadily and, in the early twentieth century, began to develop as an important commercial center for the area. A cotton gin opened in 1904, followed soon by an electric plant and a telephone company.
History
Moore House
John Moore (1866-1909), a native of Ireland, was an early Seguin newspaperman and civic leader. Through family ties, he was also a friend of Rough Rider and U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt. In 1895, a year after his marriage to Kate Peck (McClaugherty) (1871-1943), Moore constructed a three-room frame house at this site.
History
Navarro School
The original Navarro School, named for early Texas leader Jose Antonio Navarro, was a one-room building located about one-half mile northeast of this site in 1889. A second structure was added in the early 1900s. In 1912 the Navarro Agricultural High School was built on land purchased from L. H. Heinemeyer. It was replaced in 1953 by new elementary and high school facilities on this site.
Military
Pendleton Rector
He fought for Texas Independence at Velasco, the Siege of Bexar and San Jacinto. Erected by the State of Texas 1962
History
Post Oak Community Cemetery
The Post Oak Zion Evangelical Church, established in 1885, served a mostly German community. The families of Gottlieb and Louise Brietzke and Julius and Johanna Schievelbein each donated an acre of land in 1894 to their church for cemetery purposes. The first documented grave in the cemetery is that of 10-year old Julius Radatz who died in 1888.
History
Redwood Cemetery
In 1895 German settlers in the community of Redwood founded a cemetery association. They purchased two acres of land located near Cottonwood Creek for a graveyard from A. H. and Sallie Fleming. A church and schools had been established nearby. The earliest marked grave is that of 15-year-old Lizzie Heidemeyer in August 1896.
History
Riverside Cemetery
This cemetery traces its origin to the Smith family graveyard established by early settlers to this area. Ezekiel (1781-1854) and Susanna (1774-1848) Smith and their four sons migrated to Texas from Virginia. In 1837 Ezekiel was granted land in present day Guadalupe County. Their son, French Smith (1809-1880), was one of the first shareholders of the city of Seguin.
History
Robert D. McAnelly
Star and Wreath Born in Kentucky, 1806; came to Texas in 1835; joined the Texas Army on its way to San Antonio; one of the storming party who entered Bexar, December 5, 1835; died in Guadalupe County, Texas, 1888. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
History
Saffold Dam
Named for William Saffold, who owned land here in the mid-1800s, Saffold Dam is typical of many mill dams built during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Originally a natural rock outcropping, the dam was first improved by Henry Troell in the late 1800s when he added rock to the dam to raise the water level to power a cotton gin.
History
Samuel Millett
Star and Wreath Samuel Millett; A Texas Soldier, 1835-1836; "He fought bravely in the Battle of San Jacinto." Erected by the State of Texas 1962