History
Schumannsville Cemetery
German immigrant August Wilhelm Schumann (1791-1858) arrived in Texas with his family in 1846 and bought a large parcel of land in Guadalupe County. Meeting a wagon train of immigrants from his homeland a few months later, he agreed to sell them land near the Guadalupe River.
Architecture
Sebastopol
This Greek Revival house was built in 1854-56 by Joshua W. Young with unreinforced, load-bearing walls of cast-in-place limecrete, an early form of concrete made of lime, sand, and gravel. Joseph Zorn, Jr., mayor of Seguin from 1890 to 1910, bought the house in 1874 and it remained in his family until 1961.
History
Site of Dietz Community
In 1851 Jamaica native Jacob De Cordova (1808-1868) settled here. He selected this spot for its beauty, rich soil and nearby springs. He built his first home, "Wanderer's Retreat". It served as a stage stop on the San Antonio Road and as a mail delivery station. De Cordova, acting as a land agent, sold over 90,000 acres of Texas land including this site.
History
Site of Muelder Store
Site of Muelder Store The community of New Berlin developed as German settlers came to the area in the 1840s. Businesses, schools and churches were established to serve its residents. In 1898, Luedger Kuehler, H. E. Kalies and Otto J. Muelder entered into a partnership, which they called l. Kuehler and Company.
History
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 1876. Stephen White, architect. Original frame building lost bell tower in 1886 storm. Restored with Austin stone walls, 1954. Distinctive interior wood carvings, cathedral windows, Tiffany-type stained glass. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
History
St. Paul Church
This congregation began about 1876 with German Lutheran worship services conducted by the Rev. T. Frehner and Oscar Samuel in private homes and a schoolhouse. A congregation, called St. Paulus Kirche, was formally organized and a church structure built on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. George Schlather in 1877.
History
Sweet Home Vocational and Agricultural School
Located in southwest Guadalupe County, the Sweet Home Vocational and Agricultural School served the educational needs of Negro students in Guadalupe County from 1924 until 1962. It was built in part with money from the Rosenwald Fund, a philanthropic endeavor developed by Sears, Roebuck Company president Julius Rosenwald, to improve the quality of education for rural citizens through the…
Architecture
Tewes House
Built in the 1870s, this limestone, masonry and stucco house was the home of Carl August Edward Tewes, his wife Texanna Wooten Newton, and their children. Tewes immigrated from Germany in 1854, was a Civil War veteran, became a merchant in Guadalupe County, and served as postmaster in New Berlin for 26 years. The house remained in the Tewes family until 1976.
History
Texas Lutheran College
The first German Evangelical Lutheran Synod in Texas authorized the establishment of a college in Brenham in 1890. Directed by the Rev. G. Langner, the Evangelical Lutheran College of Brenham opened in September 1891. Modeled after the European Gymnasium Schools, the Brenham Academy offered elementary and secondary courses taught in both German and English. It continued as an academy until 1906.
Nature
The Guadalupe River
One of the earliest explored rivers in Texas. Named for Our Lady of Guadalupe by Spaniard Alonso de Leon in 1689. During 1691-1693, Domingo Teran de Los Rios, Spanish Governor of Texas, maintained a colony on the Guadalupe. In early Anglo-American settlement, 30 or 40 families located along its bank, which formed a boundary of the Power-Hewetson Irish Colony.
History
The Women's Club Rooms
Erected 1902-1903 by Women's Federated Clubs of Seguin. Known as the first structure in Texas built solely for women's clubs. To finance building (cost $500), women under leadership of Mrs. Joseph B. Dibrell held bazaars, theatricals, ice cream suppers. C. F. Blumberg was contractor. Present site (the fourth) was a gift of Mrs. Edgar Nolte, 1937.
History
Tiemann School
Named for Theodore Tiemann, who sold one acre of land to the county school district for $5.00, Tiemann School provided educational, cultural, and recreational opportunities for citizens in this area. Beginning in 1903 as a one-room, one-teacher facility, the school eventually was enlarged to accommodate two teachers and many students.
History
Timothy Pickering Jones
Star and Wreath Born November 22, 1814. Entered Texas on his birthday 1835. An officer in the Texas War for Independence 1835-36. Captain of a company in the Mexican War. Colonel Sixth Tennessee Regiment 1861. Died in Texas, October 18, 1904. Erected by the State of Texas 1962
History
Wilson Potteries
Presbyterian minister John M. Wilson came to this area in 1856 with his family and slaves. Since earthen vessels were major 19th-century food storage items, Wilson established a pottery kiln in this vicinity in 1860. After Wilson sold his interest in the business in 1869, 3 of his former slaves began their own pottery shop. James, Hiram, and Wallace Wilson, who operated H. Wilson & Co.