History
Altwein Family
Johann Gotthilf Altwein (1801-1853), a grain mill builder and operator, and his wife Wilhelmine (Quandt) (1802-1880) brought their family to Texas from Prussia in 1851 and settled on a farm on the west bank of the Guadalupe River near this site. They donated land for the first Schumannsville community school.
History
Andrew Jackson Sowell
Star and Wreath Born in Tennessee 1815; came to Texas about 1829; served in the Army of Texas; a courier from the Alamo, he left the fortress just before it fell to hurry reinforcements and supplies; died about 1882. His wife Lucinda Turner Sowell, born 1827 - died 1883. Erected by the State of Texas 1956
History
Battleground Prairie
Where 80 volunteers commanded by General Edward Burleson defeated Vicente Cordova and 75 Mexicans, Indians and Negroes, March 29, 1839, and drove them from Texas, ending the "Cordova Rebellion." 25 of the enemy were killed. Many volunteers were wounded, but none fatally. 1936
History
Black Education in Seguin
Sponsored by the Second Baptist Church, the first public school for blacks in Seguin opened in 1871. Through the efforts of the Rev. Leonard Ilsley (1818-1903), and the Rev. William Baton Ball (1840-1923), a frame school was built on this site, and named Abraham Lincoln School. Ball was the first principal. In 1892, the Lincoln School became a part of the Seguin Public School System.
History
Boecker Cemetery
FRIEDRICH BOECKER DIED IN 1880 AND WAS BURIED AT THIS SITE, IN THE SOUTHWEST PORTION OF HIS 203-ACRE FARM. DURING THE FOLLOWING FOURTEEN YEARS, ELEVEN MORE PEOPLE'ALL MEMBERS OF NEIGHBORING GERMAN FARM FAMILIES'WERE ALSO BURIED HERE. IN 1896, FRIEDRICH'S SON HEINRICH SOLD JUST OVER TWO ACRES TO CEMETERY TRUSTEES FRED SCHULTZE, JR.
Military
Camp Clark, C.S.A.
Named for Edward Clark, first Confederate governor of Texas, whose executive order June 8, 1861, created voluntary camps of instruction such as this. Food, camp facilities and guns were voluntary gifts by local people. Farmers, merchants, artisans, laborers gave goods and services. Men with military training and experience gave their time as drillmasters.
History
Campbell Cabin
John Campbell of Ireland, who migrated to Seguin before 1847, possibly built the first room of this log cabin about 1850. In 1851 he returned to his native country and persuaded several family members, including his brother Peter Campbell, to settle here also. A farmer and rancher, Peter lived in the cabin and later enlarged it to accommodate his growing family.
History
Christ Lutheran Church of Elm Creek
German immigrants who settled in this area began meeting together for worship services in the 1880s. Initially meeting in homes or the local schoolhouse, the group officially organized a Lutheran congregation with the assistance of the Rev. Carl Kreutzenstein. After the first two sanctuaries were destroyed in storms in 1886, a new building was dedicated on February 28, 1887.
History
Cibolo
A town began to grow here after the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railroad built a line through western Guadalupe County in 1875. A general store, operated by George Schlather and Ernst Jenull, was opened the following year to serve the predominantly German population. A post office was established in 1876, and the town was named Cibolo from an Indian word for buffalo.
Military
Claiborne Rector
Star and Wreath Served in the Battle of San Jacinto; Captain William H. Patton's Company. Erected by the State of Texas 1962
History
Clear Spring Hall and Store
This area was settled by German immigrants in the 1840s and 1850s. Named for a water source later inundated by Lake Dunlap, the Clear Spring Community never evolved into a town, but remained a rural settlement. A store built at this site in the 1870s by Johann Andreas Breustedt became the commercial and social center for the surrounding area.
History
Colonel James Clinton Neill
Born in North Carolina in 1790; came to Texas in 1831; participated in the storming and capture of Bexar; December 5 to 10, 1835; wounded April 20, 1836 in the skirmish preceding the Battle of San Jacinto; died about 1845
History
Colonel John Ireland
Home Town of Texas Confederate Colonel John Ireland. Delegate to Secession Convention 1861. Joined army as private. Won laurels in that most brilliant wartime effort - the defense of the 800-mile Texas coast in September 1862, repulse of Federals at Corpus Christi. Ireland captured fleet Captain Kittredge, his flag and arms.
History
Colonel Nathaniel Benton
Col. Nathaniel Benton, born in Tennessee 1814, came to Texas in 1835, served in the army, 1836, Texas Ranger, 1858, Confederate Officer, 1861, died in 1872. His wife, Jane Harris Benton, born in 1836, died in 1862. 1936
History
El Capote Ranch
The founder of El Capote Ranch was Jose De La Baume (1731-1834), a French army officer who came to North America with the Marquis De Lafayette and fought in the American Revolution. He later joined the Spanish Army and for his services received title in 1806 to 27,000 acres of Texas land - the original El Capote Ranch.
History
Elijah Valentine Dale
A San Jacinto veteran. Born in Georgia, February 14, 1807. Died December 14, 1890. His wife Jane Johnson Dale born in Ohio, August 3, 1821. Died June 17, 1896.
History
Ezekiel Smith
A soldier in the Army of Texas in the Mier Expedition, 1842; born in Virginia; died in Seguin, Texas, October 28,1854.
History
Former Site of Dowdy School
After the Wolters and Nixon School Districts merged in 1916, school trustees acquired 2 acres here from William Dowdy and erected the Wolters-Nixon School building. A gymnasium and classrooms were added in the early 1930s after an oil boom boosted the local economy. In 1932 the school was renamed Dowdy and offered high school classes for the first time.
History
Founding of Town of Marion, 1877
The Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railway was chartered in 1870 to give interior Texas ready access to Gulf of Mexico ports. As the tracks proceeded west of the Guadalupe, Col. Thomas W. Peirce (1818-85), major investor in the G.H. & S.A., bought land here near a country store and hotel. Platting a town named for his daughter, he obtained a U.S. Post Office on May 31, 1877.
History
George Francis Home_Dublin Plantation
[first plate] Built by George Francis, who was in First Regiment, Volunteers, and in Co. A, Second Regiment, Texas Cavalry, during the 1836 Texas War for Independence.In 1848 he brought his wife, Margaret Ann Rector Francis, and their family to Texas, and in 1849 erected this house on York's Creek. At this point is crossing used by San Antonio-to-Bastrop mail route of 1870.
History
George Washington Lonis
Star and Wreath Came to Texas in 1830; participated in the Texans' campaign against Bexar, 1835; wounded in the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836; died in Guadalupe County, 1860. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
History
Guadalupe County
Guadalupe County; formed from Gonzales and Bexar counties; created March 30, 1846. Organized July 13,1846; named for the Guadalupe River, to which this name was given by Alonso De Leon in 1689; Seguin, the county seat named in honor of Juan Nepomuceno Seguin 1806-1890.
History
Guadalupe County, C.S.A.
Star and Wreath Two local companies of volunteers were with Ben McCulloch in San Antonio, Feb. 16, 1861 when U.S. Arsenal was surrounded by Texans and surrender demanded. An encounter in a charged atmosphere which could have become the first armed conflict of Civil War but ended without a shot being fired and U.S. troops leaving state.
History
Guadalupe High School
Chartered Dec. 3, 1849; the 30 men in corporation each held $1,000 worth of stock. This was first Seguin school financed through public subscription. Plant was in use in 1850. Dr. Joseph E. Parks, nationally known chemist who had moved here from Kentucky, was in charge of the construction, which was mainly of patented parks concrete.
History
Hardscramble
Home of Henry and Ben McCulloch, 1841-1853; of Nathaniel Benton, 1858; of Elijah V. Dale, 1871; famous Texas Rangers and veterans all of the Texas Revolution; bravery, skill and courage, were common attributes of men who dared the wilderness of Texas, but no patriots of Texas ever offered greater service than did the McCullochs, Benton and Dale. Erected by the State of Texas 1936