History
Indian Creek Baptist Church and Cemetery
The oldest readable gravestone in this burial ground bears the date 1870, four years before the founding of the Indian Creek Baptist Church. Worship services were first held in a schoolhouse 1/4 mile south of this site. Dock Holcomb donated this property adjacent to the cemetery, and a church building was completed in 1882 using lumber hauled by wagon from Jefferson.
History
Inglish Cemetery
(1838-1964) County's oldest. Bailey Inglish donated plot near old Fort Inglish (called Bois d'Arc, later Bonham). Pioneers buried here include 1838 Indian massacre victims Andrew Daugherty, Wm. McCarty; 1836 Fannin County colonizers Bailey Inglish and Daniel Rowlett; and Texas Revolution veterans James Tarleton. Fannin County Historical Survey Committee, 1964.
History
James Fowler Biggers
(January 21, 1829 - October 26, 1914) A native of South Carolina, James Fowler Biggers grew up in Mississippi. In 1869 he and other members of his family traveled to Texas by wagon train and settled in Fannin County. Biggers helped establish the White Rock Primitive Baptist Church and often serve the congregation as a lay preacher.
History
James G. Gilmer
(1814-1846) One of the courageous men who helped civilize the wilderness. Moved here from Kentucky in 1845 with his wife Elizabeth (Parrish) and children William S., George A., and Thomas S. James P. Gilmer, the fourth son, is said to have been first Anglo-American born at present Honey Grove. A few months after he settled here, James G. Gilmer died; his burial established this cemetery.
History
John Cadwallader Neale
(Apr. 20, 1838 - Dec. 13, 1906) Born in middle Tennessee, John Cadwallader Neale enlisted in the Confederate Army during the Civil War and served with the 9th Tennessee Cavalry. In 1877, three years after he migrated to Fannin County, he purchased a nearby farm. He later opened a family grocery in Leonard and became a leading businessman of the community. He was also a Mason and a church deacon.
History
Jones' Mill Community
In the 1840s, New Jersey natives John W. and Tamson (Tamezine) Finley Jones settled in Fannin County. Joining them later, other family members included sons who had served as missionaries to the Choctaw and Chikasaw nations. The Jones' Mill Community arose around the family's flour mill and cotton gin.
History
Joseph F. Fenner
Star and Wreath Texas War for Independence veteran. Member Shackelford's Company, Colonel Fannin's command, 1836. Erected by the State of texas, 1962
History
Joseph Sowell
Joseph Sowell In September 1836, Joseph Sowell (1804-1841) came to Texas shortly after the republic was established. Settling on his 1280-acre land grant just south of the Red River, Sowell made his home about 1.5 miles northwest of this site.
History
Ladonia
Settled about 1840 by James McFarland and Daniel Davis, this community was first called McCownville after early settler Frank McCown. The town's first merchant, James H. Cole, a carpenter who moved to the county in 1855, planned and staked out the town site and included wide streets.
History
Ladonia Cemetery
The principal burial ground for members of the Ladonia community, this graveyard has historically been divided into two sections: The I.O.O.F. (Odd Fellows) Cemetery and the Presbyterian Cemetery. The oldest recorded grave, that of Joe Shelby (d. 1866), infant daughter of J. E. and S. T. Shelby, is located in the Presbyterian Cemetery section.
History
Leonard
Settlers began arriving in this area in the 1840s and 1850s. Solomon L. Leonard (1811-1861) planned to move here from Missouri because of his sympathy with the Confederate cause. Before his death, he accumulated holdings of 10,000 acres on the prairie around Wildcat Thicket, where fugitives and outlaws often hid.
History
Lindsey-Randolph Cemetery
Tennessee native Thomas Lindsey (b. 1794) brought his family to this part of Fannin County in 1837. In the late 1840s, Lindsey donated four acres of his farmland for a school and cemetery. The first burial in the cemetery was for one of Lindsey's slaves. The one-room schoolhouse built next to the graveyard served as a community church where funeral services were held.
Architecture
McClellan-Cunningham House
McCLELLAN-CUNNINGHAM HOUSE DISTRICT JUDGE EUGENE DAVID McCLELLAN AND HIS WIFE, CARLTON COLLEGE PIANO TEACHER ALICE (HUNT), BUILT THIS HOME IN 1879. IN 1907, THE McCLELLANS' DAUGHTER CORNELIA MARRIED ATTORNEY HENRY ALLEN CUNNINGHAM, AND THE COUPLE MOVED INTO THE HOUSE, WHICH STAYED IN THE FAMILY UNTIL THE 1960s.
History
McCraw's Chapel
Methodist Church and Cemetery Settlers farming the blackland prairie in this area gathered in the home of Ezekiel Phillips Warren (1828-1903) in 1859 to organize a Methodist congregation. Warren, a native of Tennessee who moved here in 1856, hosted the group for several years. In 1877 two acres of land for a church and cemetery were donated by William Bain McCraw (1841-1878) and others. The Rev.
History
McKenzie Methodist Church
This church traces its history to early Methodist services held in the Union Church of Honey Grove in the 1840s. Methodist members of the Union Church erected their first church building here in 1881 and named it for J.W.P. McKenzie, a pioneer Methodist preacher in North Texas.
Military
Military Headquarters Northern Sub-District of Texas, C.S.A.
Established at this site as a key part of Civil War defense of Texas by General Henry E. McCulloch, frontier fighter and Ranger of long experience. With supervision of 7 brigades fighting in Texas, Indian Territory and Arkansas, McCulloch had here only 2 cavalry and 4 infantry units to patrol and defend 600 miles along the Red River and western frontier against hostile indians, bands of armed…
History
Moore's Chapel Cemetery
Missouri native Alexander Moore married Virginia native Mary Jane Jones in St. Genevieve, Missouri, in 1856. They moved to Texas and purchased land in this area in 1857. The Moore donated two acres here to a rapidly growing community for cemetery purposes in the mid-1870s.
History
Mulberry Cemetery
Located approximately two miles south of the Red River, Mulberry was established in the early 1880s as a small farming community. One of the first settlers in Mulberry was Civil War Captain Thomas Lightfoot and his family from Alabama, who bought several thousand acres of land along the Red River.
History
New Salem Cemetery
Pioneers began settling this area in the mid-1840s, and Philip Greenleaf Williams was among them. He arrived in 1844 and established a water-powered gristmill south of Bois D'Arc Springs. He left for Virginia to bring his wife and family to the area in 1848, but he drowned in the Red River on the return journey.
History
Oakwood Cemetery
Established in 1846, this cemetery was originally known as the Walcott Graveyard. The earliest documented burial in the cemetery is that of James G. Gilmer (1814-1846). A native of Kentucky, Gilmer came to Texas in the late 1830s and settled in this area. He was buried on his family land, and his widow, Elizabeth Parrish Gilmer, later married Benjamin Stuart Walcott. Mr. and Mrs.
History
Old Baldwin Home
Mid-Victorian architecture; built 1890s by John Baldwin. His cotton gin patrons -- 70 or 80 per day -- were guests at meals in the home. During early 1940s many legislators, two governors -- Coke Stevenson, W. L. O'Daniel -- were entertained here. RTHL - 1967
Architecture
Old Home of Pioneer Banker A. B. Scarborough
Built 1897. The massive architecture combines Gothic, Grecian and 17th century features in arches, balconies, cupola, turrets, gables. An example of Victorian Romanesque, bought 1937 and preserved by Joe C. Denton. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
Architecture
Old Kirkpatrick Home
Victorian architecture. Built 1899 by family of Rev. W. A. Kirkpatrick. Still has original cypress roof, bois d'Arc foundation, some of first furnishings. Center, social life old Grayson College, and Presbyterian community. RTHL - 1967
Architecture
Old W. W. Brownlee Home
Built 1872 with lumber hauled from Jefferson. Second story was added later. Bought 1946 by Alex Longmire. RTHL - 1968
History
On Route of Early Texas Streetcars
In Bonham--as in most Texas towns that became busy trading, ranching, or agricultural centers in the late 1800s--streetcars or trolleys were used in local transit. Bonham's steam-powered streetcar line, built about 1890, extended 2.5 miles from Russell Heights to the Texas & Pacific Railroad Station. Cars ran every 30 minutes. Fare was 5 cents; or 10 cents round-trip.