History
Dr. Daniel Rowlett
(b. Virginia, 1786 - d. Texas, 1848) Came to Texas 1836. Caused Fannin County to be created, 1837. Served as Congressman, Republic of Texas, 1837-38, 1839-40, 1843-44. Helped (1840) organize Constantine Lodge No. 13, A. F. & A. M., and was its first Worshipful Master. Was most versatile pioneer here.
Industry & Science
Dr. Tom Douglas Spies
(Sept. 21, 1902 - Feb. 28, 1960) A native of the Fannin County community of Ravenna, Dr. T. D. Spies was an eminent authority in the study of nutritional diseases. In the 1930s, he led in the discovery of a cure for pellagra, a disorder caused by inadequate diet that once afflicted thousands in the South.
History
Dr. William Chamberlayne Jones
(Aug. 31, 1829 - June 11, 1903) A native of Alabama, William Chamberlayne Jones migrated to Texas in 1852 and resided near the Monkstown settlement in northeastern Fannin County. Trained as an attorney, he sold his Red River plantation after the Civil War and began studying medicine in New Orleans. He later served this area as a physician in the Grove Hill and Leonard communities.
History
Ector Lodge No. 687, A. F. & A. M.
This lodge began in 1887, when a group of Masons in the town of Ravenna joined together and petitioned the Grand Lodge of Texas for a charter. In 1889 the lodge was moved to the new railroad town of Ector, and in 1901 the name was changed to Ector Lodge No. 687. The membership met in several locations before moving to this building in 1980.
History
Ely
A veteran of the Civil War, Levi Wells Ely (1829-1904) and his wife Laura (Page) migrated to this area from Georgia in 1882. The settlement that grew up around their farm became known as the Ely community. Settlers were attracted to this cotton-producing area by the fertile soil and nearby rail lines. Ely was the site of a general store, cotton gin, blacksmith shop, barber shop, and churches.
Museums & Art
Erwin Evans Smith
(August 22, 1886 - September 4, 1947) Artist-photographer Erwin Evans Smith, a Fannin County native, was enchanted as a youth with the culture and folklore of ranching in the southwest. He studied art in Chicago and Boston in hopes of becoming a western sculptor. For several summers in the early 1900s, he visited ranches to sketch and photograph cowboys at work and leisure.
History
Fannin County
This area was first settled by Anglo- Americans who traveled up the Red River by steamboat in 1836. Fannin County was created in 1837, organized 1838, and named for James W. Fannin (1805-36), who was massacred with his soldiers at Goliad (March 27, 1836) after surrendering to the Mexican army. County officials first met at Jacob Black's cabin on the Red River.
History
Fannin County Courthouses
Commissioners Court first met at Jacob Black's cabin on Feb. 26, 1836, before Fannin County was officially organized. In 1838 Warren (near present Ambrose in Grayson County) was named the county seat. The courthouse built there in 1840 was a two-story oak and cedar structure with rough plank floors.
History
First Baptist Church of Trenton
On January 7, 1877, Trenton Baptists began worshiping in the Burns school house. The church body organized as Smyrna Baptist Church of Christ, with Martin W. Gentry as the first pastor. In 1886, the church called their second pastor in Jno. William Connelly. The church entered into fellowship with the Sister Grove Association in 1878 until the Fannin County Baptist Association formed in 1889.
History
First Fannin County Settlement
(1 mile east of landing) Established April 1836 by five pioneers moving to Texas on the "Rover," one of few steamboats to pass around snags and bends of Red River to this area. The colonists -- from four states of the "Old South" -- were Richard Locke, Dr. Daniel Rowlett, Daniel Slack, Edward and John Stephens.
History
First National Bank
Oldest bank in Fannin County. Chartered December 12, 1883. At that time, county had 25,000 people; farming and industry prospered; a new railroad was being built; seven schools and colleges and three newspapers were in operation. Growth of the bank has paralleled and contributed to Bonham's growth. Many descendants of the 24 original stockholders remain affiliated with its interests.
History
First National Bank of Trenton
Founded in 1901 by John Donaghey, J. B. Robinson, and Y. B. Reed -- major officers for 33 years. Descendants still operate institution. In early days old-timers gathered here to discuss town events. Bank is still center of community news. At same location since founding; remodeled twice.
Architecture
First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church, U.S. erected 1885. Congregation organized in 1872. Only church in area with spire and belfry. RTHL - 1965
History
First Presbyterian Church of Leonard
This congregation was organized as a mission of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A., in 1875 at Valley Creek (3 mi. N) through the efforts of H. L. Parmele, the community's founder and leading merchant. The Rev. DeCosta Howard Dodson, a noted Christian educator, became the first pastor.
History
Fort Warren
(site six miles north) First settlement and fort In Fannin County. Built in 1836 by Abel Warren, Indian trader from Arkansas, to protect his trading post. Constructed of bois d'arc wood, the structure had a two-story guardhouse at all four corners. Kiowa, Tonkawa, Caddo, Wichita and other Indians came here to trade furs for paint, knives and trinkets.
History
Fry Homestead
Built 1854 by Abraham K. Fry on land bought in 1844 in Texas Republic. Continuously owned by Fry family to present time.
History
Galbraith House
Marshall A. Galbraith (1829-1918) came to Texas from Kentucky in 1847 and settled here. He joined Confederate Army, 1862, serving in Col. Alexander's regiment, 34th Texas Cavalry. A prominent farmer and businessman, Galbraith built this Greek revival house about 1870. Although several alterations and additions have occurred over the years, the house still retains its late 19th century character.
History
Gober Garage
Vernon C. Shive and John N. Glover operated a garage in Gober as early as 1933. After Shive died in 1944, John and Ruth Glover acquired a full share in the Gober Garage. In 1956, E. F. Anderson built a new facility with clay tile walls and steel trusses and windows. This vital community business offered maintenance and repair services for automobiles and farm equipment.
History
Gober Public Schools
The town known as Gober was settled in the 1840s, and was first called Grittersville. A town site was platted in 1885 and the town was renamed to honor early settlers. Public education in Gober began in a one-room schoolhouse that also served as a church and social center. In 1924 fire destroyed the school, but it was replaced by a two-story frame structure.
History
Grove Hill (Ghost Town)
The earliest settler in this area was George w. Smith, a native of Georgia, who moved here in 1844. By the early 1850s, a community had developed and a post office was established under the name Oak Hill. The first church, a Baptist congregation, was organized in 1855 at the home of pioneer settler Joseph Ring.
History
Grove Hill Masonic Lodge
Chartered in 1873 with fifteen members, this Masonic Lodge was organized in the Grove Hill community (3.5 mi. NE). The first meetinghouse was constructed there on property purchased in conjunction with the Grove Hill School District, which used the facility for classes. The Lodge moved to Leonard in 1882, shortly after the town was founded.
Architecture
Haden House
Built 1894 by craftsmen Martin and Krause for local merchant, J. B. Haden, and wife Elizabeth. Remained in Haden family until 1963. Cypress construction with ornate gingerbread trim. Interior has fine woodwork. Late Victorian architecture. RTHL - 1966
Architecture
Home of T. H. Sears
Colonial style home built by T. H. Sears, son of Christopher C. Sears, pioneer. Situated on part of original land grant. Show place since 1909. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
Civic & Local
Honey Grove City Hall
In 1885, ten years after the town of Honey Grove was incorporated, Mayor J. P. Gilmer brought to the attention of the City Council the need for a city hall and jail building. This structure was completed four years later. It is Fannin County's only original civic building that is still standing.
History
Honey Grove Lodge No. 164, A. F. & A. M.
Granted a dispensation by the Grand Lodge of Texas in 1854, the Honey Grove Masonic Lodge was officially chartered in 1856. Early meetings were held in the attic of the old Smith Hotel on the town square and on the second floor of the Walcott School Building. In 1914 the Lodge moved to a building on N. 6th Street shared with the newspaper office.