History
Portland (Ghost Town)
The earliest known settler in the Portland community was Jesse Green London (1843-1875). A native of Missouri and a Confederate veteran who brought his family here in 1873. Other early settlers included members of the Tefteller, Cline, Bell, Henderson, Goin, and Biggerstaff families.
History
R. E. (Bob) Stokes Homestead
In 1895 R. E. (Bob) Stokes (1865-1944), his wife Ada, and their children migrated from Mississippi to Hickory Creek community in Fannin County. Stokes purchased this farm in 1901 and erected this house the following year. Nearby there was a log barn and a two-room workers' house.The family had ten children.
History
Rehobeth Cemetery Chapel
First house of worship in this part of Fannin county. Place for camp meetings, burials, annual reunions since 1840. Chapel built 1850 was ruined by tornado and rebuilt in 1885. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Risser Hospital
Constructed about 1915 by John Sparger, Jr., this building first served as the residence of D. W. Sweeney, a local merchant and banker. In 1956 it was purchased by Dr. Joe A. Risser and opened as an 18-bed hospital, one of several doctor-operated clinics that served the medical needs of Bonham residents. Risser Hospital gained national attention on Nov.
History
Sam Rayburn
(Jan. 16, 1882 - Nov. 16, 1961) Tennessee native Sam Taliaferro Rayburn moved to Texas with his family in 1887. His long and successful political career began with his election to the Texas Legislature in 1906. It continued through 25 consecutive terms in the U. S. House of Representatives, where Rayburn served with 8 presidents and held the speakership for 17 years.
History
Sam Rayburn Library and Museum
Speaker Sam Rayburn and Dallas architect Roscoe DeWitt designed this facility to house Sam Rayburn's archives, books and artifacts. Rayburn served Fannin and surrounding counties for more than 55 years as state legislator and U.S. Congressman, including 17 years as Speaker of the House.
History
Samuel Augustus Erwin
(March 17, 1786 - July 13, 1854) Virginia-born Samuel Erwin was married in 1819 in Tennessee to Sally Rodgers Crisp (1795-1860), in a ceremony performed by local magistrate David Crockett. First settler in the Honey Grove area, Erwin arrived here in 1837 and surveyed land grants for other pioneers. A surveyor by profession, he platted the townsite for his friend B. S. Walcott in 1848.
History
Savage
William Hamilton "Uncle Billy" Savage (1822-1909) and his wife Elizabeth (Henson) moved to this area in 1869. Due to bad road conditions, they often stocked extra supplies and sold them to their neighbors. Their store became the center of Savage community (2.5 mi. E). The village had a doctor, blacksmith, cotton gin, stores, school, church, and a post office established in 1891.
History
Shiloh Cemetery
Early settlers to this area included: Melchezedec Self, who arrived in 1845; William Newton Wright, who came around 1852; and brothers John and Henry Whittenberg, who came in the early 1860s. These men, their families and others established several farming communities throughout this part of Fannin County.
History
Site of Bartley-Woods School
Several rural schools existed in Fannin County in the 1890s, including Bartley School and Woods School. In 1932 the County School Board consolidated the schools, along with Providence School and formed the Bartley-Woods School. Three teachers were responsible for not only the consolidation, but for teaching a wide range of subjects.
History
Site of Booker T. Washington School
According to local tradition the Bonham Colored School began in a one-room structure in northwest Bonham in the early 1890s. Enrollment in the 4-teacher school grew from 40 pupils in 1904 to 216 in 1911. By 1920 the school offered 11 grades and was called Booker T. Washington.
History
Site of Bralley-Pendleton School
The first school for Africa Americans in Honey Grove began in 1882 with 20 students and one teacher. The school was named for F. M. Bralley, an early superintendent. By 1911 there were 188 students and two teachers. Bralley became a high school in 1925 when Smith Hill School opened for elementary grades, but the two schools were joined again in 1934.
History
Site of Dial Schools
School in this community was held 1840-80 in a log cabin used also for church and community activities. Cotton gin and grist mill of Dial family attracted settlers. Dial Post Office opened May 24, 1880. In July 1880 a site was provided for academy which gained renown under a superior educator, Robert W. Lane (1825-91), a Confederate veteran.
History
Site of Fort Lyday
Early Texas pioneer Isaac Lyday built a fort in this area soon after settling here in 1836. The compound, located .75 mi. E. and .5 mi. N. of the old Lyday Crossing on the North Sulphur River, consisted of living quarters, storerooms, and a large community well. Many local families gathered inside the fort during Indian raids.
History
Site of Smith Plantation
Gideon Smith (b. 1815), a native of Alabama, moved to Fannin County in 1851 and purchased a 3000-acre tract. He deeded half of the property to his brother John C. Smith, who joined him in 1855. Gideon smith served one term in the Texas Legislature (1857-1858) and participated in the Civil War as a colonel in the Confederate Army. John Smith became a doctor and practiced medicine in the area.
History
Site of Steger Opera House
1890-1920 An opera house was constructed at this site in 1890 by a stock company headed by Benjamin Dabney. Two years later it was purchased by Ed D. Steger. Under his direction, the Steger Opera House became a popular spot for early residents of the Bonham area. It was the scene of many theater productions, traveling shows, civic activities and local talent events.
Transport
Texas and Pacific Depot
The Texas and Pacific Railroad was built eastward to Bonham in 1873. A small wooden depot erected that year was replaced by this larger brick structure in 1900. Damaged by fire in 1918, the depot was rebuilt the following year and continued to serve customers until 1950.
History
The Sam Rayburn Homesite
Samuel Taliaferro Rayburn (1882-1961), son of William Marion and Martha (Waller) Rayburn, was born in Tennessee; moved to Texas, 1887. Educated at East Texas State University and the University of Texas Law School, became lawmaker: Texas House of Representatives, 1906-13 (House Speaker, 1911-13), United States Congress, 1913-61.
History
Valley Creek
The first permanent settlement in this area began in 1869 when eleven Presbyterian families migrated here from New York. Organized by Howard L. Parmele and others, including his brother-in-law Samuel F. B. Morse, the inventor of the telegraph, the colony was formed for the establishment of a Presbyterian U.S.A. mission.
History
Vicinity of Fort Inglish
(exact original location unknown) Spot where settlement of town of Bonham began. On 1,250-acre land grant of Texas Republic to Bailey Inglish (1797-1867), former Miller County, Ark., sheriff who led train of settlers traveling by oxcart to this site in 1837. Here they built a log stockade and blockhouse with gun ports for use in community defense.
History
Wheeler House
First Classic Revival house in area. Has unusual stairway. Built 1852-1854, with slave labor. Fifth house on Bonham-Paris stagecoach road. Chimney stones and lumber hand-hewn. Joists were pegged rather than nailed. Sold in 1884 by Wiley Hulsey, builder, to confederate veteran Peyton wheeler and wife Martha Jane Hamil. Their descendants have erected this marker.
History
William W. Bell Cemetery
William W. Bell (1794 -1845) immigrated to the United States from his native England in 1820. By 1836 he had come to Texas, where he enlisted in the Republic of Texas army in February 1837. He later served in a company of Texas Rangers and was granted a contract by the Republic of Texas to carry mail from Independence to Nashville.