History
Allen's Chapel Methodist Church and Cemetery
In 1842, a Methodist Episcopal Church, South, congregation organized and built a log chapel on land given by Wilson Allen. Early leaders were the Revs. J.H. Graham and J.W.P. McKenzie; trustees and family names included Allen, Hamil, Ramsey, Wheeler, Spence, Stroud, Meade, Dutton, Johnson, Cobb, Massengale and Prickett. The settlement was called Allen's Chapel Community.
History
Arledge Ridge Cemetery
Among the early settlers of this area were Joseph and William Arledge, brothers who arrived from Alabama in the 1850s. Both established successful farms in the area, and the growing settlement became known as Arledge Ridge. Joseph Arledge operated one of the earliest freight lines in Fannin County, with regular routes to the port city of Jefferson.
History
Ashley Lodge No. 681, A. F. & A. M.
Chartered on December 12, 1889, this was the seventh Masonic lodge organized in Fannin County. The first official meeting occurred in January 1890, in a two-story frame building which the lodge shared with the Baptist church. In 1912 the lodge purchased a separate building in downtown Bailey.
History
Bailey Inglish
(ca. 1797-1867) In 1837, Bailey Inglish moved his family to this area from western Arkansas, where he had been an influential leader of pioneer settlers. Here he was active in the formation of Fannin County, serving on the land board and later as chief justice. To guard against repeated Indian raids, he built a fort on his land for area residents.
History
Bank of Windom
Recognizing a need for banking services, a group of local businessmen opened the Private Bank of Windom in 1900. Originally, the bank operated out of F.C. Council's store but relocated to a new brick structure on the corner of Main and 2nd streets in 1902. Although the name and organization of the bank changed over time, the building continued to house the only bank in Windom.
History
Benjamin Stuart Walcott
(October 17, 1809 - November 22, 1878) Founder and developer of Honey Grove, B. S. Walcott was a native of New England. He came to this area in 1846 and in 1848 married elizabeth (Betsey) Gilmer (1815-65). Walcott opened the first store here in Samuel Erwin's log cabin and constructed the first frame store building when the town was laid out in 1848.
History
Bethel Lodge No. 134 A. F. & A. M.
Operating under a dispensation issued in 1853, this organization was formally chartered by the Grand Lodge of Texas in 1854. Wesley C. Walker served as the first worshipful master. The membership, like the general population of the area, was comprised of pioneer settlers, many of whom migrated to the new state of Texas from the older states of the South.
Architecture
Biard Home
Built 1857 by hemp factory owner Z. K. Sims. Later owned by Thomas R. Williams, industrialist who brought to Bonham Dr. Charles Carlton, founder of Carlton College; Col. James Q. Chenoweth, first auditor of the U.S. Treasury; Judges James C. Clark and R. M. Lusk. Biard residence since 1909. RTHL - 1964
History
Biggerstaff Cemetery
(One-third mile south) The families of Oliver (1812-1872) and Mary (Livingston) Jackson (1818-1890) and George (1823-1906) and Didama (Jackson) Biggerstaff (1835-1902) moved here from Missouri and settled on adjoining farms in 1854. The Jacksons erected a schoolhouse on their property and this cemetery was established on the Biggerstaff farm.
Industry & Science
Bonham Cotton Mill
In 1900, nine Bonham businessmen formed a corporation to construct and operate a cotton mill near this site. The town's presence on the northern edge of the blackland prairie made it an idea location for textile manufacturing, since cotton was one of the area's principal crops. The Bonham Cotton Mill, which opened in 1901, was the town's first significant industrial plant.
History
Bonham Daily Favorite
In 1887 Dr. J. M. Terry, who gave up medicine for journalism, established the "Weekly Fannin Favorite." He expanded in 1892 by starting this newspaper, the oldest daily publication in Fannin County. For 45 years its offices were in the 500 block of North Main before moving here in 1953.
Civic & Local
Bonham High School Auditorium and Gymnasium
Using funds from the Federal Public Works Administration and local tax dollars, this structure was built to provide space for school and community assemblies, performances and athletic events. Architects Voelcker and Dixon of Wichita Falls designed the auditorium with Romanesque influences in its arched window and entrance openings and its brick detailing.
History
Buchanan Cemetery
Alexander Buchanan (1796-1846), his wife Delilah (1806-1870), and their eleven children moved to the Republic of texas from Illinois in 1844. They settled on a 320-acre farm at this site in January 1846. Alexander Buchanan died that same year and was buried on his farm in what became the Buchanan Cemetery.
History
Burns Cemetery
Land for this cemetery was donated in 1876 by Tennessee native William Boyd Burns (1821-1907), whose log cabin home was located adjacent to the site. Pioneer settler of the Trenton community, he also gave nearby property for a Union church building, Burns Chapel, which served as an early schoolhouse for the surrounding rural area.
History
Carlton College
Formally chartered in 1881, Carlton College began under the direction of Charles Carlton (1821-1902) as the Bonham Female Institute. Carlton, a native of England and a Disciples of Christ minister, had come to Bonham in 1867 to take charge of the institute, which soon became a coeducational school known as Bonham Seminary.
History
Carson Cemetery
According to local oral tradition, this cemetery was named for John Carson, who once owned the adjacent land. Some sources say one grave was in existence before 1842; others maintain the first graves date to an 1842 Indian raid at the nearby home of Dr. and Mrs. W. M. Hunter. The three victims of the raid were Mrs.
History
Central National Road
Created 1844 to connect Texas Republic with the United States. Route began in Dallas, to go to Kiomatia Crossing on Red River. Surveyed by Maj. George W. Stell, road was to be 30' wide and clear of tree stumps more than a foot high. Route ran north of land of John H. Loring (1 mi.
History
Charles Henry Christian
(July 29, 1916 - March 2, 1942) As a child Bonham native Charles (Charlie) Christian was exposed to the guitar artistry and soprano solos of his parents Clarence and Willie Mae Christian. Though taught in the guitar chord technique, he developed a unique single-string style that made his reputation and earned him a place in music great Benny Goodman's band in 1939.
History
Church of St. Mark, The Evangelist, Episcopal
This congregation was organized in 1876 by the Rt. Rev. Alexander C. Garrett, bishop of the Missionary District of Northern Texas, and later bishop of Dallas. In 1883, this building was constructed during the ministry of the Rev. J. P. Lytton. Of wood frame construction, the Gothic revival structure features lancet windows and a varnished pine interior with a cathedral ceiling.
Military
Col. James Tarleton
(August 4, 1789 - April 4, 1861) In the cause of independence, raised company of 36 riflemen in his native Kentucky, starting for Texas November 1835. City of San Antonio was liberated by time they arrived. Although an officer, Tarleton fought in the ranks in the victory at San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. Col. Tarleton settled in Fannin County with son, Robert Price Tarleton (1833-1897).
Military
Confederate Commissary
Army supply headquarters for Northern Sub-district of Texas. Dispensed uniforms, clothing, blankets, harness, bridles, gear, saddles, food rations. Beef, pork and wild game were cooked in an Army mess kitchen furnace on this site. At least 7 brigades defending the northeastern frontier of Texas drew supplies here.
History
Congressman Sam Rayburn
Born in Tennessee on Jan. 6, 1882, Samuel Taliaferro Rayburn came to north Texas with his parents in 1887. His political career began in 1906 with his election to the Texas House of Representatives, where he was Speaker of the 1911-13 Session. Rayburn was elected to the U.S. Congress from the 4th District in 1912, the first of his 25 consecutive terms there.
History
Constantine Lodge No. 13, A. F. & A. M.
Organized at the former county seat of Warren on Nov. 3, 1840, this was one of the earliest Masonic lodges in Texas. Dr. Daniel Rowlett (1786-1848), Fannin County pioneer and Republic of Texas Congressman, was one of the first officers. The lodge moved to Bonham in 1844 and opened a girls' school here in 1867. Since 1878, this group and Haywood Lodge No. 168, I. O. O. E.
History
Crockett Park
Named for David Crockett (1786-1836), the colorful Tennessee pioneer and congressman who rallied to cause of Texas in her war for independence. Late in 1835, Crockett traveled by riverboat, horseback, and on foot, entering Texas along the Red River (NE of here). Camping at a site half a mile northeast of this park, he found wild bees and honey in hollow trees.
History
Dial Home
This Queen Anne house was built in 1890, seventeen years after the town of Honey Grove was chartered. It was constructed for William H. and Martha (O'Kelley) gross. A prominent area lawyer, Gross served as the first city attorney for Honey Grove. In 1905 the property was purchased by local merchant Samuel M. Dial and his wife Ruby (Rutherford).