History
Lindenau
By 1891 German farmers settled in this area which Charles and Daniel Wild named "Lindenau." A schoolhouse built in 1893 served as a community center and for worship. The settlement boasted a church, cemetery, mercantile store, blacksmith shop, drugstore, post office, and cotton gin. The present rifle club formed in 1901 and erected a hall which became the social center.
History
Lithuanians in Texas
Among the many European immigrants arriving in Texas in the mid-19th century was a small group of Lithuanians who settled in the Yorktown vicinity of DeWitt County. Due to their eventual assimilation with the numerous German immigrants in the area, the Lithuanians and their contributions to the history of this region were overlooked for generations.
History
Lockhart Community Cemetery
These three acres form the oldest known African American burial ground in Dewitt County. Dating back to the 1800s, Lockhart once thrived as a rural farming community for African Americans. Its earliest settlers included sharecroppers and former slaves. The Lockhart Community Cemetery, along with the local school and churches, formed the center of community life in Lockhart.
History
Meyersville
Community opened by Peter Bluntzer, an 1843 settler drawing many others from Alsace; named for Adolph Meyer, an 1846 arrival, at whose home post office was established (1851). Lutheran and Catholic churches were founded in 1850s. Public school opened in 1899. Famous turkey-producing area. Population reached peak about 1923.
History
Morgan Steamship Line
First mail and passenger steamship service from the United States to Texas. In 1835 put in operation the "Columbia" from New Orleans to Galveston, bringing in settlers and goods; soon had three cargo and mail lines along the Texas coast and to Mexico. In 1850 based fleet at Indianola, to handle corn, cotton, sugar, beef. Brought in U.S. Army supplies for western forts. Carried to U.S.
Industry & Science
Municipal Power Plant
After attempts by Yoakum officials to purchase existing electric power facilities failed, the city voted in 1930, at a commission meeting attended by about 300 local residents, to build its own municipal power plant. This building was designed by the firm of Montgomery and Ward engineers of Wichita Falls and built by F. O.
History
Old Chisholm Trail
From site near here, 1800 Longhorns were moved out April 1, 1866, on first trail drive from this area to northern markets. Crockett Cardwell, owner of cattle bedground, had gathered the herd. The trail boss was Thornton Chisholm, a native of DeWitt County. Indian Scout Jesse Chisholm in 1865 had marked the upper trail from the North Canadian to the Arkansas River.
History
Peter Bluntzer
Early German colonizer in this are and donor of land on which this church stands. Migrated with his wife and children from Oderen, Alsace (in Europe), to Texas about 1843. Bound for Castroville with other pioneers, he stayed here after his wagon overturned, injuring his wife. This was the first Catholic family to settle in Coleto (present Meyersville).
History
Pilot Knob
A beacon for early Texas pioneers. Because this hill could be seen for miles, it guided travelers from Old Indianola (on the coast) inland to Helena and San Antonio during the 19th century. On the hill, they discovered charred rocks and artifacts from a previous Indian campground.
History
Shiloh
The small farming community of Shiloh began about 1847 with settlement by the McBride, Hamilton, McFarland, Odom, Anderson, and Woods families. In 1851 John Keith Rankin helped organize a Methodist Episcopal Church, whose members erected a building in 1852. Shiloh School, established in 1856, served the community until the early part of the 20th century.
History
Site of Cameron, First County Seat of DeWitt County
This site was chosen in June 1846 as the first seat of DeWitt County and named for Capt. Ewen Cameron (1811-43), slain prisoner of the Mier Expedition. Although a town was platted on the 100-acre tract donated by Joseph Tumlinson, a log courthouse and a county clerk's office were the only buildings erected.
History
Site of Friar-Cardwell Stage Stand
In 1839 or 1840 at the junction of the La Grange - La Bahia and Victoria - Gonzales Roads (.5 miles east), Daniel Boone Friar (1800-58) built a home and store that served as a social, political, transportation, and trade center for early De Witt County. In 1841 the two-story frame structure became an overnight stop on stagecoach lines between San Antonio and coastal towns.
History
Site of the Home of Captain John York
A member of one of Austin's ranging companies at San Felipe in 1829. Commanded A Company at the capture of San Antonio in 1835. Yorktown, named in his honor was laid out in 1848 on his land. Born July 4, 1800. Killed by Indians, October 11, 1848.
History
Site of the Home of Robert Justus Kleberg
Who came to Texas in 1834. Fought at San Jacinto in Captain Moseley Baker's Company. Senator in the State Legislature. Born in Herstelle, Germany, September 10, 1803. Died at Yorktown, Texas, October 23, 1888. A Texas county was named in his honor. Erected by the State of Texas 1936.
History
St. Ann's Cemetery
In 1845, Valentine Hoch settled in this area, and the community that developed nearby soon became known as Hochheim Prairie (now Hochheim). A number of Eastern European emigrants would settle here in the following years. Among them were Jacob and Anna (Laake) Poth, who sponsored other European settlers and rented them land in this area.
History
St. Mark's Lutheran Church
The great gulf storm of 1875 in Indianola brought many Lutherans to Cuero. By 1880 German Lutherans were meeting for services conducted by pastors from nearby communities. The 1886 destruction of Indianola brought more Lutherans, and St. Mark's was organized by German Home Mission Board of the Lutheran General Council on July 18, 1886, with 30 charter members. Sunday School was organized Jan.
History
St. Michael's Catholic Church
The Rt. Rev. Anthony Dominic Pellicer, First Bishop of San Antonio, established St. Michael's Parish in 1875, after the Cuero Land and Immigration Co. donated this site for a church. The name was chosen in memory of Michael O'Brien, whose widow was one of the first members. A small frame church was erected in 1876, and the Rev. V. L. Manci, S.J., became the first resident pastor. St.
History
Stagecoach Inn
Built of hand-quarried native stone in 1856 by V. Hoch, a settler. Served as an inn on the Austin-Indianola Stage Road. While drivers changed four-horse teams, the passengers welcomed the chance to enjoy the inn's food and hospitality.
History
Stagecoach Inn, 1856
Built by V. Hoch, a native German; of stone quarried nearby. An inn on Austin-Indianola Stagecoach Road. Purchased by Valentine Bennet, 1899. Restored by his grandson, Ross Boothe, Jr. 1954. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964
History
Stevens Cemetery
Joseph (1810-1861) and Sarah Ann Steen (1820-1860) Stevens, with Stevens, Steen, and Stephens relatives and a number of slaves, arrived in this area from Rankin County, Mississippi in 1846. They bought land from members of Green DeWitt's Colony and began to farm and raise cattle near this site.
History
Stratton
The pioneer community of Stratton, which developed as the center of a large agricultural area, was established here before the Civil War. It was named for John Stratton, a Cuero saddler who had land interests in the vicinity. The settlement had a post office from 1887 to 1905, a general store, school, cotton gin, drugstore and blacksmith shops.
History
Taylor Family Cemetery
THIS BURIAL GROUND, ALSO KNOWN AS TAYLOR-BENNETT CEMETERY, ORIGINALLY SERVED THE TAYLOR FAMILY. IT LATER ALSO BECAME THE FINAL RESTING PLACE FOR MEMBERS OF THE BENNETT FAMILY, WHO WERE JOINED WITH THE TAYLORS THROUGH THE 1857 MARRIAGE OF ELIZABETH J. DAY (STEP-DAUGHTER OF PITKIN TAYLOR) TO BRITISH-BORN JOSEPH W. BENNETT.
History
Terryville
Founded near this site in the 1850s, Terryville was named for the family of James D. Terry, who served as De Witt County judge from 1883 to 1891. The community raised a cavalry company for the Confederate Army and had a post office by 1869. The post office and most residents moved in the 1880s to a new location 2.5 miles away. The community prospered until the early 20th century.
History
The Bates-Sheppard House
This structure was built principally of lumber salvaged from ruins of the Indianola home of Morgan steamship Captain Henry Shepard (1826-1879). After a hurricane destroyed Indianola in August 1886, the late captain's son-in-law, Francis Walter Bates (1854-1930), shipped the salvaged materials here by rail and reconstructed the house on this site.
History
The Breeden House
This structure was begun in 1883 as a one-story dwelling for Walter Kibbe Breeden (1858-1931) and his wife Margaret (Pleasants) (1863-1936). In 1889 Breeden and his brother Charles founded Breeden brothers, well-known mercantile company and cotton factors. In 1907 a second floor was added to this residence.