History
The Edward Mugge House
Built in 1870s by a key man in the activities and ideology that gave the town of Cuero its economic leadership role in late 19th century south Texas. Edward Mugge (1839-97), a native of Germany, arrived in the now-extinct seaport of Indianola (80 miles southeast) on Aug. 20, 1854.
History
The Five-Mile (Ratcliffe)- Rabke Community
When four well-educated German families settled on Five Mile Creek in 1849, the community was called Latiner for their knowledge of Latin. Capt. Robert Kleberg (1803-88), Battle of San Jacinto veteran, was one early resident. In the 1880s, the German settlement of Rabke grew up nearby. Edward Rabke's store housed the post office, 1898-1905, and Woodmen of the World Lodge.
History
The Robert Allert House
Three courses of brick form walls for this house completed 1893 as his own residence by Robert Allert (1853-1910), a brickmason and a partner in Fuess and Allert, contractors who built much in Cuero, other south Texas cities, and northern Mexico. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973
History
The William Frobese Home
One of oldest homes in Cuero built in port city of Indianola (70 miles southeast) by William Frobese (1838-1911), who came from Germany to Texas in 1859 and rose to place of leadership as a partner in foremost banking-mercantile firm, H. Runge and Company. After Indianola's ruin in 1875 storm, house was dismantled and moved here by oxcart, with the parts numbered for reassembly.
History
Thomas M. Stell
Born in Florida; came to Texas in childhood. A cowboy in youth -- drove cattle to Kansas, Wyoming. Attended Covey College, Concrete. Appointed sheriff of De Witt County, 1892; he served 15 years. Used persuasiveness and tact in handling duties. One of the prisoners he held was notorious gunman John Wesley Hardin. Married twice; father of five children.
History
Thomaston
(Founded 1872) De Witt County's first railroad town. Absorbed Price's Creek, 1848 settlement of Republic of Texas patriot, Judge David Murphree (1811-66). Thomaston was named for State Legislator Nathan Thomas (1809-91), who sold south part of townsite (in Refugio Amador survey) to Gulf, Western Texas and Pacific Railroad. North part of plat was donated (from Charles Lockhart Survey) by John P.
History
Thomaston Cemetery
Thomaston was established as De Witt County's first railroad town in 1872, with much of the land for the townsite donated by John P. and Mary M. Lockhart Wright. Land for this cemetery was given in 1886 by John P. Wright, and his widow (second wife, Margaret Rankin Calliham Wright) donated an additional lot in 1917 to adjoin the cemetery on the north.
History
Union Veteran 2nd. Lt. Adolph Strieber
Co. G, 16th Illinois Cavalry from Apr. 1, 1863 to Aug. 15, 1865. Enlisted as private in Springfield, Ill., after crossing Confederate lines by walking, stagecoach and steamboat. Like many Texas Germans, he felt U.S. should be kept together. Born in Zellerfield, Germany. Came to Texas via Old Indianola with parents in 1846. Married Marie Wagenschien 1866. Pioneer merchant. Prominent citizen.
History
Upper Yorktown Cemetery
Upper Yorktown Cemetery In 1872, Ann Friar (1802-1899) formally established Upper Yorktown (Friar) Cemetery, where her husband, rancher-businessman Daniel Boone Friar (1800-1858), local masons and others were interred. In 1949, Barbara Respondek (1882-1949) donated one acre to the east for African-American residents, adding to its diverse Anglo, German and Hispanic origins.
History
Von Hugo-Von Clausewitz Family Cemetery
(1,000 feet south) The nearby oak grove served as a family cemetery from the 1870s, originally for two Prussian families immigrating to Texas in the 1850s. They sailed to the port of Indianola and settled here, close to Hochheim Prairie (3 miles west). Carl Ottomar Gunther Theodor Von Hugo (1805-1875) originally owned the property; his is the oldest marked grave in the cemetery.
History
Westhoff
Founded 1906 as Bello ("Beautiful View"), tent city of workers building Texas and New Orleans Railroad. Renamed 1909 for Wm. Westhoff (August 8, 1831 - March 19, 1911), local merchant and political leader. For a time town had 3 cotton gins, 13 stores. It remains a farming - ranching - uranium leasing center, inhabited by many ethnic groups.
History
World War II Air Training School Brayton Flying Field
In 1939 when the Nazis threatened world conquest, the United States had immediate need for thousands of pilots -- more than could be trained at military fields alone. Aid was enlisted from civilian flying schools. One field was established in Cuero under direction of Clyde E. Brayton, veteran pilot whose first licenses (1926-1931) were signed by air pioneer Orville Wright.
History
Yorktown
Founded 1848 as way station on old Indianola Trail. Chartered August 2, 1854. Incorporated 1871. San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad reached here 1886. Town's first school organized 1853. Prospered as center of farming and ranching; later, of oil and gas. Pioneer strains are German, American, Pole, Czech, Spaniard, Mexican, Negro.