History
George W. Davis
Citizen soldier who served Texas in its struggle for independence, 1835-1836. Erected by the State of Texas 1962
History
George Washington Davis
Pennsylvania native George Washington Davis (1797-1853) brought his family to Texas in 1831. He selected a league of land near present-day Cuero in the Green De Witt Colony and became an active participant in the movement toward Texas Independence, serving as a delegate to the Second Convention of Texas in 1833 and as a delegate to the Consultation at San Felipe in 1835.
History
Gohmert-Summers House
Typical of prospering 19th century city, this late Victorian house has fine details: imported leaded glass windows, metal "lace" trim, turned columns, Italian tile. Architect was A. O. Watson, Austin; Contractor, C. A. Fuess of Cuero. Built 1895 for Louis Gohmert (1859-1931) and wife Martha (Binder). Gohmert, who came as a boy from Germany, was secretary-treasurer of Breeden-Runge Wholesale Firm.
History
Golly Hollow School and Community
The first school for the Golly Hollow community was erected in a low lying area west of this site. In 1884 Theresa Hubers-Burger donated an acre of land so that this structure could be built on higher ground. The school was named for pioneer Antone Golly, who died in 1884. Golly Hollow became part of the public school system about 1893, and the building was enlarged before 1906.
Architecture
Grace Episcopal Church
Organized in 1874. First chapel was moved from Port Lavaca; present church, built 1889, was dedicated May 25, 1890, when the Rev. George Hinson was rector. Gothic architecture with clapboard siding, walnut interior, cedar shingle roof. Rectors have included Hudson Stuck (1892-94), reformer, child labor laws, and conqueror of Mt. McKinley, and Everett H.
Architecture
Heaton-Breeden House
This colonial revival house was built about 1880 for the family of David H. Heaton, owner of Cuero's first drugstore. In 1924 it was purchased by prominent civic leader Charles G. Breeden, who had it remodeled to its current appearance shortly before his death in 1925.
History
Hebron Community
This rural community traces its roots to the 1840s, when the first wagon train of settlers arrived in the area. The pioneer families built their homes out of the abundant timber available to them and began meeting for worship in a one-room log structure. Hebron Missionary Baptist Church was formally organized in 1855 and remains a focal point of the surrounding agricultural area.
History
Hephzibeth Looker Taylor
Born in South Caroline; married Josiah Taylor, October 1, 1807; came to Texas in 1824. After his death in 1830, she applied for a 1-league land grant in the Green De Witt Colony, based on Josiah Taylor's colonization certificate from the Empresario. On July 26, 1831, she received the grant.
History
Hillside Cemetery
The new community of Cuero was surveyed for the Cuero Land & Immigration Co. in 1873. That same year, the city incorporated, and the GWT&P Railroad extended its track to it from Indianola. The land company conveyed 12 acres at this site for use as a municipal burial ground in 1875. By 1880, local women formed a cemetery association to maintain burial plots.
History
Hochheim (Hoch's Home)
Founded near home and stage stand of Valentine Hoch on old Austin - Indianola Road, 1856. In 1864, German Methodist Church was built; post office opened 1869. County's first Protestant church (organized 1841 on Cuero Creek by J. M. Baker and James N. Smith) moved here in 1882 as Hochheim Presbyterian Church. The Baptist church was founded later (1923). Concrete Lodge No. 182, A. F. & A. M.
History
Hochheim Cemetery
Land for the Hochheim Cemetery was donated by Rachel S. Crawford (1806-1879). She and her husband, James (1800-1861), were pioneer settlers in the Hochheim community. They and many of their descendants are buried here. The graveyard contains many unmarked sites where pioneer immigrants who entered Texas through the nearby port of Indianola were interred.
History
Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery
In 1867, Anton (1815-1889) and Lucyia (1830-1912) Koszielsky deeded land to the Roman Catholic Church for a graveyard to serve the parishioners of the growing Catholic community of Yorktown. In 1916, Jesse H. (1866-1943) and Constantine (1866-1941) Kozelski donated additional acreage to enlarge the cemetery.
History
Holy Cross Catholic Church
Holy Cross Catholic Church This church was established by Polish families who first came to Texas in the 1850s and settled in Panna Maria, then migrated to this area. A group of Polish Catholics split from the primarily German Catholic Church in Meyersville and joined the Catholic Church in Yorktown.
History
Holy Cross Lutheran Church
Lutheran missionaries began serving settlers in the Yoakum area about 1888. The Rev. Cornelius Ziesmer and about ten families organized Holy Cross Lutheran Church on January 27, 1891. Early worship services were held in homes, the city hall, the old community opera house, and the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
History
Honoring Texas Confederate General August C. Buchel
1811-1864 Educated in stern military schools of Prussia. Was in French Legion and army of Turkey. Knighted in Spain after work in Carlist wars. Came to Texas 1845. In Mexican War 1846-47. Later became Port of Lavaca customs collector. Commanded Confederates at Brownsville, 1862-63. In charge of roads exporting cotton, beef, importing corn, munitions, medicines and factory goods thru Mexico.
History
Hopkinsville Community, A Colony of Freedmen
Members of the Hopkins family came to De Witt County in 1854 as slaves of Judge Henry Clay Pleasants (d. 1899). They worked for a time on a Gonzales County plantation and returned to this area after the Civil War as freedmen. In 1872 Henry Hopkins bought 42 acres of land and established the Hopkinsville community (1 mile west).
History
James F. Blair
Born in Tennessee. Parents were James and Catherine Jordan Blair. Served in Mexican and Civil wars. Rose from Confederate ranks to captain of Company G, 36th Texas Cavalry. Later served as Texas Ranger and was appointed Sheriff of De Witt County by Governor Throckmorton in 1866. Married Lucy Elizabeth Ainsworth in 1851. They had 8 children.
History
James Norman Smith
"Uncle Jimmy the Peacemaker." Son of Sgt. James Turner Smith, veteran of American Revolution. Born and educated in North Carolina. Lived for 32 years in Tennessee, where he taught James K. Polk, later a U.S. President. Taught first school in area now De Witt County, 1840 (year he came to Texas). Surveyed De Witt County; was first county clerk.
History
Josiah Taylor
Born in Virginia. First came to Texas in 1812, as captain in the Gutierrez - Magee Expedition, an attempt to free Mexico from Spain; fought at La Bahia, Alazan, Rosales; wounded 7 times in the Battle of Medina. Returned to Texas with family, 1824; listed in Atascosita Census, 1826; settled here in Green De Witt Colony, 1829. Five sons fought in Battle of Salado Creek with Capt.
Civic & Local
Jubilee Park Pavilion
Built 1923 in park donated to city on 25th anniversary of its founding. Some of wood came from floats used in the Jubilee Parade. Nordheim Brass Band (first organized 1896) has given many typical German concerts here, and through years, Pavilion has been a focal point of civic entertainment.
History
Judge Henry Clay Pleasants
Graduate, University of Virginia, admitted to bar and practiced law in Virginia until moving to Clinton, Texas, 1854. Was judge 40 years of 23rd District Court. Admired for his courage and impartiality. Despite threats against his life, called in the Texas Rangers in 1876 to bring law to De Witt County. Was elected in 1892 justice of 1st Supreme District, Galveston. Served there until his death.
History
Keller-Grunder House
German native Antone Keller (d. 1857) came to Texas in 1846 as a colonist with the German Emigration Company. He arrived with his family at the port city of Indianola (65 miles southeast), where he later opened a crockery, glassware, and grocery store. He built this house there in 1851 for his second wife Charlotte (Kuester) Keller (1824-1897).
History
Knights of Pythias Hall, Jewel Lodge No. 103
In 1864, in response to the tensions surrounding the American Civil War, Justus Henry Rathbone organized the Knights of Pythias, a fraternal order. The first Texas lodge, in Houston, was assembled in 1872; two years later, the Grand Lodge of Texas was established. In March 1889, a small group of Cuero citizens petitioned the grand lodge for a charter, becoming the Jewel Lodge No. 103. Dr. D.B.
History
Laging, H. W.
Born in Germany. Came to U.S. in 1860; settled near Brenham. Married Marie Dahse in 1867; they had 6 children. Moved to Weimar 1875, to Nordheim 1913. He served the Confederacy in the Texas Volunteer Infantry, 23rd Brigade. After Civil war, he became a successful farmer and businessman.
Military
Leonard Roy Harmon
Born in Cuero, Leonard Roy Harmon enlisted in the U.S. Navy in Houston in June 1939. After training in Norfolk, Virginia, he reported for duty on the cruiser "U.S.S. San Francisco" and advanced to mess attendant first class.