History
North Dallas High School
The city's fifth high school opened in 1922 on the far north edge of Dallas. At the time, there were three high schools for Caucasian students (Bryan Street, Oak Cliff and Forest) and one for African Americans (Booker T. Washington). The school board responded to growing enrollment with plans for a new school on John H. Cole's farm, the site of the first Texas State Fair in 1886.
History
Oak Cliff Cemetery
Kentucky native William S. Beaty came to Texas during its early days as a Republic and received a grant of 640 acres of land. He and his brother, Josiah, who arrived in 1836, settled along the Trinity River in what is now Dallas County. The settlement that developed around their property first was called Hord's Ridge and became known as Oak Cliff in 1887.
Architecture
Oak Cliff Masonic Lodge
This building was designed in 1919 by prominent Dallas architect Herbert Miller Greene. In 1923 it housed the largest Masonic temple in Texas with 1,900 members. The exterior of the building has not been changed since the 1940s when the front entry was remodeled. The 10,000-square-foot building has a basement and two large lodge rooms on the second floor, including one with 20-foot ceilings.
History
Oakland Cemetery
In 1891, O.S. Riggen (1852-1891) purchased 60 acres in rural Dallas County, outside the city limits, with the vision to establish a rural garden cemetery. Riggen succeeded in interesting others to join the venture, but died before his vision could materialize. That same year, Oakland Cemetery Company incorporated and, in 1892, purchased 60 acres each from Z.E. Coombes and W.B. Gano; W.H.
History
Oath of Office of President Johnson
Near this point on November 22, 1963, Vice-President Lyndon Baines Johnson took the oath of office as 36th President of the United States. He is the first Texan to hold the office of President. The ceremony was held in the central compartment of "Air Force One," the military aircraft assigned to the President. The plane was parked on the concrete ramp at Gate 28, east concourse of this terminal.
History
Officer J.D. Tippit
On November 22, 1963, at this intersection, Dallas police officer J.D. Tippit was murdered by Lee Harvey Oswald, 45 minutes after President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dealey Plaza. After the assassination, Oswald fled to his rooming house in Oak Cliff, in a neighborhood where Officer Tippit was assigned. While on patrol and traveling east on 10th St., having just crossed Patton St.
Nature
Old City Park
Indian tribes were once attracted to this park site by a series of natural springs, which became known as Browder Springs after Edward C. Browder (1825 - 1875) acquired the property in 1845. The springs figured in legislation which made Dallas the intersection of the Texas & Pacific and Houston & Texas Central Railroads in 1871 and launched the town's rapid growth.
History
Old Cumberland Hill School
Old Cumberland Hill School One of the first brick schools in Dallas system, this Victorian building was constructed in 1888 on the site of a pre-Civil War school organized by Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Dallas. In early decades this school drew pupils from several areas. Many students arrived each day in handsome carriages.
Architecture
Old Red Courthouse
Designated as public land in John Neely Bryan's 1844 city plat, this was the site of a log courthouse built after Dallas County was created in 1846. When Dallas won election as permanent county seat in 1850, Bryan deeded the property to the county, and a larger log structure was erected.
History
Original Site of Neiman-Marcus
On September 10, 1907, the first Neiman - Marcus store opened at this site. Established by Herbert Marcus, Sr., his sister Carrie Marcus Neiman and her husband A. L. Neiman, it was founded on the principles of innovative marketing concepts and quality merchandise.
History
Original Site of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Dallas
Original Site of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Dallas One of the first companies in the nation granted franchise rights for the distribution of Coca-Cola in bottles, the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Dallas produced the city's first bottle of Coca-Cola on this site on June 10, 1902. J.T. Lupton of Chattanooga, Tennessee, was the principal owner, with an initial investment of $5,000.
History
Parkland Hospital
Dallas first opened a city hospital on Lamar street in 1874, moving to Maple Avenue in the 1890s. In 1913, a new state of the art facility was erected, reflecting a nationwide movement toward modern medical care.
History
Parrish Family Cemetery
James and Eliza (Record) Parrish received a 640-acre Peters Colony land grant and settled here in 1853. When James died later that year, Eliza set aside one-half acre of land for a family burial ground. Since then, more than 35 members of the Parrish family have been buried here, including Eliza (d. 1918), her second husband Henry Parrish (James' brother, d.
Industry & Science
Pediatric Orthopedic Care in Texas
The effort for pediatric orthopedic care in Dallas began when the Shriners (Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine) organized a board with the idea of creating a system of charity hospitals across the U.S. Samuel P. Cochran, chairman of the board, was interested in developing a locally managed service for children with orthopedic needs in Dallas.
History
Penn Springs
This area was an important early campsite and watering spot for Indians and pioneer settlers. Two springs formed a natural pool which served as a landmark for wagon trains and cattle drives on the Shawnee Trail. In the 1850s the site was settled by the family of Maj. John Penn of Illinois, who had first visited here in 1848.
History
Perry Cemetery
This cemetery opened with the burial of Sarah Huffman (Mrs. A. W.) Perry in 1896. Nearby was the Union Baptist Church, which stood on land given by A. W. Perry. On Feb. 18, 1897, he deeded land for this cemetery -- the first burial ground associated with the town of Carrollton. After it opened, a few burials were brought from private sites and reinterred here.
History
Pierre Dusseau
Pierre Dusseau Pierre Dusseau (1800-1867) was born in Carcassone, in southern France. With a strong interest in the science of gardening, he joined the European American Society of Colonization in 1854 and set out for Texas to be the gardener for Victor Prosper Considérant's La Reunion Colony.
Civic & Local
Pike Park
The City of Dallas purchased this site in 1912-13 for a neighborhood park. Developed as Summit Play Park, it served a predominately Mexican-American community by the 1920s. The park name was changed in 1927 to honor a former park board member, Edgar L. Pike.
History
Pioneer Cemetery
The area now known as Pioneer Cemetery is composed of the remnants of four early graveyards. The graves, dating from the 1850s, include many of Dallas' early settlers and civic leaders. Two of the graveyards that now make up Pioneer Cemetery were associated with early Dallas fraternal organizations. The earliest marked grave in the section once known as the Tannehill Lodge No.
History
Pioneer Cemetery
The final resting place for many Dallas County pioneers, this cemetery began in the churchyard of Duck Creek Methodist Church, a congregation organized in the 1850s. The graveyard includes sections established by the Duck Creek Masonic Lodge (1883) and the Knights of Pythias Lodge (1900).
History
Pioneers of Mustang Branch
During the early days of settlement in the northwestern part of Dallas County, the creek that runs nearby was known as Mustang Branch. Most likely named for the mustang horses that frequented the area or for the mustang grapes that grew here. The stream provided a focal point around which some members of the Peters Colony chose to settle.
History
Pleasant Mound "Public" Cemetery
In 1640-acre survey of James Jackson Beeman (1816-88), uncle by marriage of John Neely Bryan, first settler in Dallas. Beeman came here from Illinois in 1840, helped cut first road in Trinity bottoms; name Turtle Creek, 1841; and plat city of Dallas, 1842.
History
Pleasant Mound Cemetery
At the intersection of two well-traveled pioneer roads, now Buckner Blvd. and Scyene Rd., this cemetery serves as a reflection of the heritage of this area. Burials took place on the property as early as 1869, but the first marked grave, that of William L. Knox, dates to 1881.
History
Pleasant Run
Madison Moultrie Miller (1814-60) came west from Alabama and served under W. W. "Bigfoot" Wallace in 1844-45 as a Texas Ranger. Settling here in 1846 with a motherless daughter and son, he soon married Mary (Polly) Parks Rawlins, daughter of this area's pioneer settler Roderick Rawlins.
History
Pleasant Valley Cemetery
The families of James Holland, Jacob and Drusilla Boydstun, Isaac Lowe, and Robert Ground immigrated from Illinois to this area in 1848. When the Boydstun's son, Henry, died later that year, he was buried at this site on the family farm. In 1870 the Boydstuns deeded 3.5 acres surrounding their son's grave site for cemetery, school, and church purposes.