History
Potter Cemetery
John P. (1827-1899) and Martha (Oden) (1835-1872) Potter, pioneer citizens of the Republic of Texas, bought a farm near the Haught's Store community in 1860. When their son William L. Potter died in July 1861 he was the first to be buried on this site; John Potter enlisted in the Confederate Army in the same month.
History
Preston Road
Named for Ft. Preston; built 1841 at best ford on upper Red River (N. of here). Followed pre-Columbian Indian trail. Republic of Texas staked out road to fort from Austin. "Preston Road" later served as cattle trail from ford of Trinity River at Dallas to Oklahoma border. (1968)
History
Public Education in Garland
With origins in the rural Duck Creek School, the first school in Garland opened soon after the community's establishment in 1887. Students and teachers met in temporary space until the first permanent building was erected three years later. Garland College, as the school was known, was a subscription school, charging tuition for its educational services.
History
Rawhide Creek and Park
Named for enterprise of R. J. West (b. 1811), an 1845 settler and an organizer of Dallas County in 1846. West had tanyard (4/10 mi. SW) on this creek about 1846. To meet demand, half-cured hides came from his vats, giving name "Rawhide" to the creek. The historical park was established in 1969.
History
Rawlins Homestead
In 1845 Roderick Rawlins the elder settled this area. His son Roderick A. Rawlins (1833 - 1910) married his teacher, Virginia Bledsoe, daughter of the founder of Lancaster. They started this house in 1855. After serving as a Confederate officer during the Civil War (1861-65), Capt. Rawlins rebuilt his home in the popular Greek Revival style. It stood halfway between Waxahachie and Dallas.
History
Reichenstein Home
Dallas native Jacob Reichenstein (1881 - 1950) became a leader in the city's retail lumber trade. Beginning as a clerk with Cowser and Company in 1902, he was made a partner and general manager in 1915 and president of the company three years later. This home, built for his family in 1931, was designed by Dallas architects Marion Fooshee and James Cheek.
History
Reinhardt Elementary School
Reinhardt Elementary School traces its history to the 1880s, when a small frame schoolhouse was built on the farm of John Chenault to serve children of early settlers in this vicinity. After the Santa Fe Railroad built a line through the area and erected a depot about 1885, a town evolved and was named Reinhardt for Dallas merchant Isadore Reinhardt.
History
Richardson
The town of Richardson can trace its beginning to an earlier community in this area named Breckenridge. Founded in the 1840s by settlers from Kentucky, Tennessee, and other southern states, Breckenridge was located south of present Richardson. In 1873 the Houston and Texas Central Railroad was built through Dallas County, bypassing the town of Breckenridge.
History
Robert and Marie Stubbs House
Mississippi native Robert Campbell Stubbs (1869-1927) moved to Dallas in 1887 and established a paving business with his father, George W. Stubbs. In 1897, R. C. Stubbs married Marie M. Henke (d. 1957) of Berlin, Germany. Dallas' economic growth and the coming of the automobile age after the turn of the 20th century led to a great demand for Stubbs' expertise in modern paving techniques.
History
Robert E. Lee Park
The land in this area was once part of a Republic land grant awarded to pioneer William Grigsby. The Dallas Consolidated Electric Street Railway Company bought twenty acres of the property in 1903, and in cooperation with developers Oliver P. Bowser and William H. Lemmon built Oak Lawn Park.
History
Roberts House, Dr. R. A.
A native of North Carolina, Dr. R. A. Roberts (1837 - 1906) settled in Cedar Hill in 1859. After serving as a Confederate Army surgeon he returned to this area, where he became a prominent physician and helped bring the Grand Central and Santa Fe Railroad line through Cedar Hill. Roberts built this home for his family in 1884.
History
Rocky Crest School
In 1868, Lancaster's first school for African American children opened in a former Confederate pistol factory. Soon after, 'Lancaster Colored School' on Keller Branch served 73 students. In 1906, trustees allowed adults to offer night classes if they paid for electricity. The school had multiple locations.
History
Rylie Cemetery
In 1878, John Armstrong Rylie donated land at this site for use as a school by settlers of this part of southeast Dallas County. The property came into service as a cemetery with the burial of Redden Allumbaugh in 1889. Since that time, more than 400 persons, including a number of Rylie Prairie community's earliest settlers and their descendants, have been interred here.
History
Rylie Prairie
Named for the family of James and Mary Rylie, who came to Texas from Illinois about 1846, Rylie Prairie was a thriving community in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. A post office opened in 1883, and in 1884 streets were platted near the route of the Texas Trunk Railroad.
History
Sachse
Prior to 1886, this area served as farm and ranch land for a handful of settlers. During that year, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad indicated a desire to built tracks through the vicinity and William Sachse (1820-1899) donated land for this purpose. In return, the company agreed to lay out a townsite, construct a train station, and name the stop Sachse.
History
Sacred Heart Catholic Church of Rowlett
Second Catholic church organized in Dallas County, Sacred Heart owes its origins to the devotion of an Irishman, Patrick McEntee (1846 - 1921), who came to Texas in 1874. Farmer and merchant, McEntee helped build the railroad in this area. Tradition holds that services were conducted at his home before this church was built. The parish's first baptism in 1898 was that of his grandchild.
History
Sam Bass Train Robbery
Sam Bass -- with Seab Barnes, Hank Underwood, "Arkansas" Johnson, and Frank Jackson -- held up a Texas & Pacific train here, April 10, 1878. They took $152, but missed hidden shipment of $30,000. In planning a bank robbery 3 months later, Bass was fatally shot by rangers.
Transport
Santa Fe Railroad Depot
Constructed in 1901 by the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad, and designed by a railroad systems engineer. Replaced an earlier depot built when the city of Garland was founded in 1888. No exterior alterations were made, and only a waiting room partition and restroom facilities were added inside. Served in early years as a shipping point for farm produce.
Architecture
Schulze House
In 1912 Charles P. Schulze (1877 - 1957) contracted with builder A. Fred Joffre to construct this one-story cypress-clad bungalow as a residence for himself and his wife, Virginia Tucker (1886 - 1966). Schulze, who owned and operated the Irving Lumber Company, was the brother of Irving co-founder J. O. Schulze.
History
Scyene Road, Old
Once a buffalo trail, Scyene Road was one of the earliest roads in Dallas County. It linked the community of Scyene with Dallas, one day's journey by wagon to the west, and with Jefferson and Shreveport to the east. Named for a town in ancient Egypt, Scyene was settled in the 1840s and 1850s. During the 1870s, Belle Starr and other outlaws, including Jesse James, lived here and traveled this road.
History
Shady Grove Cemetery
In 1877 Louis H. Caster (1826 - 1908) deeded one acre for a community graveyard, church, and schoolhouse. His son-in-law Lewis Dowd gave further acreage in 1888. Once a center of social life for the pioneer families of Shady Grove, the church and school have been relocated. The cemetery remains in use. Oldest of the 450 marked graves is dated 1878.
History
Shady Grove Road Bridge
The Trinity River has played an important part in the history of Dallas County. Early navigation projects were instrumental in the area's economic development. Heavy rains often caused the river to overflow its banks and after a disastrous flood in 1908 officials began flood control planning.
History
Shelton's Bear Creek Cemetery
African Americans came to this area as slaves of white settlers such as William Haley and William Borah before 1845. The land around this site was deeded to early white settler Chilton Smith in 1851. After the Civil War, many former slaves stayed in the area and formed a large African American settlement.
History
Site of Confederate Arms Factory
Site of Confederate Arms Factory Established by Joseph H. Sherrard, William L. Killem, Pleasant Taylor and John M. Crockett in 1862 to manufacture pistols for the State of Texas.
History
Site of First Ferry and Bridge
(About 300 feet West) First ferry on the Trinity River at Dallas was started here, 1842, by John Neely Bryan (1810 - 1877), the founder of Dallas. Alexander Cockrell (1820 - 1858), early builder and developer, replaced ferry with wooden toll bridge, 1854. This crossing played an important part in the development of the city. (1968)