History
Long Creek Cemetery
Capt. A. Webb, veteran of the Black Hawk War in Illinois, established a homestead near here as part of the Mercer Colony in the mid-19th century. He was joined later by father-in-law and War of 1812 veteran Benjamin Crownover and his family. In 1855, Crownover's daughter Leona Caldwell was the first laid to rest in this field beneath a pecan tree. Capt.
History
Love Field
Love Field Believing the city's success was linked to its transportation system, Dallas leaders made early efforts to secure a future within the burgeoning field of aviation. Oak Cliff resident Frank McCarroll made his first flight in 1903. In 1910, he and the Dallas Chamber of Commerce organized a State Fair air show and attracted thousands of viewers.
History
Loving, James and Margaret
James and Margaret Loving 1811 - 1869) (1820 - 1877) The sixteenth family in Dallas County. Came by covered wagon and flatboat from Kentucky to Texas in 1843 as members of the Peters Colony. Arrived in Dallas County (then unorganized) in 1844. On a 640-acre grant (2 mi. east) from Mercer's Colony, they built log cabin, raised corn, wove cloth, and boiled soil from salt lick to make own salt.
History
Lowrey-Hurst Homestead
Tennessee native James Barker Lowrey (b. 1823) came to Texas in 1859 with his wife, Elizabeth (Hunter), and their children. In 1881 he purchased this 124-acre tract of land. Three years later Lowrey conveyed title to the property to his second son, Nicholas (d. 1897), who continued his father's farming and cattle raising practices.
Historical Markers
Majestic Theatre
In his determination to provide entertainment for the entire family, theatre pioneer and innovator Karl St. John Hoblitzelle (1879 - 1967) built this structure in 1921 to house Dallas' Majestic Theatre. The five-story, five-bay, Beaux Arts structure was designed by Chicago architect John Eberson.
History
Maple Avenue
One of twelve subdivisions of the North Dallas Improvement Company. Maple Avenue was developed after a streetcar line was extended to this area north of the growing city of Dallas in 1884. Many leading citizens built elegant Victorian mansions along this avenue. Among these were the manager of the "Dallas Morning News.
Architecture
Mark and Maybelle Lemmon House
Designed by Mark Lemmon in 1924 for his own family, this house reflects an interest in Norman architecture he developed while serving in France during World War I. Lemmon and his wife Maybelle (Reynolds) supported many civic organizations in Dallas. Recognized as one of Texas' premier historicist architects, Lemmon designed academic, religious and institutional buildings throughout the state.
History
Marsh Cemetery
In 1844, Harrison C. Marsh (1805-1889) and his wife, Mary "Polly" (Raymond) (1810-1888), natives of Harrison County, Kentucky, came from Independence, Missouri to Texas with their five children. They settled in Peters Colony on Farmers Branch Creek. Here they had two more children, and Harrison raised stock and farmed the land.
History
Martin Luther King Jr. at SMU
SMU students were becoming more active in civil rights when at least 50 traveled from Dallas to march from Selma to Montgomery in March 1965. A few months later, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. accepted an invitation to the campus from the SMU Student Senate. On March 17, 1966, he spoke to a crowd of 2,700 at McFarlin Auditorium.
History
McCree Cemetery
The first land for this cemetery was granted by Mahulda Bonner McCree in 1866. At least two burials, for John Henry Jones (d. 1862) and Elizabeth McCullough (d. 1864), occurred before the graveyard was formally deeded. Over the years, the cemetery has been enlarged to cover over 3 acres.
Nature
McKamy Spring
Before any European or American settlers entered Texas, Native American tribes passed through the Richardson area and likely camped around what is now known as McKamy Spring. These tribes met with settlers, one of the friendliest being the Yoiuane (later absorbed by the Tonkawa), Comanche, Kickapoo, Seminoles and Cherokee around North Texas may have also used McKamy Spring, one of the few natural…
History
Merrell Cemetery
Elder Eli Merrell (1787 - 1849), minister of the Disciples of Christ Church, came with his wife, Mary, in 1844, to settle 640 acres near Bachman's Branch in what was then Nacogdoches County. This cemetery is on a part of his acreage, and his was the first marked grave at this site. The Merrell Cemetery originally served pioneers from the surrounding area.
History
Mesquite Cemetery
This burial ground was in use well before the Texas and Pacific railroad established the city of Mesquite in 1873. The earliest marked grave is that of Britanna Santifee Chapman (1856-1859), who shares a plot with pioneer residents Davis G. Chapman (1824-1881) and wife, Nancy C. (1828-1912). In 1890, local builder and civic leader Louis C.
History
Miller Log Cabin
Built 1847 of cedar logs hewn by hand adzes, pegged in place and caulked with clay. Floored with hand-hewn cedar boards. Chimney stones were quarried near Mountain Creek. First Texas home of Wm. B. Miller (1807 - 1899), who built ante-bellum mansion "Millermore." His 5 daughters, and 7 other local girls went to one of the first schools in Dallas, held in this cabin.
History
Millermore
William Brown Miller (1807 - 1899) moved from Missouri to Texas in 1847 with his family. In 1855-62 he built this house on his farm east of Dallas. His twelfth child, Minera (1865 - 1960), inherited the house and named it Millermore. Her husband, Barry Miller (1864 - 1933), was a Lieutenant Governor of Texas. Herein lived also their daughter, Evelyn Miller Crowell, author of "A Texas Childhood.
History
Moorland YMCA Building
In 1928, the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) of Dallas recognized a growing need for expanded facilities across the city. In the African American neighborhood of North Dallas, citizens raised $75,000 ($25,000 more than their goal) in contributions for a planned YMCA on Flora Street.
History
Mount Calvary Cemetery
Pioneer settlers used this site for burials as early as the 1840s. The oldest known grave is that of Amanda L. Houx (1829 - 1847). In 1868 William Huffhines donated a two-acre tract, which included the early graves, to Mount Calvary Baptist Church. A frame church building stood here until 1885, when the congregation moved to Richardson and later became the First Baptist Church.
History
Mount Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church
Mount Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church, affectionately known as 'The Rock,' and established in 1864, is the oldest African American church in Dallas County. The church was named for the mountain peak from which Moses viewed the promised land. Reverend Robert F.
Transport
Mountain Creek Interurban Bridge
In the spring of 1930, an eight-mile spur for the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad was needed to provide rail access to the West Dallas Industrial District to transport materials to the main line near Westmoreland Rd. and Illinois Ave.
Architecture
Munger Place Methodist Church
Organized in 1914, this church has served the Munger Place and East Dallas communities with a variety of programs. A neighborhood landmark, this sanctuary was built in 1925 during the pastorate of the Rev. George M. Gibson. Designed in the English Gothic style by prominent Dallas architect C. D.
History
Music Room
Following a Duncanville town meeting in 1887 in which opposition to building a new school was high due to the possibility of increased taxes, six citizens donated funds to construct the school. The following year Robert N. Daniel donated money for a music room to be added to the property. It was constructed as a separate building and housed a piano for music instruction.
Architecture
Nance Farm
Otway Bird Nance (1805 - 1874) brought his family here from Kentucky in 1851 and bought this land through the Peters Colony in 1856. Begun in the 1850s, this residence was later enlarged and Victorian detailing added. It originally faced north but was rotated in the early 1900s to face east. Near the farmhouse, a barn, curing shed, and an elevated water tank have been preserved.
History
Near Homesite of Belle Boyd
(1844 - 1900) Famous as a Confederate spy during the Civil War, Marie Isabella Boyd resided at a stately colonial mansion near this site in the 1880s. One of the most effective of spies, the slender, blonde girl was only 17 when the Civil War began in 1861.
Industry & Science
Neiman-Marcus
In 1907 Herbert Marcus, Sr., his sister Carrie Marcus Neiman and her husband A. L. Neiman founded the prestigious Neiman - Marcus retail establishment. After the firm's first store at Elm and Murphy streets burned in 1913, a new store was constructed at this site. Many of the retail innovations instituted here have had a dramatic effect on stores and manufacturers throughout the country.
History
Nicholas Henry Darnell
Nicholas Henry Darnell (April 20, 1807 - June 7, 1885) Soon after arriving in Texas in 1838, Nicholas Darnell was elected to the Republic of Texas Congress, where he served as Speaker of the House. A delegate to the 1845 Statehood Convention, he later represented Dallas and Tarrant counties in the State Legislature, again serving as speaker. He resigned in 1863 to lead the 18th Texas Cavalry.