History
Eagle Ford Community
The Eagle Ford Community developed just east of an important early crossing on the west fork of the Trinity River. Among the early settlers of the area was the family of Enoch Horton (1777 - 1851). Arriving in November 1844, they established several large farms. James Horton (1818 - 1876) built the Eagle Ford Grist Mill and donated land in 1857 for the nearby Horton Cemetery.
History
Edgewood Cemetery
Earliest grave here is that of Lizzie Richardson, a pioneer child who died in the summer of 1845. The site for the cemetery was chosen by Roderick Rawlins, one of the area's first settlers; he was buried here in 1848. Among the graves in the older section is that of James Lemon, veteran of the American Revolution, who died on July 4, 1858.
History
Everard Sharrock, Jr. Farmstead
This farmstead was part of the first settlement in north Texas, the Peters Colony. William Smalling Peters received a land grant in 1841 to help populate the newly-formed Republic of Texas. The Sharrock family moved from Illinois. After receiving 640 acres, Everard Sharrock, Jr. (1826-1913) built his homestead here in 1847.
History
F.A. Brown Farm Home
F. A. Brown Farm Home Situated on the Peters Colony headright granted to Calvin G. Cole in 1854, this frame Victorian farmhouse was built before 1885, when Francis Asbury Brown (1836 - 1922) purchased it along with 200 acres of farmland. His son Ernest (1868 - 1943) later occupied the residence and operated a dairy farm. Preserved by Ernest Brown's daughter and son-in-law, Anna and William T.
History
Fire and Lynchings of 1860
On July 8, 1860, the temperature in Dallas reached 115 degrees. A combustible fire beginning outside of W.W. Peak and Brothers drugstore destroyed most of downtown. At the time, national tensions ran high over the right to enslave human beings. Many were driven by suspicion of Northern abolitionists and a rush to judgment.
History
First Baptist Church
(The First Baptist Church in Dallas) Organized 1868; first building (1871) on this site was one-room frame structure, which members financed by weaving rugs, making hominy, preserves, and cheese to sell at fairs near Dallas, then a frontier town of 2,500. Section of Victorian-style, red brick building was erected 1890; is only downtown Dallas Church still on original site. George W.
Civic & Local
First Juries to Sit Women in Dallas County
Although the ratification of the 19th amendment to the U.S. Constitution granted women the right to vote in 1920, women were not permitted to serve on juries in Texas until 1954. Efforts to add women to jury lists began soon after passage of the 19th amendment , when it became clear that the right of jury service would not be granted to women along with the right of suffrage.
History
First United Methodist Church of Cedar Hill
The first church occupied by this congregation was destroyed by a tornado in 1856, two years after the fellowship was organized. A frame building was erected in 1883 on a lot adjacent to this site. It was replaced in 1900 by this structure. Typical of many churches that once dominated the countryside, this edifice has an off-center entry tower and Gothic detailing.
History
Five Mile Cemetery
Abraham and Lucy (Myers) Bast and their seven children moved here from Kentucky to join the Peters Colony. In 1859, Abraham Bast donated one acre for a nondenominational church and school on the south side of Five Mile Creek. The adjacent burial ground may have been used in the 1840s, but the earliest known graves are those of Bast and Arthur Ledbetter from 1859.
History
Flippen Homestead and the Founding of Highland Park
To fulfill his dream for an exclusive residential neighborhood north of Dallas, Col. John S. Armstrong in 1906 purchased 1,350 acres of land in this area, including the "Lomo Alto" Horse Farm, and secured the services of Beverly Hills' landscape architect Wilbur David Cook to lay out the suburb. Upon Armstrong's death in 1908, the Flippen-Prather Realty Co.
Architecture
Florence Ranch Home
David W. (1848 - 1932) and Julia Savannah (Beaty) Florence (1850 - 1914) built the first portion of this ranch house in 1871-72 after moving here from Van Zandt County. Elaborate wood trim decorates the gallery of the simple frame structure. The house was enlarged by the 1890s, when the Florence homestead covered 730 acres.
History
Ford Cemetery
Pinkney Harold Ford (1831-1901) was the leader of a Kentucky family who migrated to Texas in 1855. They settled in the area of North Arlington, then known as the Watson Community. John J. Goodwin held the original patent to this cemetery property. The oldest marked grave is that of Maria Trayler (b. 1799), who died in 1858.
History
Former Site of Head House
Former Site of the Head House Lucy Frances Jeffries (1840 - 1931) of Virginia married Henry Head, and while bringing up their four children discovered her talent for cooking. From 1891 to 1918, in her large home on this site, Mrs. Head operated a boarding house famous for good food such as fried chicken, popovers, cakes, pies, and ambrosia.
Museums & Art
Frank Reagh
Artist Frank Reagh (1860-1945), who immortalized the Texas longhorn, began sketching and studying his favorite subject in 1876 when he and his parents, George W. and Clarinda Reaugh, moved from Illinois to Kaufman County. He studied art in St. Louis and Europe but returned to the Texas prairie for inspiration.
History
Freedman's Cemetery
This area of Dallas County was settled by former African American slaves shortly after the conclusion of the American Civil War. Freedman's Cemetery, a graveyard for African Americans, was established in 1869 on one acre of land purchased by trustee Sam Eakins. Another 3 acres was acquired for cemetery purposes in 1879 by trustees A. Wilhite, Frank Read, A. Boyd, T.
History
Fuget Cemetery
This property was part of a 640-acre tract of land patented to Peters colonists Rowland and Anna Huitt (also Hewitt) in 1843. The Huits immigrated to this area from Arkansas, and in 1847 Rowland became the second sheriff of Dallas County by filling the unexpired term of his brother John, who died that year. The oldest marked grave, that of J. H.
History
Galloways' Old Home Place
Farmhouse of Confederate veteran Benjamin Franklin Galloway (1833 - 1912) and wife Eliza (Fletcher), who came from Tennessee. They built first three rooms, 1875-76; Galloway enlarged house, 1888. Fourth generation of the family now preserves home. RTHL - 1973
History
Garland
Settlement of this area began in the 1840s. A small community named Duck Creek was established and by 1846 a log cabin was serving as a community center, school, and Union Church. Early businesses included a general store, grist mill, and cotton gin. In 1886 The Gulf, Colorado, & Santa Fe Railroad built a line through Dallas County, passing about one mile east of Duck Creek.
History
Garland Lodge No. 441, A.F. & A.M.
In 1873 the Grand Lodge of Texas granted Masons in the pioneer community of Duck Creek (present day Garland) dispensation to form their own lodge. The first Lodge hall, which the Masons shared with two other organizations, was destroyed in a windstorm in 1874. Duck Creek Lodge No. 441 was issued a permanent charter in 1875.
History
Garvin Memorial Cemetery
This burial ground served the pioneer families who settled in the area. Graves here date from the 1870s. The land for the cemetery was donated to the community by James G. Garvin (1830-1897), a former Dallas merchant, his wife Eliza, and brothers Col. William L. Crawford (1839-1920) and Judge M. L. Crawford (1841-1910), prominent attorneys of the county.
Military
General Richard M. Gano (C.S.A.)
Organized Tarrant County Grapevine Volunteers known as Gano's Squadron. Entered 2nd Kentucky Cavalry, C.S.A. in Tennessee. In Morgan's 1st and 2nd Kentucky raids. Made Colonel in command of 7th Kentucky Cavalry. Fought in Tullahoma, Tenn. Campaign 1863. Brigadier General of Gano's Brigade of Texas Frontier Cavalry fighting in Arkansas, campaign 1864.
History
General Richard M. Gano House
J. T. Morehead built this dogtrot cabin near Grapevine in Tarrant County in 1854. Later two rooms and a loft were added and the logs covered with siding. In 1857 the property was sold to R. M. Gano (1830 - 1913), a doctor, minister, and Confederate general. It housed his family until after the Civil War (1861-65). They later settled in Dallas. The structure was again remodeled after Gano sold it.
History
Gilbert House
Dr. Samuel H. Gilbert (1828 - 1890) came to Texas about 1850. He settled first in Cass County, and in 1852 married Julia Ann Ritchie (d. 1881) Gilbert purchased 275 acres of land at this site about 1855 and by 1857 had this native limestone house constructed. In addition to his medical practice, Dr. Gilbert operated a farm here, growing vegetable crops and raising livestock.
Civic & Local
Giving Community Thanks
Thanksgiving is man's response to his Creator. In an unusual early expression of interfaith good will, a rabbi, a priest, and Protestant ministers started in 1907 at Bush Temple in Dallas a community worship service of thanksgiving which continued until 1918. The 100th anniversary of Dallas in 1941 was a service of thanksgiving and dedication in the Hall of State at Fair Park.
History
Good Samaritan Hospital (Leland Avenue)
The Good Samaritan Hospital served Dallas residents at this location on Leland Avenue for approximately 25 years. Martha Schultze, a registered nurse, opened the facility c. 1920. Schultze received nursing training in her native country, Germany, before immigrating to the United States. She worked in private duty nursing and in hospitals for twelve years before opening Good Samaritan Hospital.