Industry & Science
Continental Gin Company Showroom Building
Before moving to Dallas in 1885, farmer and inventor Robert Sylvester Munger (b. 1854) had received several patents for improvements on the cotton ginning procedure. In 1885, he and his brother, Stephen, began the Munger Improved Cotton Machine & Manufacturing Co. and used this building as their showroom. In 1900, they merged with the Continental Gin Co.
History
Cox House
Farmers Howard (1837 - 1916) and Mary Jane (Webb) Cox (1843 - 1913) bought 189 acres here in 1878. They built a house at this site prior to 1884 that Cox family tradition claims was partially incorporated into this home built by the Coxes about 1900. Exhibiting Queen Anne style influences, it is an unusual blend of vertically emphasized windows and dormers with a dominant hipped roof.
History
Cristler-Rodgers House
Constructed in 1923, this was originally the home of Dr. J. H. Cristler, who came to Dallas in 1911 after assisting in the organization of Childress County. Beginning in 1938, the home was occupied by Dr. Cristler's daughter, Edna, and her husband, J. Woodall Rodgers, Mayor of Dallas from 1939 to 1947.
History
Crockett, John McClannahan
(December 26, 1816 - August 4, 1887) South Carolina native John M. Crockett married Katherine (Kate) Polk in 1837. In 1848 they moved to Dallas where Crockett opened one of the pioneer settlement's first law offices. Crockett served as a state legislator, mayor of Dallas, and meteorological observer for the Smithsonian Institution in the 1850s, and as lt.
History
Dallas Baby Camp
By the middle of the 19th century, medicine in the United States was developing; however, the field of pediatrics lagged behind. In 1872, Texas passed a State Medical Practice Act but failed to mention the pediatric specialty. As late as 1885, Dallas' only public hospital facility was a small frame building on Lamar Street, known as City Hospital. By 1897, Reverend R.C.
Architecture
Dallas City Hall, 1914-1978
In May 1910 Dallas officials determined that the City Hall, then situated on the northwest corner of Commerce and Akard Streets, had become too small to serve adequately the city's population of over 90,000. They sold the property to Adolphus Busch, who built the Adolphus Hotel at that site. A number of locations were considered for the new municipal facility before C. C.
History
Dallas County
Dallas County The unincorporated town of Dallas was designated as a post office by the Republic of Texas in 1843. The County of Dallas was created by the first Legislature of Texas on March 30, 1846 from portions of Robertson and Nacogdoches counties.
History
Dallas County
Dallas County After Texas became a Republic in 1836, the Trinity River separated Robertson County to the west and Nacogdoches County to the east. This area, called "Three Forks" for the confluence of three branches of the Trinity, was settled mainly by Peters colonists after 1841. A town named Dallas was on this site by 1842.
History
Dallas County Criminal Courts Building
Dallas County Criminal Courts Building This site was purchased by Dallas County in 1913 for a new jail and courts building, designed by local architect H. A. Overbeck (1861 - 1942). The steel-framed building, finished in 1915 at a cost of $585,982, is clad with granite, terra cotta, and brick, exhibiting Renaissance Revival styling. The upper six floors housed the jail, designed for 200 prisoners.
Architecture
Dallas County Records Building
Dallas County Records Building Designed by the prominent Dallas architectural firm of Lang and Witchell, this Gothic Revival style building was erected in 1927-28 to house Dallas County records, offices, and courtrooms. First known as the Hall of Records, the current name was adopted when the facilities were enlarged during the 1950s.
History
Dallas Hall (SMU)
DALLAS HALL, SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY When Dallas was selected in 1911 as the site for a new Methodist university, local citizens pledged 622.5 acres of land and $300,000. In appreciation, the first building on campus was named Dallas Hall. SMU President Robert S. Hyer chose the Chicago Branch of Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge to design the Hall.
History
Dallas Morning News
THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS On Oct. 1, 1885, "The Dallas Morning News" began publication as the North Texas extension of A. H. Belo's "Galveston News." The two publications were linked by telegraph to exchange information, and they maintained a statewide network of correspondents. Col.
Architecture
Dallas Scottish Rite Temple
Dallas Scottish Rite Temple Samuel P. Cochran (1855 - 1936), a prominent Mason and community leader, headed the committee that initiated plans for this building in 1902. Masonic officials assembled for the cornerstone laying in March 1907 and for the dedication ceremony in April 1913. Herb Miller Greene and J. B. Hubble, both Lodge members, designed the Neo-classical structure.
Entertainment & Sports
Dallas Symphony
The Dallas Symphony Early efforts to establish a symphony orchestra in Dallas began in 1899 with the formation of the Dallas Symphony Club. It was a short-lived effort, but in 1911 the city's first professional orchestra was established under the Dallas Symphony Orchestra name.
Entertainment & Sports
Dallas Zoo
The Dallas Zoo traces its history to 1888, when the city purchased two deer and two mountain lions and placed them in pens in the City Park. In the 1890s, with the support of Dallas citizens, the City Council provided funds for the zoo, and additional animals were bought for the collection.
History
Daniel Family Cemetery
Frances Sims Daniel (1796 - 1853) moved to Dallas County with her family in 1849 and purchased land in what is now University Park. An orchard planted near the Daniel home became the site of a family cemetery in 1850 when "Old Frank," a family slave for over forty years, was buried there.
History
Daniel Webster Gilbert, M. D.
(1854 - 1930) Mississippi native D. W. Gilbert came to Texas in 1874. Graduated from Missouri Medical College in 1881, he began his practice in Euless and Grapevine. In 1884 he moved to Sowers, purchased 1500 acres of farmland, planted a peach orchard and operated a dairy. He relocated to Irving in 1903, becoming one of the area's first physicians and a civic leader.
History
David Myers
(October 15, 1797 - March 9, 1853) William Myers (b. 1753) and his wife Flora moved from Virginia to Kentucky, where the last of their ten children, David Myers, was born. David married fellow Kentuckian Letitia Reddish (1801 - 1885) in 1820. They moved to Indiana in 1829 and to Illinois in 1831, where David became a well-established Baptist Preacher.
History
Dawdy's Ferry
Illinois native Alanson Dawdy (1826 - 1901) came to Dallas County in 1847. In 1854, he was granted a license to operate a ferry at this site on the Trinity River, the southernmost crossing at the time. An important route for citizens living on both sides of the river, the ferry continued in operation until about 1876.
Architecture
DeGolyer House
A native of Greensboro, Kansas, Everette Lee DeGolyer (1886-1956) participated in major oil exploration successes in Mexico while still a student at the University of Oklahoma. Returning to complete his degree, he married Nell Virginia Goodrich (1886-1972) of Norman, Oklahoma. DeGolyer became a world renowned petroleum geologist and rare book collector.
Industry & Science
Demonstration of the First Working Integrated Circuit
The twentieth-century age of electronics can trace its roots to the 1906 invention of the triode vacuum tube, which marked the birth of modern radio. The invention of the transistor after World War II ushered in a new era of solid-state electronics.
History
Dr. Frank E. Rutherford Veterinary Hospital
This building was erected about 1924 to house the veterinary practice of Dr. Frank E. Rutherford (1876-1932), who began practicing in east and south Dallas in about 1906. When Dr. Rutherford died in 1932, his son-in-law graduated from veterinary school and assumed ownership of the practice; Rutherford's widow Nell retained title to the building until her death in 1975.
History
Dr. H. V. Copeland Home
Dr. H. V. Copeland Home Early Grand Prairie resident Barney P. Hale and his wife Ruth built this home for their family in 1902. The white clapboard residence, which features narrow windows and a high-pitched roof, is typical of early area farmhouses. In 1908 the Hales sold their home to local physician Dr. Horace Victor Copeland (1875 - 1969).
History
Dr. Marcellus Clayton Cooper
In 1896, Dallas native Marcellus Clayton Cooper (1862-1929) became the first licensed African American dentist in the state of Texas. Born enslaved on the Caruth farm, Cooper attended Meharry Medical School in Nashville from 1891-94. He returned to Dallas with his dental license to begin his practice. He was well known in the city for his exceptional work and his contributions to the community.
History
Duncanville
This area was first settled in the 1840s and 1850s by pioneer farmers and ranchers. In 1881 the Chicago, Texas & Mexican Central Railroad extended a line here and constructed a switching station. John Duncan, who lived in the vicinity, was instrumental in securing railroad right-of-way. As a result, the area became known as Duncan Switch. Charles P.