History
Governor W. Lee O'Daniel
(March 11, 1890 - May 11, 1969) Born in Ohio, Wilbert Lee O'Daniel moved to Texas in 1925. A flour mill executive, he pioneered in radio advertising and country music. His "Hillbilly Boys" theme song resulted in his nickname "Pappy." In his first try for public office he won a primary over 12 oponents and became Governor of Texas (1938).
History
Governor W. Lee O'Daniel
(March 11, 1890 - May 11, 1969) A native of Ohio, Wilbert Lee "Pappy" O'Daniel grew up in Kansas. He moved to Ft. Worth in 1925 as sales manager of a flour-milling company. There he became a radio personality and promoter of a western band, the Light Crust Doughboys.
Nature
Grapevine Springs Park
The Grapeving Springs, which flow into the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, have attracted visitors for more than 2,000 years. In 1843, Republic of Texas President Sam Houston camped here during treaty negotiations with Native Americans. The treaty was later signed at Bird's Fort.
History
Greenwood Cemetery
Greenwood Cemetery was part of a Republic of Texas grant, called the John Grigsby League, given for service in the Battle of San Jacinto. W. H. Gaston, pioneer Dallas banker, acquired title to the site in 1874, after the noted local legal battle, "The Grigsby Cases," and founded Trinity Cemetery. Greenwood Cemetery Association assumed operation in 1896.
History
Haley Memorial Cemetery
William Haley (1831 - 1908) and his wife Lucinda Catherine (1834 - 1875) came to Texas from Missouri in 1857. They established a farm in this area and later operated a general store. When Lucinda Haley died in 1875, a one-acre site on the family farm was set aside as a cemetery. Through the years more members of the Haley and related families were interred in the graveyard.
Architecture
Hall of State
Construction of this building, which served as the focal point of the 1936 Texas Centennial Central Exposition, was approved by the State Legislature to be "Texanic in proportion and centennial in character." Designed by a team of Dallas architects, it is built of native Texas materials with ornamental representations of commerce and history.
History
Hamilton Park Community
Located ten miles north of downtown Dallas, the African American community of Hamilton Park began as the White Rock Farming Settlement. In the 1940s and 1950s, racial violence in the South Dallas community of Queen City and the discriminatory displacement of African American residents for the new Love Field Municipal Airport resulted in the need for many of these families to move outside of the…
History
Harris-Savage Home
The roots of the Harris-Savage House go back to 1843, when pioneers William W. Cochran (1807-1853), the first Dallas County Clerk, and his wife, Nancy Jane Hughes (1817-1877), lived in Peters Colony. Their grandson, William (Will) Randolph Harris (1877-1948), was born in Farmers Branch in Dallas County. After graduating high school, Will studied law under his first cousin R.E.L. Knight and J.L.
Architecture
Herfurth House
Accompanying the agricultural boom in the late 19th century was the influx of immigrant German and Swiss farm families to the northeastern portion of Dallas County. Among the German families buying farms near Rowlett was Johann Christian Herfurth (1835-1914) and his wife, Anna Barbara Etter (1842-1925).
Architecture
Higginbotham-Bailey Building
Designed by noted Dallas architectural firm of Lang and Witchell, this building was constructed to house the dry goods manufacturing and distributing business of the Higginbothham - Bailey - Logan Co. (known as Higginbotham - Bailey after 1945). The western section was completed in 1914, and additional sections were constructed in 1917 and 1923.
History
Higginbotham-Pearlstone Building
Constructed in 1909, this building was first occupied in 1910 by the Hobson Electric company. The warehouse was next leased to the Maroney Hardware Company, which was bought in 1926 by Rufus W. Higginbotham and Hyman Pearlstone, owners of the Higginbotham - Pearlstone Wholesale Hardware Company, which was located here until 1977.
Architecture
Highland Park Methodist Church Building
This splendid example of Gothic Revival architecture was designed by architects Roscoe DeWitt and Mark Lemmon and built in 1926. It features a majestic bell tower that houses a 48-bell carillon, elegant stone tracery on pointed arch stained glass windows, and slender buttresses. Large harmonious additions to the original structure were built between 1950 and 1961.
Architecture
Hilton Hotel
Designed by the architectural firm of Lang and Witchell, this hotel was built in 1925 for Conrad Hilton, and was the first to bear the Hilton name. The hotel advertised comfortable guest rooms and superior service at moderate prices. The fourteen-story, U-plan brick-clad building features elaborate terra cotta details at the two entries. Operated by A. C.
History
Hoblitzelle, Karl St. John
(October 22, 1879 - March 8, 1967) A young Missourian, Karl Hoblitzelle in 1904 helped produce the St. Louis World's Fair, where he gained respect for vaudeville. In 1905 he founded Interstate Amusement Company and opened theatres in Dallas, Fort Worth, Waco, and San Antonio. Soon he had theatres from Texas to Alabama. The Majestic Theatre was his headquarters for many years.
History
Hockaday School
Ela Hockaday (1875 - 1956) received her early education in the public schools of Bonham, Texas. After graduating from the Denton Normal School (now University of North Texas), she pursued graduate studies at both Columbia University and the University of Chicago.
History
Hutchins Memorial Cemetery
Hutchins began as a trading post for settlers along the western bank of the Trinity River. This site was used as a cemetery for many years before it was platted in 1895. The earliest marked burial in the graveyard is that of Alonzo B. Clark, who died in 1875 at age eleven. Several generations of area pioneer families are represented here.
History
Interstate Forwarding Company Warehouse
Designed and built as a fireproof warehouse in 1913, this building was erected by businessmen B. D. Milam and E. C. Connor. Dallas was an official U.S. Port of Entry in 1913. This structure initially served as the first bonded customs warehouse in Dallas. Exhibiting Chicago School-style influences, the reinforced concrete structure features metal casement window walls with brick infill.
History
James K. Polk Record
(Oct. 29, 1834 - Jan. 16, 1872) Educated in Tennessee as a lawyer, J. K. P. Record became the District Attorney for Dallas in 1860. He left that office to serve in the Confederate Army during the Civil War, but returned here after the conflict. In 1866 he became a state Senator and served as a delegate to the Texas Constitutional Convention of 1866.
History
James W. Latimer (Weck)
(1783 - 1860) Latimer was born in New London, Conn. Moved to Texas, with family, in 1833. Founder and editor first newspaper in Dallas, 1849. Known originally as "The Cedar Snag" then as "Dallas Herald." Incorporated into "Dallas Morning News" in 1885. Recorded, 1968
History
Jane Elkins
Jane Elkins is significant to Dallas County and statewide history. Born into slavery around 1800, she was the first documented enslaved person purchased in Dallas County, which was created by the Texas Legislature in 1846. On March 17, 1844, Edward Welborn transferred ownership of Jane to John Young for $400.
Architecture
Joffre-Gilbert House
One of Irving's best known early builders, A. Fred Joffre, and his wife built this airplane bungalow in 1919 in the original Irving townsite. Their daughter sold the home in 1936. Pioneer doctor Franklin Monroe Gilbert and his wife Dorothy, a nurse, purchased it in 1939.
History
John C. McCoy
(1819 - 1887) Practiced law in Kentucky before coming to Texas in 1845. Was agent for Peters' Colony located in Dallas and adjacent counties. First attorney to practice law here. He founded bar association; fought in the Mexican War; was outstanding civic leader. Recorded - 1968
History
John C. Pelt
John C. Pelt (1877-1948) was born in Ellis County. After his father's death in 1880, his mother, Sarah (Seymour) remarried. He moved to Duncanville to live with his paternal Aunt Anna and her husband, Charles Barker. In 1896, he wed Lee Olah Grounds (1879-1964) with whom he had several children.
Architecture
John Hickman Miller House
Dallas businessman John Hickman Miller (d. 1933) had this house built in 1904 as a wedding gift for his wife Katherine "Kitty" (Melone) (d. 1969) Miller was the son of pioneer area settler William B. Miller, owner of Millermore (in Old City Park). This house is one of the few examples of shingle-style architecture remaining in Texas.
History
John Neely Bryan, 1810-1877 and Margaret Beeman Bryan, 1825-1919
In 1839 Tennessee lawyer John Neely Bryan chose this high bluff and shallow ford on the Trinity River as site for a trading post. Finding Indians scarce when he returned in 1841, he platted a town, installed a ferry, and called the place Dallas. In the 1840s, the Republic of Texas opened its Central National Road from here to the U.S.