History
Bill and Maude Dodson House
This historic Farmers Branch residence was the home of the city's first mayor. William F. (Bill) Dodson (1895-1949), a native of Malakoff, married Maude Gilmore (1896-1998) in Fort Worth in July 1917. The following May, Bill became a private in the 36th Infantry Division, serving in France's Meuse-Argonne sector during the First World War The Dodsons'son Smith was born in November 1918.
History
Blewett Cemetery
Established for family and community burials by the Rev. George L. Blewett, this cemetery was first used in 1855 after the death of his daughter Ann. A Cumberland Presbyterian minister, Blewett had come to Texas in 1853 with his family and other pioneers from Kentucky. Nine of the Blewett children are buried here, as are George (d. 1884) and his wife, Nancy (d. 1903).
Nature
Browder Springs
Named for Browder family originally owning this site. Springs played key role in founding of Dallas and were principal source of water before a pumping system with city mains was installed. During drouth of 1909-10, springs were reopened to supply a million gallons of water a day. 1968
Civic & Local
Buckner Baptist Children's Home
Founded out of concern for dependent, orphaned children, this institution opened in 1879 under the guidance of the Rev. Robert Cooke Buckner (d. 1919). Originally known as Buckner Orphan's Home, the first structure on this site was built in 1880 and housed six children. By 1910 the orphanage was caring for 600 children.
History
Buckner Log Cabin
Dr. R. C. Buckner was born in this Madisonville, Tenn., cabin, Jan. 3, 1833. He moved to Texas, 1859. In 1879, founded Buckner Home. Original quarters cared for 8 children. After his death, April 9, 1919, work continued under sons, Joe D. and Hal F., and grandson, Robert Cooke Buckner II. This rough-hewn, 2-story cabin was moved here from original site, 1912, by staff and friends.
Architecture
Busch-Kirby Building
Adolphus Busch had this building constructed in 1913 as a complementary retail and office facility for his nearby Adolphus Hotel. It was acquired by the Kirby Investment Company in 1919. Designed by the St.
History
California Crossing
CALIFORNIA CROSSING (Some Five Hundred Feet North) Here thousands of 49'ers crossed Trinity River in heroic trek west--following California Gold discovery. Crossing was in shallow part of stream on Southern Transcontinental route to Pacific. Later used by stage lines, railroad; route passed through Dallas and Cedar Springs on to El Paso.
History
Carrollton Black Cemetery
Carrollton's early African-Americans, many of whom were former slaves, helped settle and build the community. By 1871, this portion of forty acres belonging to Scott Boswell, Sr., an African-American farmer, was a community cemetery. In 1915, C.B. Baxley acquired the cemetery and surrounding land.
History
Caruth Pioneer Cemetery
Established early 1860s by William and Mattie Worthington Caruth, pioneer settlers.Across road was old Caruth Chapel where circuit-riding preachers officiated at baptisms, marriages and funerals for Caruth Plantation tenants and other local people. Gravesites donated by Caruth family. 1967
History
CCC Company 850
During the Great Depression, Hicks Jobson set aside eight acres of his farm to allow the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), one of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal work relief programs, to establish a local camp. Located 1/4 mile east of Mesquite, Company 850 welcomed 250 enrollees in June 1935. The site included 24 barracks, a mess hall, health facility, bath house and recreation hall.
History
Cedar Springs
Although settlement of the town of Cedar Springs did not begin until after 1843, the area had been surveyed during the late 1830s by Colonel G. W. Cooke in preparation for construction of a military road from Austin to the Red River. In 1843, Dr. John Cole and his wife, Mary, along with their eight children, arrived in this area.
History
Cedar Springs
CEDAR SPRINGS Earliest known historic site in Dallas County Visited in 1840 by Colonel Wm. G. Cooke's preliminary exploration for a route between Austin and Red River. A community also called Cedar Springs, established in this vicinity in 1843 by Dr. John Cole, rivalled Dallas in an election in 1848 for county seat. In 1929, the land was annexed to Dallas.
History
Central National Road
During the early days of the Republic of Texas, settlers and pioneers coming from the United States entered Texas by crossing the Red River in northwest Red River County. On the north side of that crossing was the terminum of a U.S. Military Highway.
Architecture
Charles Dilbeck Homes in Cochran Heights
Charles Stevens Dilbeck (1907-1990) was the son of a builder and lumberman. He grew up in Fort Smith, Arkansas and Tulsa, Oklahoma, learning his trade from his father. He legendarily designed and built his first project, a Tulsa church, at age eleven. He moved to Dallas in 1932 to capitalize on Texas oil wealth and maintained his practice until 1969.
History
Cherokees in Dallas
Ninety Cherokee Indians, led by Chief Bowles, immigrated to this area from Arkansas Territory in 1819, but were driven out 2 years later by hostile Indians who resented the intrusion. Remnants of group signed Treaty of Sept. 29, 1843, agreeing to respect the Republic of Texas and its settlers. 1968
History
City of Cedar Hill
City of Cedar Hill Prospective settlers who traveled to this area during the 19th century were attracted to its high prairie hill and established a community here known as Cedar Hill in the late 1840s. Its early economy was based on providing support services for the surrounding farm communities.
History
City of Dallas
City of Dallas Pioneer John Neely Bryan (1810 - 1877) settled on the banks of the Trinity River just west of this site in 1841. A town he called Dallas grew up around his cabin. Chosen as county seat four years after the creation of Dallas County in 1846, the City of Dallas was incorporated in 1856, with Dr. Sam B. Pryor serving as first Mayor.
History
City of East Dallas
The first permanent settlement in this area began in the years before the Civil War. Principal among the pioneers were farmer Jefferson Peak, banker and rancher W. H. Gaston, and brothers-in-law Henry Boll and Jacob Nussbaumer, who were natives of Switzerland. The arrival of the railroads in the 1870s brought an influx of settlers to the area.
History
City of Irving
Permanent settlement in this part of Dallas County began before the Civil War with the establishment of small farming communities and supply centers. In the early years of the 20th century, while working on the construction of the Rock Island Railroad extension from Fort Worth to Dallas, two members of the survey party--its chief, J. O.
History
City of Mesquite
In May 1873, Texas & Pacific Railroad engineer A.R. Alcott platted a new depot town named Mesquite. The post office opened the following year. The community developed along the rail line, with businesses initially facing Front Street. As the town grew, business owners turned their front doors to Main Street in an effort to create a Town Square. Voters incorporated Mesquite in 1887.
History
City of Rowlett
Rowlett was first known as Morris, the name given to the post office that was established here in 1880. Austin Morris served as the first postmaster. In 1889, three years after the Greenville & Dallas Railroad (later the MK&T) was built through town, the post office's name was changed to Rowlett.
History
Civilian Conservation Corps Company 2896
Soon after President Franklin D. Roosevelt took office in 1933, he established what would become the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal program designed to address hardships during the Great Depression. In addition to providing wages, it trained young men in building trades and other skills through public improvement projects.
History
Colonel C. C. Slaughter
Christopher Columbus Slaughter was the first native born cattle king of Texas. While living on the west Texas frontier he was a ranger, Confederate beef supplier, and trail driver. His ranching empire, including the Long S and Lazy S ranches, totaled over one million acres. In the early 1870s he moved to Dallas, where he founded, and was an officer in, three early banks.
Military
Colonel William G. Cooke
To the memory of Colonel William G. Cooke and forty other members of the Regular Army, Republic of Texas, who camped in this vicinity in October, 1840 while locating the Central National Highway. The importance of this military road in the history of Dallas will not be forgotten. (Corinth Street Viaduct, Dallas)
History
Communications in Dallas
Rapid long distance communications came to Dallas in 1872 when the first telegraph lines arrived with the Houston & Central Texas Railroad. The first telephone line in Dallas ran from the city's water supply at Browder Springs to the firehouse at Harwood and Main in 1878.