History
Pantermuel House
Pioneer home of Heimrich Pantermuehl (1842 - 1921) and wife Pauline, German-born settlers of Comal County. Built about 1865, its use of limestone and native cedar is typical of small German farm cottages of this area. RTHL - 1972
History
Phoenix Saloon
Built in 1871, the original Phoenix Saloon building was a two-story brick, rock, and stucco building built by John Sippel located on the corner of west San Antonio Street and Castell Avenue. A saloon operated on the first floor under various names before it finally became the Phoenix Saloon in 1895.
History
Plumeyer Bakery Building
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, this site was home to two drugstores and a bakery. In 1913, Kathinka Clemens constructed this building to serve as a bakery for A.C. and Helen Plumeyer, who used the second floor as a residence. Known also as City Bakery, the business operated until 1926. Various businesses later occupied the building, including the B&B Poll Parrot Bootery and Mode-O-Day.
Architecture
Richard E. and Ella Sodke Kloepper House
Texas native Richard E. Kloepper and Ella Sodke married in 1906, the same year construction began on this house. A prominent local businessman, Richard was a founding member of New Braunfels State Bank, and of the local First Federal Savings and Loan Association. The couple moved from the house with their only son, Kermit, in 1911.
Entertainment & Sports
Riley's Tavern
Rileys Tavern, Hunters oldest business, is housed in a circa 1895 building that was the Galloway Saloon and later home to the Bernardino Sanchez family. In 1933, Texas was the 23rd state to vote for the repeal of Prohibition. Shortly thereafter, J.C. Riley and his uncle drove a Model T to the steps of the state capitol in Austin to obtain the first license issued in Texas number 00001.
History
Sattler
German immigrants were the first to colonize permanently this area along the Guadalupe River in the 1850s. The dispersed rural community was known at times as Marienthal, Walhalla and Mountain Valley, with the name Sattler assigned when the post office, first opened in 1856 at the Wilhelm Sattler home, was more centrally located in 1880.
History
Sattler Post Office
A founding colonist in New Braunfels, Wilhelm (William) Sattler later made his home in this area of Comal County and applied for a contract with the U.S. government for mail service. The Sattler post office was granted in 1856, with William's son Henry as first postmaster. Originally located in the Sattler house, it soon was relocated to this cabin, one of three built on the family homestead.
Architecture
Schoenthal School
Incorporated into the present structure is the Schoenthal School, built in 1872. A late example of the German fachwerk style of architecture. (1972) Incise on base: Erected by Mr. and Mrs. W. N. Deason, Jr. and family.
History
Site of New Braunfels Academy
Site of New Braunfels Academy, the first tax-supported Texas school still existent. By act of the State Legislature (where it was called "a great question of law and public policy") the academy was incorporated in 1858 -- 18 years before the 1876 Texas Constitution provided for local taxation for school purposes.
History
Site of Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Mission - Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission
Established on 1756 in the Guadalupe River at or near present New Braunfels as an extension of the ill-fated Mission San Francisco Xavier de Horcasitas (1746-1755). Earlier located 100 miles northeast, San Francisco Xavier had been shaken by attacks, disease, and strife between friars and soldiers, which had climaxed in the murder of a friar in 1752.
History
Site of Old Schmitz Hotel
First portion--of local cedar and limestone--was built about 1851 by Rudolph Nauendorf. Early German immigrant Jacob Schmitz bought building in 1858 as new location of his "Guadalupe Hotel." Old World atmosphere of the inn-stagestand was praised by noted writer Frederick Olmsted.In 1873 third story was added and hotel was renamed for owner. Original facade has since been much altered.
History
Slumber Falls Camp
Located on the Guadalupe River Road four miles northwest of the city of New Braunfels, this area has been a popular swimming and picnicking site since the late 1800s. In the 1930s, Harry Landa sold 20 acres in the Veramendi survey to W.V. & Francis Schulz Lillie and it was developed into a tourist court. Mrs.
History
Sophienburg Hill
During the Republic of Texas period, Europeans became interested in colonizing Texas. In the 1840s, a group of German noblemen formed the Adelsverein or the Society for the Protection of German Immigration in Texas. Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels became the Adelsverein's first Commissioner General and founded New Braunfels on March 21, 1845.
History
Specht's Crossing
Area settlers in horse-drawn carriages used this gravel bed low water crossing of the San Antonio-Blanco Road to reach the German settlement of Spring Branch. Despite frequent floods, use of the crossing increased during the years (1875-1906). Spring Branch postmaster Hans (Von) Specht maintained the post office in his hilltop home overlooking the crossing.
History
Spring Branch Post Office
Gottlieb Elbel and Christiane Zeh immigrated to Texas from Germany in 1849. They married and settled this farm and were among the founders of Spring Branch Creek. Gottlieb built this two-room log cabin in 1852 where the family lived.
History
Startzville Community
The area of Startzville was established at the intersection of Cranes Mill Road and Sattler Road. In 1940 Bruno and Viola Elbel built a cedar yard and store. Curt and Alice Schlameus Startz leased the building in 1944, operated the store and eventually bought the property in 1946. Curt Startz was the grandson of Heinrich and Louise Artzt Startz that settled in the area in the 1850s.
History
Stephen Klein Home
Built 1846 by Stephen Klein. one of our first Comal County Commissioners; "fachwerk" construction. Purchased by Edward Naegelin, Sr. in 1868. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Texas Germans in the Civil War
In 1861, ten heavily German counties in Texas voted against secession, though Comal County was as exception. States' rights puzzled some voters. Many had lately taken naturalization oaths. After secession, some avoided military duty from concern about their families. Others left to join U.S.units. Majority sentiment supported the Confederacy.
History
The Eggeling Hotel
Emilie (Kuse) (1854-1930) and Theodor Eggeling (1851-1916), who owned the nearby Plaza Hotel, built this second establishment in 1898-1900. New Braunfels contractor Christian Herry supervised the construction of the galleried building. Later renamed the Comal Hotel, the business was operated by members of the Eggeling family for over 50 years.
Architecture
The Hofheinz House
The Hofheinz House German Native Frederick Hofheinz came to the New Braunfels area with his family in 1852. He later settled In Kendall County and wed Emilie Wilke. He served as Grand Lodge president of the Texas Sons Of Hermann and ran for Texas lieutenant governor before moving to New Braunfels In 1905.The couple built this home the next year.
Architecture
The Moeller House
Erected by John George Moeller, working alone, 1859 to 1866. Materials used: hand-cut limestone, 18-foot cedar beams and rafters, cypress floors of random width boards. Occupied 1881-1910 by Johannes Moeller family;later, by Nowotnys. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.1970
Architecture
The Voigt House
On lot deeded in 1845 to New Braunfels schoolmaster Hermann Seele. Fine Mansard-roof house was built 1870 by Dr. John P. Lehde. It has been owned since 1893 by family of Gustav Voigt (1854-1927), and Frank B. Voigt (1892-1951), a state legislator. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973
History
The Wilhelm Weidner Homestead
Using stone quarried in Cibolo Creek bed, cedar from the nearby Kramme farm, and locally-made cypress shingles and lumber, Wilhelm Weidner (1835 - 1907) copied his ancestral home in Germany in building his two-story home here in 1873-1875. He incorporated a log house owned by his wife Maria (Kramme), for more room.
History
Ullrich Home
Sand brick home built 1855, by Geo. Ullrich, who had driven first wagon of German emigration Co. settlers in 1845 across the Guadalupe River. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Waisenhaus (Orphanage)
Known as first orphanage in State of Texas. Chartered in 1848 as "Western Texas Orphan Asylum" by L. C. Ervendberg (d. 1863), pastor of New Braunfels. Because of severe epidemics, many children were homeless. At this site Ervendberg built this house (now much remodeled) and began a farm. Here he reared 19 orphans as well as his own 5 children. He also held classes and taught farming techniques.