Nature
Landa Park
Joseph Landa purchased the land that now encompasses this park in 1859. The Comal Springs, the largest group of springs in the American Southwest, are the focus of the park. Landa used the Comal River to power gristmills, cotton and woolen factories, an ice plant and a brewery. During the Civil War, a saltpeter processing plant was also located on the site.
Architecture
Louis Henne Co.
Victorian embellishments distinguish this structure, built 1893 by noted local contractor Christian Herry. Owner Louis Henne (1840 -1912) worked in the family tin shop next door, expanded to this site. Third generation now conducts this business. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973
Civic & Local
Main Plaza Bandstand
Following a petition by local residents, the City of New Braunfels built its Main Plaza Bandstand in 1905. Neo-classical in design, it originally served as a stage for summer evening concerts by the Waldschmidt Fire Department Band.
History
Mill Street Telegraph Station
What began as smoke signals from hill to hill evolved into lines on poles. The telegraph was introduced in the United States in the mid-1800s and many cities in Texas began constructing lines and stations. New Braunfels opened its first telegraph station in the 1860s at the Guadalupe Hotel.
History
Mission Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1757 for the purpose of civilizing and Christianizing the Tonkawas, Mayeyes, and their associates. Formerly at Mission San Francisco Xavier on the San Gabriel River. Abandoned in 1758.
History
Mission Valley School
German settlers established the Mission Valley community, named for an earlier Spanish mission, in the mid-1840s. Area families educated their children in their homes before brothers Karl and Julius Brehmer donated land for the first community school in 1870.
Nature
Natural Bridge Caverns
Discovered March 27, 1960, by four students of St. Mary's University, San Antonio. Named for the rock bridge that marks entrance. Dedicated on August 5, 1964 by Governor John Connally. Of early cretaceous age; still forming. Site of artifacts from 5000 B.C., and human remains at least 8,000 years old; also Indian campsites. 1967
History
Near River Crossing Used by New Braunfels' First Settlers
At the crossing of the San Antonio-Nacogdoches Road on the Guadalupe River (used earlier by some of Texas' most famous trail-blazers) about 200 German colonists ended a journey that had begun six months before, in Europe. Here, on Good Friday,1845, they founded the town of New Braunfels, named for the estate of Prince Solms-Braunfels, the commissioner-general of the German Emigration Society.
History
New Braunfels
Founded on March 21, 1845 by Carl, Prince of Solms-Braunfels, Commissioner-General of the Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas. Named after Prince Solms' estate, Braunfels, on the Lahn River in Germany. Its permanence was assured by John O. Meusebach, the second Commissioner-General. The first colonial officials were Jean J.
History
New Braunfels
Founded in Republic of Texas, 1845, by Prince Karl of Solms-Braunfels. Focal point of German immigration to central and western Texas. Sent men, goods to Confederacy, in Civil War. Historic, recreational, tourist center. Site of Landa Park and Sophienburg Museum. The Comal is known as shortest large-volume river in U.S.
History
New Braunfels Academy
The first German settlers here in the 1840s were assured by their sponsor--The Society for the Protection of German Immigrants to Texas--that schools would be provided in their colony. The society hired its first teacher in 1845, and classes began that August.
History
New Braunfels Cemetery
Dedicated at the burial of Mrs. Elise Peter, on June 23,1845, a few months after New Braunfels was founded. This cemetery gave rest to many colonists in early years of hardship that besieged the German Emigration Company. Gerlach Peter, husband of the first tenant, was buried in July as one other of the 20 fatalites of 1845. There were 348 bruials in 1846.
History
New Braunfels Gemischter Chor Harmonie
German immigrants to Texas embraced their traditional culture of music, art, societies and clubs. On March 2, 1850, the singing society "Germania" was organized in New Braunfels under direction of Gottfried Joseph Petmecky (1809-1871). The group sponsored their first singing event at that year's Fourth of July celebration on the banks of the Comal River.
History
New Braunfels Schuetzen Verein
The New Braunfels Schuetzen Verein organized in 1849 as one of the nation's early shooting clubs. German immigrants founded the town only four years earlier in 1845 and brought the tradition of target shooting to America from their homeland. The need to provide food and protect homes also necessitated the practice in the New Braunfels area, as many early settlers joined the organization.
History
New Braunfels Woolen Mill
German immigrants August Tolle and Dr. Theodor Koester purchased lots 271 and 272 in 1864 and built a large two-story building 100 feet long and 60 feet wide using hewn trunks of cedar. The building was built as a brandy distillery and to manufacture medicinals. In 1868, the building was sold to the New Braunfels Woolen Mill Manufacturing Company.
History
New Braunfels: County Seat of Comal County
Early inhabitants of this area included Karankawa, Lipan, Tonkawa and Waco Indians. Between 1844 and 1846, the Verein Zum Schutze Deutscher Einwanderer in Texas (Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas) sent more than 7,000 German settlers. Several hundred of them arrived in this area in 1845.
Architecture
Old Carl W. Groos Home
Built about 1870 of adobe brick with cypress floor, doors. Has original rolled glass window, ruby glass in front door. It has been home to Carl W. Gross; Judge Adolf Giesesck; merchant Fritz Scholl; and H. Dittlinger, flour miller. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1968
Architecture
Old Krause Building
Built about 1860 by master carpenter Friedrich Krause of hand-cut native cedar, cypress, limestone, and adobe brick. Once Weber & Deutsch store, Hoffmann Opera House,and drill hall for Clement's Rifles of Texas Militia. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1968 (Incise in base: Renovation in 1966 by Richard Dedeke Family.)
Architecture
Old Lex Homestead
Built 1873-74 by Peter Lex (1849-1921), German-born pioneer, and wife Carolina. All rock in the original structure was hand-cut and faced. This story-and-half limestone farm cottage is typical of German houses of the Texas Hill county. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969
Architecture
Old New Braunfels High School
Built in 1913 to replace the old New Braunfels Academy, this building was designed by San Antonio architects C.V. Seutter and Alister Shand, and built by local contractor Adolph F. Moeller. It served as an educational facility for over fifty years.
Architecture
Old Schmidt Home
Built 1850s of adobe, hand-hewn cedar, pine, oak. Has pitched roof, outside stair. Story and half. "Fachwerk" style. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark--1968
Architecture
Old Scholl House
Fachwerk (adobe brick and hewn cedar) section was built about 1847 by Heinrich Scholl, Jr. The newer part is Victorian. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.
History
Original Gruene Mercantile
Founded in 1878 by Henry D. Gruene to serve the families working on his cotton farm, the original Gruene Mercantile served many purpose for the community. In addition to providing food, clothing, household goods and farm implements, the store was a stage stop and a post office. It was also used as a distribution point for H. D. Gruene's distillery, selling his Green River brand whiskey.
History
Original Site of Mountain Valley School
Original site of Mountain Valley School The original Mountain Valley School was located at this site for 83 years. In 1874, Carl and Matilda Marschall sold one acre to Fritz Krause, Fritz Pantermuehl and Joachim Pantermuehl for use as a school.
History
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Cemetery
This historic cemetery was established by Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church to meet the needs of the growing Mexican American New Braunfels population that increased in the late 1880s through the 1900s. In 1926, the church organized and, in 1931, the parish purchased land adjacent to Hidalgo Cemetery. The cemetery was enlarged and fenced in 1961.