History
Nathaniel C. Hazen
Came to Texas in January, 1836; led out to be shot with Fannin's men, March 27, 1836, but escaped. Fought at San Jacinto in Captain William H. Patton's company. Died in Columbia, December 27, 1836.
History
Near Site of Dance Gun Shop
Started on Brazos River in 1850 by brothers J. H., George, and David Dance. Shop produced guns which helped arm the Confederacy during Civil War, 1862-65. The firearms were noted for precision. Shop also made machinery for grist mills, cotton gins, sugar refineries, and sawmills. (1970)
History
Near Site of the First Capitol of the Republic of Texas
About 1833 Leman Kelsey built a story-and-a-half clapboard structure near this location. When Columbia became capital of the Republic of Texas in 1836, the building was one of two which housed the newly formed government. The first Republic of Texas Congress convened in Columbia. Here Sam Houston took office as president and Stephen F. Austin as secretary of state.
History
Old Brazoria Cemetery
Site given to Brazoria in 1827 by government of Mexico as cemetery for Catholics; thus was open to all residents, as all Austin Colony settlers were legally Catholics. By 1930, this was full, and new cemetery opened. Most pioneer families have members buried here. (1967)
History
Old Brazoria County Courthouse
Angleton's first permanent courthouse was built in 1897, a year after the city was chosen Brazoria County seat. Constructed from plans originally drawn for the Matagorda County courthouse, the structure was enlarged and extensively remodeled in 1927. After the building suffered some structural damage in a 1932 storm, the county erected a new courthouse but maintained offices here until the 1970s.
History
Old Columbia Cemetery
Site given by Josiah H. Bell family-- out of their grant, the first deeded to one of "Old 300" in colony of Stephen F. Austin. Has graves of many heroes of Texas Revolution of 1836. Deeded in 1852 to Bethel Presbyterian Church; since 1933 managed by Columbia Cemetery Association.
History
Old Oakland Plantation
Founded 1828 by Henry Wm. Munson, who bought site from Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas. This land joined Peach Point Plantation, Austin's home. Munson, one of Texans in uprising over injustices at Anahuac and Velasco in 1832, died in yellow fever epidemic in 1833. (1965)
History
Old Quintana
Named for a Mexican general. Early as 1532 a thriving village. Port of entry in Republic of Texas. Strategic port in Civil War. Industrial area, cattle and cotton shipping point, 1870-1900. Fashionable summer colony, 1884 and afterwards. Largely destroyed in 1900 storm. Now a resort and fishing center. (1964)
Military
Old Velasco, C. S. A.
Historic and key Texas port of entry located near here. During the Civil War was fortified by troops and 8 gun batteries at the mouth of the Brazos River, to provide shelter and landing facilities for blockade runners; to protect rich farmlands; and to prevent Federal invasion. The South exchanged cotton for European guns, ammunition, milled goods and medicines for army and home use.
History
One-Eighth Mile South to Peach Point
Home of Mrs. Emily M. Perry 1795-1851, only sister of Stephen F. Austin, who regarded the place as his home after the burning of San Felipe on March 29, 1836.
Transport
Pearland and The Santa Fe Railroad
The Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad built a siding switch called "Mark Belt" near here in 1883 as part of its Houston to Alvin branch rail line. In 1893 William Zychlinski purchased 2560 acres in this area which he subdivided and platted in 1894. Included in Zychlinski's subdivision was the 273-acre townsite of Pearland. S. M.
History
Perkins Family Cemetery
Stephen William Perkins (1808-1876) and his wife Anna Elizabeth (Walcott) came to Texas in 1840. They settled first in Montgomery County, and later in Velasco. In 1842 they built a home near this site. The Perkins family began a small family graveyard on their farm when one of their children died.
History
Phair Cemetery
On land granted Stephen F. Austin by Mexico. Site given by E. B. and Mollie Thomas, devout Methodists. Since first grave, 1853, many early Texans have been buried here. Church was built by Wm. Hoskins. Community named for Rev. George Phair, pastor here 1875-1876 and 1882-1885. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Phillips Family Cemetery
Zeno Phillips, one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colonists, acquired land here in 1829. Zeno and his brothers John Clark, Sidney, and James Ray (J. R.) Phillips, served in the Republic of Texas Army. The cemetery began with the burial of Zeno and John C. Phillips in 1835. J. R., who inherited part of the property (known as Waverly Place), and members of his family are buried here.
History
Quintana Cemetery
On the other side of the storm levee is one of the last physical reminders of the early Texas seaport of Quintana. The Quintana Cemetery began as the family burial ground of Henry and Josephine Seaburn, who began homebuilding and shipbuilding businesses here in the days of the Republic of Texas.
History
R. O'Hara Lanier School
In 1947, the various African American communities of the recently organized Brazosport Independent School District were consolidated. At Velasco, children from Freeport, Jones Creek, Clute and Evergreen gathered together in one building. For additional space, an army barrack was brought to the site. The school was named after Dr.
History
Samuel Damon
(1809 - 1883) Born in Massachusetts. Came to Texas in 1831. Served in Texas Revolution at Siege of Bexar as wagonmaster for Stephen F. Austin, "Father of Texas". Stole the bells of Mission Concepcion (property of Mexico, Texas' enemy) to melt into bullets. Also aided Gen. Sam Houston in 1836 campaign Received a land grant from Republic of Texas, 1838.
History
Samuel Tubbs Angier, M.D.
Samuel Tubbs, born in Pembroke, Massachusetts in 1792, took the surname of his paternal grandmother, Katurah Angier, in 1812. He received his medical degree from Brown University in 1823 and in 1824 came to Texas as a member of Austin's Old 300 colony.
History
Sandy Point Cemetery
Early county cemetery. Started before 1845. Land once part of great sugar and cotton plantations. Buried in this tract are veterans of 1836 Texas Revolution and Civil War (1861-65); also members of ill-fated Mier Expedition. Col. B. F. Terry, organizer of Terry's Texas Rangers, was formerly buried here. (1970)
History
Sheriff Joe H. Snow
(1872 - 1920) Born in West Columbia, Texas. Married; had one son. Served as justice of the peace, Precinct 2, 1900-1912. Was appointed deputy sheriff of Brazoria County in 1913; elected sheriff in 1918; reelected for an additional 2-year term. Was killed in line of duty after long horseback chase to arrest a suspected horse thief.
History
Sinking Site of the Blockade Runner "Acadia"
The sidewheel steamer "Acadia", owned by Canadians, set out on her maiden voyage in Dec. 1864 for Nassau, Havana, and vera Cruz. Loaded with food, hardware, and clothing, she braved the Federal blockade to bring the goods to suffering Texans. Early on feb. 6, 1865, in heavy fog she grounded in sticky clay 300 yards off this beach. Her crew and cargo came safely ashore.
History
Site of "Orozimbo"
Home of Dr. James Aeneas Phelps, a member of "Old Three Hundred" of Austin's colony, hospital surgeon of the Texas Army at San Jacinto. Here Santa Anna was detained as a prisoner from July to November, 1836.
History
Site of Carry Nation's Hotel
During a brief and troubled time in her life, Carry Amelia Moore Nation (1846-1911) operated the "Old Columbia Hotel" on this site about 1880. She later achieved fame as a hatchet-wielding crusader against the use of alcoholic drink and tobacco. Born in Kentucky to slave-owning parents, Carry Moore and her family moved to Grayson County, Texas, soon after the outbreak of the Civil War.
History
Site of Crosby's Landing
Thomas Phillip Crosby (1799-1860) came to Texas from New York in 1830. After surveying sections of land along the Colorado River in 1830, he settled on this tract along the Brazos River with an eye toward building a landing for lower Brazos River plantation owners. He knew that a site on the water itself was crucial to the success of the business venture he had in mind.
History
Site of Jane Long's Tavern
Jane Herbert Wilkinson (1798-1880) was born in Maryland and moved to Natchez, Mississippi, in 1812. There in 1815 she married physician and soldier James Long (c. 1793-1822). Jane was granted land in Austin's colony in 1827, and opened a boarding house on this site in 1832. The busy port and tavern became a popular center of Anglo political activity. Here Jane hosted a benefit for stephen F.